Feb 09, 2007, 06:06 PM
Marcus Franco
Thread OP
New Product

NEW Material for Indoor Envelopes Lauched...

Looks Like someone finally lauched a Material for Indoor Envelopes...

Oracover from Germany has lauched this film (ORACOVER AIR) for making Indoor Blimp Envelopes... Maybe even for Outdoor Blimps...

I would like some replies from people of the Blimp forum... stating its quality and performance, as well as all technical information possible...

Please make it simpler on your selves... if you are in Europe...
Maybe the factory is in your town if you are in Germany...

Check this out...

http://lanitz.dbfakt.com/site.jsp?no...93103808094160

ORACOVER AIR - code # 300 -
The covering for light constructions. Wherever minimum weight is demanded, wherever weight has to be reduced to its limits, ORACOVER AIR is the product to be applied. Whether indoor flyers, park flyers, blimps or airships are to be built, ORACOVER AIR will do the covering job. In contrast to ORACOVER, ORACOVER AIR is supplied without the hotmelt adhesive layer. The hotmelt adhesive layer is to be applied to the surface by means of a brush. ORACOVER AIR is available in five different ranges of strength and weight
Last edited by Guga; May 27, 2010 at 06:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2007, 11:08 PM
Whats a search engine?
Dont know Guga. But it sure look promising . In the blimp photo , The seams are heat sealed .. isn't that how this film works ? . When you heat the film it shrinks ... so the entire envelope is shrunk to give a wrinkle free finish ....? Or is this blimp a rigid ...? Doesn't look like one . How'd they do that ?
Last edited by inventing_man; Feb 09, 2007 at 11:17 PM.
Feb 10, 2007, 02:30 AM
if I'm not mistaken, someone installed the gondola backwards in that photo.

*looks like the tail end of the gondola's facing you.*
Feb 10, 2007, 04:13 AM
Mostly harmless
There are no statements about how gastight it is (but if the oracover air light is meant for blimps, I would quess it is), and it is stated pretty clearly that the film comes "without adhesive". The adhesive needs to be brushed on the seams later on, but it will be heat sealable. There are, however, no instructions about how the seams are made gastight...
Feb 10, 2007, 09:45 AM
It just seems like an ordinary covering for airplane models, and they made a blimp out of it to show it could be done. Hobby Lobby in the US sells it as Polycover. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/oracover.htm
Feb 10, 2007, 01:06 PM
Marcus Franco
Thread OP
I have made a Blimp envelope with monokote it work very well... but the problem was the adhesive material that I had to eliminate... it was to much work...
Now this material where you can apply yourself the adhesive where you want it is much easier...
Feb 10, 2007, 02:02 PM
Mostly harmless
But it is still similar to glueing it... with the exact same problems (the need of a gore tool of a sort, the bow and tail capping, the final seam, etc...)
Feb 10, 2007, 04:26 PM
Whats a search engine?
So its not heat sealed ..?
Feb 10, 2007, 05:16 PM
Mostly harmless
You need to aplly a special heatsealing adhesive to the joints, so it is like gluing mylar with hot melt glue (but I quess oracover works better...)
Feb 11, 2007, 11:17 AM
Whats a search engine?
Wonder if this brush on sealent will work on mylar too ...?
Feb 11, 2007, 05:55 PM
I too would be interested in this adhesive; is it any better than UHU Power stick? It is probably well nigh impossible to get this stuff shipped to Australia (as it is no doubt highly inflammable), so I would be interested to hear anyone else's experience in its joint strength, compared to UHU. I don't think gas tightness is really an issue, as long as the glue joint is smooth and continuous it should not leak.
Feb 12, 2007, 04:23 AM
Mostly harmless
one possibility is to contact oracover to find the nearest reseller. I would quess your neares hobby store could order that adhesive for you (I quess this is how I will have to roceed if I'm to get the new envelope ready some day)
Feb 16, 2007, 06:14 AM
Marcus Franco
Thread OP
Just received this Email from Claudia from Oracover...

Dear Mr. Franco,
Thank you very much for your inquiry.
Please find the information on weights etc. in the attached file.
Re size:
Width: 600 mm
Standard roll lengths: 2m, 10m, 20m, 50m, 100m, 150m, 250m.
Before we can quote any prices we must know which quantities approximately are involved. Please kindly advise.
Please note that for payment we only accept EUR, not USD.

If by 'material to be applied by brush' you mean glue we remommend the ORATEX hotmelt adhesive, which comes in tins holding 100ml, 1l, 5l, 10l.
Price also depending on quantity.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me for this.
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: ++49-30-797877-46
Fax: ++49-30-797877-55

Best regards,
Claudia Regener
LANITZ-PRENA FOLIEN FACTORY GMBH
May 08, 2007, 05:11 PM
As I suspected, no-one is prepared to import the oracover adhesive into Australia (as its inflammable). So I will have to keep using the UHU stick.
May 09, 2007, 02:51 AM
Mostly harmless
Too bad... Would have been interested if that adhesive would have worked...
Perhaps It is available here as some oralight films are.

Another question: What are the primary differences between mylar and balloon foil? (aside from heat sealability).

Is balloon foil generally heavier than mylar? What about it's gas retention?
I just received a small piece (around 3ft * 22.6ft) of plain silver balloon foil (had to go begging to suppliers ). The piece is large enough for me to build another 5ft envelope out of it. The envelope made of emergency blanket weights 42 grams. Would the balloon foil envelope be much heavier? I can only afford having 50 gram tops If I'm to get the blimp flying with reasonably large battery.

Quick Reply