Oct 01, 2002, 11:21 AM
Exotic Dancer
Thread OP

Anybody built/flown the Dare Curtiss Jenny?

With the cold weather coming up, I'm thinking about spending some time building a scale old timer like the Curtiss Jenny. The Dare kit looks good, and I enjoyed the results of my last dare kit (Wright Flyer), so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or building tips, or even suggestions of similar planes that are kitted well. Pics are welcome, too
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2002, 11:48 AM
Trampling out the vintage
I think the Jenny is a great modeling subject. The Dare kit has a reputation for being a good model but a little challenging for a first build, and also some or all of the wood can benefit from replacement.

For a first biplane, I highly recommend the Brisotol Scout, https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hreadid=35121. Similar in size to the Jenny but faster and easier build.

The model below is ready for framing. I have not flown it yet but expect it will be fine.
Oct 01, 2002, 11:49 AM
here's the picture
Oct 01, 2002, 11:53 AM
Here's my Bristol Scout. I flew it until it literally fell apart. I can't say enough about this model.
Oct 01, 2002, 12:22 PM
Exotic Dancer
Thread OP
Beautiful plane!

Yeah, I noticed that the Wright flyer kit was a little light on the instructions, but I enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to square up and mount 18 vertical braces. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. i also like the rigging detail on the Jenny. I'll look more closely at the scout. What motor/prop/battery did you use? I'd like to utilize some of the stuff I already have, which is why I was drawn to the dare kit.

-=D=-
Oct 01, 2002, 12:34 PM
Motley crewmember
"For a first biplane, I highly recommend the Bristol Scout, https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...threadid=35121. Similar in size to the Jenny but faster and easier build."

I'm fairly experienced at stick and tissue (but not electrics) and interested in the Dare Jenny but was concerned about the comments in here about their difficulty.
I'm in the middle of building the Scout which I bought because I had heard so much about "laser" kits solving all of life's problems and while it is a nice kit, I find it is definitely not for beginners and I'm no longer convinced that laser kits offer a big improvement.
While Dare kits are advertised as laser kits, I'm beginning to have doubts now. Don't like ARFs so are there any other S400 sized WW1 kits out there that are easier to build than either of these?
Thanks
Oct 01, 2002, 01:01 PM
Exotic Dancer
Thread OP
Welcome, R2800

I also have more than a few stick/tissue models under my belt, and enjoy a good kit, and even the challenging build. I have found the laser cut kits to have pros and cons- If the kit is done well, the parts fit together very well, but sadly very few of them are done well. Sanding the black edges off of everything can be a pain, but not a huge deal. The Dare kits I have built have fit together VERY well. the only drawbacks are the lack of instructions. I spent a few years as a prototype modelmaker and have a pretty good understanding about how to solve most problems, but this forum is a great source of instruction supplements.

What kids of problems did you run in to with the bristol kit?
Oct 01, 2002, 01:31 PM
Motley crewmember
"What kinds of problems did you run in to with the Bristol kit?"

Hmmmmmm, probably no more that you would find in most stick and tissue kits of this type. I mean, I don't want to tear it down, just try to find out where the improvement is in laser kits. I for one appreciate the manufacturers coming on here and offering their expertise and don't like to see them subjected to gratuitous criticism.
So let me just say that building the fuselage in 2 pieces, the rear section the same old box stick construction that I've built forever is an exercise in patience to get everything aligned properly. I don't build the masterpieces that I've seen here, but mine is done and it is adequate. But my guess is that there may be more than a few of them put into the closet of the builder if they have never done stick and tissue before. Also the cowling construction absolutely requires pictures. I could not figure out the sheeting and was planning to buy the Datafile (expensive) until someone building it started to post progress pics. Also, die cut would have been satisfactory if the most important pieces were laser cut, that is the wing struts. They MUST be accurate and identical, a task beyond a lot of us with just a mini saw, this is where I would think laser cutting would shine.
It may not be fair with my limited knowledge but to me "laser cut" implies something like the SR kits or the Switchback. Its just that I prefer at least "sorta scale". :-))
Of course I have not seen anyone else complain about this kit so it may just be me. But I'll tell you this, if someone offered a scale balsa kit, preferably about 50 inch wingspan at least, with the ease and accuracy of construction of the Cutie or Switchback I would be willing to pay them whatever it would take for them to make a fair profit.
So basically all I have to do is eliminate my conception of what a laser cut kit is and I have no complaints about the Scout. :-))
Oct 01, 2002, 03:31 PM
If you are a looking for a kit so good it "falls together", I'd recommend the Mountain Models C-180 for a scale subject. I have also heard that the Micro Electric Cub from House of Balsa is quite good.

I think the terms "stick and tissue" and "scale oldtimer" are somewhat at odds with the notion of say a true beginner. I don't know of any kits beyond maybe these two mentioned that a true beginner can absolutely, positively be successful with. That said, Mr. P. Tornado will have success with the Scout or the Jenny given his experience. Especially if you spend an enjoyable hour or so going through the threads on the Scout, you will see the one or two tight spots in construction identified and solved.

I agree with the comment about laser cutting, it is not per se what determines the quality of the kit. As an example of this, consider the Balsa Products Tiger Moth, http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/kits/...uctId=kits004. I built this kit some time ago and converted it to electric. It is die cut, but has excellent instructions, the parts fit perfectly, the wood quality is outstanding, and it builds up to a total weight of about 16 oz. Not quite as easy to build as the Scout but close.
Oct 02, 2002, 10:01 PM
Motley crewmember
Thanks Pork and Greg, appreciate the info and comments
Pork, sorry about interrupting your thread, just couldn't help trying to learn a little more about the Dare Jenny.
Oct 03, 2002, 09:29 AM
Exotic Dancer
Thread OP
You're not interrupting anything- we're all here to exchange info, so if you want to ask, feel free.

If I do end up going with the dare Jenny, I'll try to remember to take notes and pics as I go and I'll let you know how it goes.

-=PT=-
Oct 03, 2002, 10:19 AM
Well speaking of the Dare Jenny here are some more pictures. Before you compliment me on this fine model, let me state that it is being built by Pat Trittle, the designer. I contracted with Pat a few months ago to build this, because I have always liked the Jenny, have had the kit, but felt like I had to make some time choices. I will only take credit for some of the covering scheme research.
Oct 03, 2002, 10:21 AM
The markings are not done yet, I'll post some more pics and I hope some flight shots when everything is done.

I am hoping to soon build a Farman Sport from a Peter Rake plan.
Pete, don't worrry, I will not be subcontracting out any part of the Farman....
Oct 03, 2002, 10:26 AM
Greg,
The plan is on it's way to you. I'll be taking some time out from building to get a few others drawn up, including a 72" MS 'L'.

Pete
Oct 03, 2002, 10:46 AM
Exotic Dancer
Thread OP
Great looking model, Greg-err...Pat. What will you be using to power it? Is there a source for wooden or wooden-looking scale props? I have been checking out some sites with pictures of this plane, and it looks like one that I could have a lot of fun detailing.

thanks for the pictures!

Quick Reply