Feb 09, 2007, 09:04 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Dare Designs Stinson Voyager 108

I started the build in the build area, but later was informed that Pat Trittle often looks at the Scale Electric area, and since he is the designer of this airplane, I thought this would be the place to be! I will post the original thread started here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=635769&page=2

and now my current position is here below in the pics. I am working on the fuse now. I have glued FT9 in place, as well as the tail to get some semblence of an airplane. Since my abilities are not that great, I may have a lot of dumb questions. I am at F5 and Fb5. Obviously fb5 stands for bottom, therefore f5 is the top. I assume f5 goes where I placed it although it is not glued in place, simply held in by pressure. It was unclear to me from looking at the plan if this is correct? Obviously, it should be drilled first for the blind nuts.

I have to say this seems like a super floater. The wing is so light!! It really will fly with a speed 400!!
Last edited by taekwondo; Feb 09, 2007 at 09:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2007, 09:38 AM
pray for our troops
T,

Wow, you're alot farther along than I imagined and your work looks great. With the way Pat labels parts F=former and the number of theformer goes in sequence from the front of the plane to the back and the top and bottom horizontal pieces should lineup with the side vertical pieces basically making square shapes all the way down the fuselage giving the structure great strength with little weight.

Don't worry about feeling dumb for asking questions. I know I've had alot while I've been learning to build. Asking those questions and learning from other's experience makes things alot easier than trying t go it alone.

Rob
Feb 09, 2007, 09:54 AM
Thread OP
Rob,

thanks for the kind words. I think F5 is correct, but since I didn't want to screw it up, was hoping for an 'ave maria' from Pat! The model is amazingly light. I weighted the wing 60" at 2 ounces! minus the sheeting. Super light. I think I'd make a slight change to the plan, and if pat says put f5 in where it's at, I'd beef it up a bit since that holds the wing. Then again, since the wing is so light weight (I imagine 4ozs. when monocoted) it probably isn't necessary!!
Feb 09, 2007, 10:43 AM
I just built Pat's 48" w/s short kit Cessna One-For-Tea and did considerable beefing up and adding scale details, it came out at 19 ounces and flies great on an Esskay 400XT outrunner and 800 or 1200 mah 2S lipos. Still lands like a feather and flies very scale like. Consider using spruce sticks for longerons and stringers on the fuselage and for tail feathers. They don't add much weight, but don't break during and after build and deform due to shrinking of covering.

I have an old overly beefy 54" w/s, 28 ounce Comet Aeronca that flies well on S400 7.2 volt motor in a Mini-Olympus 2.3:1 gearbox, with Graupner 9x5 slim prop ( and spacer from Hobby Lobby), using a GWS lipo friendly brush type speed control and Tanic 2200 3S lipo pack. You should be able to use 9 Kan 1050 round cells and regular brush type speed control too. The Mini Oly gearbox sounds sorta like a 4 cylinder Franklin.

See my suggested lift strut attachement dwg
Last edited by E-Challenged; Feb 09, 2007 at 11:04 AM.
Feb 09, 2007, 11:42 AM
Thread OP
E,

Thanks for the advice. BTW I love the esskay's I have 5! I love to build, waiting for response from Pat regarding F5 to continue building!! Thanks. BTW post a pic of your aeronica and 1 for tea if you like! Love to see them.
Feb 09, 2007, 01:32 PM
Aeronaca is almost to scruffy to show, the Cessna One For Tea is still fresh.
I'm proud of the three point landing!!
Feb 09, 2007, 01:46 PM
pray for our troops
E,

You mentioned using a spacer on your Aeronca. I was wondering about this (sorry T, hope you don't mind). After attaching the cowel to my Waco I found that the motor was too far back and that the nut that goes behind the prop actually goes all the way back behind the cowel a little if I screw it all the way to the end. Even if I put another nut right in front of that the prop will brush slightly against the cowl. Would I use a spacer on the prop shaft for this or could I possibly use a locking washer between the two nuts to keep them in front of the cowel?

Rob
Feb 09, 2007, 02:23 PM
Jungmeister 55
Henry, awesome so far!!...I'll be following this thread very closely.

I do agree with the use of spruce longerons and stringers, they're so much tougher than balsa and the added weight is practically nill...

Keep feeding us pics buddy!!...

Gerry.
Feb 09, 2007, 02:26 PM
Jungmeister 55
Ohh of course...I do agree...the Esskey 400 XT would be perfect...don't we know?...he,he

Gerry.
Feb 09, 2007, 02:42 PM
Thread OP
The E looks fine, your too tough on yuor planes!
Feb 09, 2007, 02:44 PM
Thread OP
Gerry,
Nice to hear from you. I fixed up the mini super sportster as well as the saguaro and the cap 232 if your up to flying tomorrow! Let me know!

Rob, E and Gerry, I couldn't take it any more and I started working on the plane again despite the fact not having a chance to speak with Pat re the construction. If yuo forgive the pun ' I'll just have to wing it'. I glued on the wing nut holder after drilling the holes and putting in the blind nuts. I also attached the windows. I'm going to work on the support structure and look into the spruce stringers!!
Feb 09, 2007, 07:40 PM
Thread OP
Here is an update with pics! I had a very hard time following the plans, they were very basic. However, I did the best I could. Kind of like putting together a puzzle without instructions. AUW is 4 ozs. for the fuse, 3ozs. for the wing so far!!
Feb 09, 2007, 09:52 PM
Taek, I hate to do this to you now, but theres a major problem with the fuselage. In post #12, the center photo, the way the side frame was built, there are 3 longerons where there should only be 2. The very bottom longeron where the formers are attached shouldn't be there. The actual location of the bottom formers should be on the next one up, which is really the bottom longeron. As you've built the frame, you interpereted the side view in that the bottom stringers were added to the side frame in the form of a third longeron.

So, the easy fix is to carefully remove all the bottom formers and remove the bottom longeron as you have it along with all the short vertical members that are glued to what is actually the lower longeron. I've attached a photo of a Stinson Voyager fuselage frame for reference. It's not from the Dare kit, though construction is very similar.

PAT
Feb 09, 2007, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pac ace
E,

You mentioned using a spacer on your Aeronca. I was wondering about this (sorry T, hope you don't mind). After attaching the cowel to my Waco I found that the motor was too far back and that the nut that goes behind the prop actually goes all the way back behind the cowel a little if I screw it all the way to the end. Even if I put another nut right in front of that the prop will brush slightly against the cowl. Would I use a spacer on the prop shaft for this or could I possibly use a locking washer between the two nuts to keep them in front of the cowel?

Rob
The spacer I mentioned goes in the Graupner Slim prop to match it to the Mini-Olymous prop shaft. It sounds like you are planning to use a GWS 400 geardrive. If so, you can move the rear nut forward on the shaft wherever it needs to be on the prop shaft so that the prop clears the "nose bowl" when you tighten the front nut against the washer. Grip the prop while you tighten the front nut. I imagine you plan to use GWS props. I'm not happy with heavier APC brand props on skinny GWS prop shafts. The GWS props are drilled more accurately and seem balanced better right off the rack. You can paint orange GWS props with silver or black enamel. You can get some sizes/types of GWS props in black or gray too. Consult the GWS charts to determine which gear ratio you want and best prop to use with it.
Feb 10, 2007, 07:42 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Taek, I hate to do this to you now, but theres a major problem with the fuselage. In post #12, the center photo, the way the side frame was built, there are 3 longerons where there should only be 2. The very bottom longeron where the formers are attached shouldn't be there. The actual location of the bottom formers should be on the next one up, which is really the bottom longeron. As you've built the frame, you interpereted the side view in that the bottom stringers were added to the side frame in the form of a third longeron.

So, the easy fix is to carefully remove all the bottom formers and remove the bottom longeron as you have it along with all the short vertical members that are glued to what is actually the lower longeron. I've attached a photo of a Stinson Voyager fuselage frame for reference. It's not from the Dare kit, though construction is very similar.

PAT
Thanks for helping Pat, it certainly is appreciated. Before I do that, is there any reason why I can't add a third longeron? Will it affect the landing gear, or can I simply move the landing gear further down? Just wondering. Thanks for the advice Pat.

Henry

Quick Reply