Multiplex Funjet "Fast" setups... - RC Groups
Feb 13, 2007, 12:13 PM
Discussion

Multiplex Funjet "Fast" setups...

...as an experienced modeler (over 25 years in the hobby), i find the current Ezone Funjet thread a little misleading...in other words, after reading much of the main thread, i was very concerned about my AUW with the Mega 16-25-3 and Thunderpower Extreme 2070 4s1p - but my findings are that this plane, in fact, flies very light at just over 23 oz...(i probably could have gone with 5s)...

...people talk up "mild" setups & make statements like "...notice how all the people with the fast setups have disappeared..." - i don't get it! - i've got a Katana, Knife, Straight Edge, & The Judge for torque rolls, harriers, and harrier rolls (flying slow), Kyosho Cap and an Ultimate for scale aerobatics, a Freestyle for pattern aerobatics, and 3 Raptors, a Trex, and a Blade CP for heli 3D flying...and when i want to fly fast!...i pull out the Pico Jet, Projeti, or the new Funjet!!!...the Funjet is faster and at 23 oz. lands better than either the Pico or Projeti...i currently have over 275 flights on my Pico Jet (same foam as the Funjet) so i don't see any problem in eventually having that many on my Funjet (barring radio problems or "dumb thumbs")...

...and they talk about it being a "draggy" airframe...yeah, i guess - my setup has been dopplered @ 116 mph (draggy? - try putting some real power on it (30 amps) instead of an outrunner) - one thing i will say it does slow down for a nice landing in only a 3-5 mph headwind - i highly recommend a fast setup for the Funjet (note the word "jet" in Funjet - "jet" = fast!...

...here's my highly recommended setup - (it was tested by Kirk Massey, New Creations RC - one of the more knowledgable electric R/Cer's in the country, IMO, before i purchased it - he did not recommend an outrunner!)

Mega 16-25-3
Berg 7 channel receiver
Jeti Spin 44
Thunderpower Extreme 4s1p 2070 mah

...i tached it @ 20,000 rpm's on a peaked battery - this setup (not my plane) has been dopplered @ 116 mph - after one flight, i'd say that's pretty accurate for mine...about what i was looking for in a FUN!!!! JET!!! - my setup used approx. 1300 mah in 6-7 minutes in the air (quite a bit of throttling back)...

...i modified only 3 things on the kit - added magnets to the hatch for more secure hold-down, used heavier duty music wire for the elevon linkages (too much flex in the included ones), and used a Dremel to cut a deeper & wider slot in the motor mount screws...

...i'm sure there's better/hotter setups out there (Hackers, etc.) so let's have 'em - and if no one else posts to this thread, at least if someone new to this site purchases a Funjet & comes to Ezone looking for info, they're search will bring up an alternative to the overwhelming preponderance of "mild" setups in the primary Funjet thread...Multiplex has done an outstanding job with this kit - no wonder it's sold out so much of the time...
Last edited by GaryB; Feb 14, 2007 at 10:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2007, 12:22 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
Well the recommended Himax power setup on a 3s is hotter than your Mega setup.
No offence but your setup is pretty mild. There's quite a few hot setups in the Funjet thread.

Mark
Feb 13, 2007, 12:30 PM
...i quote from my above post - "i'm sure there's better/hotter setups out there (Hackers, etc.) so let's have 'em"...

...i don't define 116 mph as "pretty mild" but if you do...ok...
Feb 13, 2007, 12:44 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
What exactly are you expecting from this thread. The 116mph is a little hard to believe on your setup. In a dive maybe. What prop were you using.

I think there's plenty of Funjet upgrade options here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474757

Mark
Feb 13, 2007, 12:51 PM
"What exactly are you expecting from this thread."

...again, for my purpose, i quote from my original post...

"...i'm sure there's better/hotter setups out there (Hackers, etc.) so let's have 'em - and if no one else posts to this thread, at least if someone new to this site purchases a Funjet & comes to Ezone looking for info, they're search will bring up an alternative to the overwhelming preponderance of "mild" setups in the primary Funjet thread..."

...all i would add to that would be that i am looking for a faster way to find info on "fast setups" without taking hours having to look through 159 pages of info (most of which is "mild" setups) - i've seen your setup - it's impressive - if you don't want to post it here you don't have to - so what's the problem?...

...and you know your questioning my setup only validates my reason for this thread - i made my decision by going through over 100 pages of Ezone posts on the Funjet...& then choosing what i thought was the best "fast", medium priced setup - it's really an overwhelming amount of data to go through & make a valid decision - if all the info on fast setups was in a single thread i might have made a different decision...
Last edited by GaryB; Feb 13, 2007 at 01:13 PM.
Feb 13, 2007, 01:30 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
The fact is, my setup is what I would call mild. Its the recommended power setup fo the Funjet. Sure it fly's great, but it ain't no rocket. So for anybody to go with a lower spec motor hasn't really done there homework.
I'm a little surprised that a Mr Kirk Massey recommended your motor if he knows so much about electric rc.

Mark
Feb 13, 2007, 01:46 PM
...actually, it's Crash Test Dummy's setup - Kirk tested it for me before i bought it - he recommended the Graupner 6x6 (Crash Test Dummy was using the 6.5 x 6.5, i think and his was dopplered @ 116 mph)...

...i'm very happy with it - it's fast!...
Feb 13, 2007, 01:51 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
How many Amps do you pull on the 6x6 prop using a 4s.

Mark
Feb 13, 2007, 01:55 PM
...around 29.5 amps, approx. 20,000 rpm's, Graupner 6 x 6 speed on a peaked battery - i may go to a Graupner 6.5 x 6.5...

...(Kirk Massey predicted well over 100 mph (i don't remember if he said 115 or 120)...and maybe it is just coming out of a dive that it's that fast...but the fact is, it's so fast...it seems like the majority of the flight you're coming out of a dive (after a stall turn, victory rolls, Immelman)...
Last edited by GaryB; Feb 13, 2007 at 02:30 PM.
Feb 13, 2007, 02:05 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
Well now we have the niceties out the way, here's my setup

Himax 2825/2700 brushless
Castle Creations Phoenix 60 ESC
Flightpower 3s1p 2500mah lipo
APCE 5.5x4.3 prop

Pulls 32Amps

Mark

Video www.rcflights.co.uk/Videos/FunJetMpx.wmv
Feb 13, 2007, 03:20 PM
Had:
JGF 450TH 2950kv
40a ESC
3000 15C 3s1p
5.5x4.5

Very, very fast and about 34 amps...

Now:
JGF 400F
25a ESC
2100 15C 3s1p
APC 6x4

Very fast and about 18.4 amps
Feb 14, 2007, 12:43 PM
Hey now,
So as my old Twin Jet is getting soft around the edges I've been looking at the new Fun Jet as a possible replacement for a mid range speedster.
I'm surprised to read that y'all think 116 is fast. For me that's just a nice mid range speed. My Avionik D99 is fast; radared at 185 mph and I don't expect a draggy airframe like the MPX jets to be fast in that class no matter what we run on them.

Anyway I bought the Twin jet to be a Stryker killer in our local delta pylon races, and it is a lot faster than they are. But it's getting sloppy and I'd rather use the gear in two models instead of tying it up in one draggy foamie.
I'm interested in seeing what kind of drives the guys are using to get decent speed. kep it up...
RobII
Feb 14, 2007, 01:26 PM
...please don't take this wrong, but here's an example of what i'm talking about...as far as Ezone threads can be misleading...

MarkJayne quote from this thread regarding my Mega setup - "Well the recommended Himax power setup on a 3s is hotter than your Mega setup.
No offence but your setup is pretty mild. There's quite a few hot setups in the Funjet thread."

another MarkJayne quote from this thread regarding my Mega setup - "The fact is, my setup is what I would call mild. Its the recommended power setup fo the Funjet. Sure it fly's great, but it ain't no rocket. So for anybody to go with a lower spec motor hasn't really done there homework.
I'm a little surprised that a Mr Kirk Massey recommended your motor if he knows so much about electric rc."

...running both setups through Electricalc...

MarkJayne setup:
Himax 2825/2700 brushless
Castle Creations Phoenix 60 ESC
Flightpower 3s1p 2500mah lipo
APCE 5.5x4.3 prop

...Electricalc gives - Eff. 76%, 321 watts, 23710 RPM's, 28.5 amps, 33 oz. thrust, Pitch Speed - 92 mph...

My setup:
Mega 16-25-3
Berg 7 channel receiver
Jeti Spin 44
Thunderpower Extreme 4s1p 2070 mah
Graupner 6 x 6 speed

...Electricalc gives - Eff. 81%, 401 watts, 22,220 RPM's, 26.7 amps, 35 oz. thrust, Pitch Speed - 114 mph...

...with the prop unloading in the air, i would have to say my Funjet comes real close to the 110 - 120 mph range - i would still call it "fast" as defined in the context of a hand-launched foamy...maybe "mid range" fast or "mild" fast is more accurate...how about 110 - 120 mph fast?...i know there's faster 5s & 6s setups out there - i just wasn't brave enough to try 5s or 6s because of the extra weight...
Last edited by GaryB; Feb 14, 2007 at 08:23 PM.
Feb 14, 2007, 01:40 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
For a start the amount of thrust electricalc has predicted for my Funjet is way out. My setup throws out just over 700g of thrust, not 935g.

Mark
Feb 14, 2007, 03:55 PM
...from what Electricalc predicts (and from my personal experience), it appears that the Mega 16-25-3 4s setup would be a better choice if your goal is 110 mph plus - i am also impressed with the flight time on this setup - also, it slowed down very good in only a 3-5 mph headwind for landing...(i only had to remove a very small amt. of foam to fit the 4s in the fuse)...

...if you're looking to go in the 90's & want to run 3s, the Himax 2825/2700 might be a better choice?...(i haven't tried the Mega 16-25-3 on 3s yet)...
Last edited by GaryB; Feb 14, 2007 at 04:12 PM.