Feb 14, 2007, 07:01 PM
Micro Zippy
Thread OP
Discussion

What would I use to thin out contact cement?

Like the subject says: What would I use to thin out contact cement?
Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2007, 08:22 PM
Use acetone.

Greg
Feb 14, 2007, 08:44 PM
is it flying time?
A good idea Greg, unless he wants to use it on foam. Old fashioned lighter fluid will thin most contact cements. Rubbing alchol will also thin most of them. What every you use test to make sure that it is compatable with the materials that you want to use it on.

Jerry
Feb 14, 2007, 08:52 PM
Micro Zippy
Thread OP
Thanks for the advice. I've got some rubbing alchol in my med cabinat. I'll try that first. And nope, no foam...i'm using CF rods and ceran wrap
Feb 14, 2007, 10:08 PM
del
del
There are water based contact cements...

--del
Feb 14, 2007, 11:33 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Look on the container the cement comes in and see what they recommend for a cleanup solvent. Different cements will use different things.

I use Dap Weldwood Contact Cement and the correct solvent for it is Xylene. Xylene is cheap and easy to find so I have no reason to substitute something else.

Pete
Feb 15, 2007, 03:35 AM
3D Toy Designer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconwell
Like the subject says: What would I use to thin out contact cement?
Thanks
There are different types so it is always safe to read the can and see what it takes for clean up, it will tell you what to use.

Bill
May 21, 2021, 03:02 AM

Peter L Warren

On Thinning contact adhesive, advice was to see what is recomended for cleanup. Alcolin contact says acetone or thinners, but neither work to thin once the glue gets thick. It makes the glue separate and becomes stringy in both cases. I will try to get xylene, but not in local hardware stores.
May 22, 2021, 07:07 AM
aka crossup
Ace, TrueValue and Homedepot stock it around here, should not be difficult to find it. Also a staple at marine supply stores. Worse case Amazon. Also it may be time for you to switch contact cements, many are available in fairly thin viscosity and dont forget spray types like 3M 77.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter L warren
On Thinning contact adhesive, advice was to see what is recomended for cleanup. Alcolin contact says acetone or thinners, but neither work to thin once the glue gets thick. It makes the glue separate and becomes stringy in both cases. I will try to get xylene, but not in local hardware stores.
Jul 24, 2021, 09:00 AM
56S
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Having what's left of an old gallon of Dap Weldwood original contact cement I tried different solvents and finally found one that works. Calling Dap was no help. Acetone looked promising but after a few hours separated. Alchohol, mineral spirits and lacquer thinner didn't do it either. What did work and has stayed mixed for a week was Xylol. 6 bucks at the local farm store for a wuart. Yesterday I brushed a lite coat of thinned contact cement on a wing structure, waited two hours and applied painted 2um mylar. It went very well.

Quick Reply