Mar 16, 2007, 06:37 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore

US Build 1

Pictures! Need to mount the motor and prep for maiden...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...32#post7105982

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2007, 03:30 PM
jamesdr

That's a great lookin plane you got there mate. Looks real enough to "eat"
Again a Staffel Kapitan's mount from JG54 "Greenhearts" on the Eastern Front
Sheesh Just can't wait to get mine

Cheers

Ian
Mar 17, 2007, 03:40 PM
Love the winter camo. I'll do mine in winter too. I can't wait till the LHS gets them.

Although, the Green Hearts were wimps. The Abbeville kids (JG26) were the real deal. The guys over at Richthofen (JG2) were also damm sharp. IMHO
Mar 17, 2007, 04:03 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Thanks for the complements folks! I have to tell ya, the first brush stroke was a real stomach turner. I'm happy with the way it turned out, next time it will be better - learning curve of one.

Jim
Last edited by jamesdr; Mar 18, 2007 at 11:24 PM.
Mar 18, 2007, 11:12 PM
I have not been well in the last two weeks ans so when I got home today from a dotors apointment lay down to rest. I had no sooner laid down when my doorbell rang.

"BINGO" it was the EMS delivery van with my GWS 190. No rtest for me after that.

I have dry assembled the 190 but unfortunately my camera batteries need charging so there no comparison pickies, between the 190 and my Me 109 and Spitfire yet. As jamesdr has said it is about 20 % larger than the original Warbirds but definitely not as large as the Formosa II or the GWS-38

The foam componets, the cowling and the canopy weigh 270 grams so it looks like the AUW without an undercarriage will be around 21 oz. The Foam beads are small, about 1/16 -3/32 in diameter and there does not apear to be any pin holes between the beads so the 190 should paint up well.

I will be starting a Build thread for this model but I will probably need a few days to recover from the flue first.
Mar 18, 2007, 11:18 PM
Hi Kensp,

It's very nice to know you are well and back.

Chen
Mar 18, 2007, 11:23 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Ken

Welcome to a very exclusive club. I maidened mine today, she flies nicely, although the recommended 2215\12 BL motor is a bit short on excess power. Have you decided on the power plant yet?

Jim
Mar 18, 2007, 11:34 PM
Dr. John

Hope you feel much better.

Hope you feel much better soon Ken, eagerly awiat your always helpfull and informative inputs. A new plane and build always pick up my spirits, just what the doctor ordered, well maybe not but works just as well.
Mar 19, 2007, 04:22 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Hope you're feeling better soon Ken - thought you'd been a bit quiet since you got back from your hols - but just take it steady! My 190 came on Friday and I want to be number 2 behind Jim so you just relax!!

I'm not doing a build thread (why do I need to - excellent reports from Jim and now maybe one from Ken) but I'm aiming for a first in that I am building mine, at least initially, as a pure PSS and will be reporting on its sloping capabilities, along with my just completed 262 which is also built as a PSS.

Photos and build summary/conclusions, if not later today, then certainly tomorrow

All I can say for now is GREAT!!!!
Mar 19, 2007, 11:37 AM
Hello!
I've ordered mine today from Joyce at Earlybird,
hope I will receive it soon...
(with 2215-12T and ESC25A)
Bye,
sebsoupe
Mar 19, 2007, 12:39 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Build observations.

Apologies to Jim if some of this repeats comments from his excellent report.

Came very well packed although something had caused very minor hangar rash to one wing. And as a very minor observation the moulding sprue had been ground back on one wing but not the other – little QC issue there I think.

The foam seems to be an improvement even over that used for the 262 – definitely, as kensp has already commented, a reduction in pinholes between the (smaller) individual foam granules and it sands well. One word of caution, though. I chose to use foam safe CA to secure the carbon tubes in the wing and because it was (unusually) slow setting I sprayed it with foam safe kicker – which turned out to disagree with the foam. Now this may be my fault but proceed carefully with this foam and supposedly “foam safe” CA.

The real thing I noticed is the attention to detail in the design – I can’t speak for the 38, not having had one but both the 262 and the 190 have features that suggest someone has really thought about the design and embodied ideas to make it stronger but also easier to build. For example on the 190 there are little mouldings (which sand off in a moment) to indicate where you should put your hinges on elevator and rudder. On the underside of the tailplane are moulded guidelines to help you line up the tailplane straight and central in the fuselage – no more squinting, measuring diagonals or any other chuffing about – hoorah!

If you gave someone a Zero and a 190 in unmarked cardboard boxes (as representing the first GWS warbird and the latest) they would very reasonably conclude they had been made by two completely different companies and the products were pitched at two completely different sets of market expectations. Mr Lin has occasionally commented that he’d like to update the existing range of warbirds to bring them in line with the latest ones. The comment always passed me by but now I can see why he wants to. And now I want him to as well – but not until after the Hurricane!!

Reading the instructions (manual excellent except for section 7 which escaped the proof reader but hopefully that will be put right quickly) I came upon “ball shaped latch” which had me foxed but they are lovely little “press studs” which secure the cowl. Warning – don’t assume the four drilling guide pips in the cowl will exactly line up with the fasteners on the fuselage. Ask me how I know this – it’s good but maybe that was an optimistic step too far. Neat latch on the battery hatch cover and oodles of room for a battery – could just about get the one out of my car in there!

Included hardware is in the new upmarket tradition – includes Y lead for aileron servo, the new GWS pushrod connectors for the servo arms (great) and the aforementioned range of plastic clips and latches, plus very good quality wheels.

I’m building mine as PSS, at least initially, and I do have one major concern which I think I’d have even if I was building it for power and that is the damage resistance ability of that huge cowl – its 5¼ inches in diameter, about 5” long and is a thin blow moulding/vac forming. I think the plane is stunning value for money but I’d like to suggest to GWS that they give consideration to offering some of these cowlings (I’m thinking of the 262 nose as well) as fibreglass mouldings – even if that means selling them as optional spare parts. I would certainly be happy to buy such items at a reasonable price. If GWS don’t do it I suggest one of the GWS dealers should find an aftermarket provider to do it.

The overall impression I have is that this is an extraordinary foam kit sold at an extraordinary price. Building one of these and comparing it with the competition, and I’ve built many of those too – I found myself thinking either how do they do this at the price or what am I getting extra from the competition – answer – don’t know.

9½/10 (I never give 10!!! ) Mr Lin to your design and production teams – you keep producing stuff like this and you’re going to give your competition some very serious .

But, but, but, but you need to make sure there’s a European marketing plan. The 38 and the 262 are here now but they’ve been “available” for months and I have still not read even a news report, never mind a product review, in any of the big four UK RC magazines. If people don’t know they’re there they wont buy them and your ads are not enough!

The plane went together exceptionally well but I've spent more time than I had available today so it's not finished (taken me about 4.5 hours to get to where I am) and has only had the first "blow over" coat of paint but I'm going to have to do some real work so that's it for the time being. I've posted pics of it with my new 262 - you may be seeing here the first completed 262 and certainly the first 190 in the UK. The 262 isn't finished either but like the 190 has been built as a PSS so watch out for some pictures when I get them out on the hill (which with the weather as it is at least a week away - hence the indoor pictures). Well done GWS!!!
Last edited by Roger Lombard; Mar 19, 2007 at 12:57 PM.
Mar 19, 2007, 01:23 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Roger - your comments are right on the mark. I had built a Spitfire a few months ago and when I built the 190, I was, as you were, blow away on just how well things fit together. If you had a painted model, you could easily have it flying in less than a day, two evenings of modest building tops. I was also very impressed with the tail wheel, bearing assembly. Plus the keys for the wing and fuselage are exceptionally well done.

Jim
Last edited by jamesdr; Mar 19, 2007 at 02:02 PM.
Mar 19, 2007, 05:11 PM
jamesdr and Roger

I was impressed with the ease of assembly of the 190 when I did my dry fit. I had thought that part of the reason was that the last three models I had assembled were twins, one P38 and two Me 262s. But both you and Roger also feel that the quality of this new kit makes the assemby easier.

Ken
Mar 19, 2007, 05:12 PM
Gloves are awkward
Roger,

How did you get hold of a 190?

(He says very jealously)
Mar 19, 2007, 07:08 PM
Suspended Account
Very nice Roger I wish I could find one. The question I have is what motor do you paln to use?

James said the GWS 2215\12 is a little underpowered I'm wondering if an M005 4600 KV with a gearbox would fly one with authority. Anyway I'm jelous.

Quick Reply