Feb 07, 2007, 11:52 PM
Discussion

Picked up your Wowwee Flytech Dragonfly?

Radio Shack is supposed to have them now. Did anyone pick one up? Initial thoughts please!

Cheers!
Last edited by Manchild; Feb 07, 2007 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Typo :)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2007, 10:48 AM
What Canary?
Sure would like to know what Radio Shack has them...
Feb 08, 2007, 11:15 AM
Listed on their website as "Flytech RC Dragonfly":
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2585632&cp
Feb 08, 2007, 01:16 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Yup, I've got one on order! Now I get to go stand by the mailbox waiting.....
Feb 08, 2007, 03:30 PM
Just Plane Going To Heli
I used to work for a Radio Shack dealer. At the time they had a great system for looking up parts and other non-store products. I heard they did away with it shortly after I left. Unless that's part of the website now, replacement parts could be very difficult to come by.
Feb 08, 2007, 03:45 PM
What Canary?
has anyone entered a zip code in the "find a local store" and found a local store? Also, I only see it in green, I guess there is only one U.S. frequency? How can we create a swarm? This may be the place for my spare Plantraco, hope it flies well at 6000ft!
Feb 08, 2007, 04:00 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
I tried two zip codes and got nada. My local RS's are typically the last in the country to get something new, so I bit the bullet and ordered online
Feb 08, 2007, 08:49 PM
Me too. I couldn't find any around Seattle so I guess they are not in stores yet. I ordered mine today as well and had it overnighted (yeah, I paid the shipping premium) but I used a gift card so what the heck.

Hopefully, I'll get it tommorrow although I might have ordered it too late today to actually get it tommorrow.
Feb 08, 2007, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright
I tried two zip codes and got nada. My local RS's are typically the last in the country to get something new, so I bit the bullet and ordered online
I doubt it matters -- they're not accurate. I used the zip code finder to find a radio shack that supposedly stocked the new Estes Corsair model. It said "in stock", I sent a friend there, they had nuthin'.
Feb 09, 2007, 10:57 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnyder
I doubt it matters -- they're not accurate. I used the zip code finder to find a radio shack that supposedly stocked the new Estes Corsair model. It said "in stock", I sent a friend there, they had nuthin'.
I hear you, for a company that deals in tech products their interlinking between the web site and the individual stores is dreadful.

I got a shipping notice, so it looks like the Dragonfly is on its way here It will probably take a week via ground shipping though.

By the way, they're currently offering free shipping on orders 50.00 & over. Of course the Dragonfly is 49.99 I added a pack of batteries in to get the free shipping.
Feb 09, 2007, 10:57 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchild

Hopefully, I'll get it tommorrow although I might have ordered it too late today to actually get it tommorrow.
Cool, hopefully you'll have good enough weather to evaluate it for us Then again, looking at your location I hope you have a big indoor venue nearby
Feb 09, 2007, 11:06 AM
Tres cool, free batteries! I'm looking outside at the intermittent rain and wondering if I dare go out and test the battery packs I've been putting together...
Feb 09, 2007, 06:50 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Alright boys and girls, due to some fluke in the world of shipping that for the first time ever went in my favor, I got something MUCH SOONER than anticipated I ordered yesterday, picked the free ground shipping and it arrived today? I don't know how it happened, but I'm not complaining I will post more info shortly, but I just wanted to say... go buy this now. Don't wait, call all over town or order online, do what you have to do because if you are on this forum you NEED this toy, no doubt about it. Yes I've flown it, will report back in a few minutes
Feb 09, 2007, 07:29 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
OK, so I come home and see a box in the entryway. I'm expecting my DX7 to arrive anytime, so thought for sure this was it. But the box was far too light! I look at the label, Radio Shack? NO WAY!!! I still can't believe it got here this quick, it must have been shipped out of Dallas. So I look outside and it's not -quite- dark yet, yes I do believe I can get a flight in!

I unpack the box, take a quick pic for you guys before continuing on then proceed to remove the Dragonfly and TX from the packaging. It is 100% complete and ready to fly right out of the box. I put the batteries in the TX and hoping that there might be a slight charge in the onboard battery I head out back. Wind is blowing 8 mph, but hey, I can't wait! First of all the sound it makes is very unusual, it's almost like a whistling sound. As you have probably seen in the videos, the upper wings and lower wings flap in opposite directions giving a very convincing Dragonfly-like appearance in flight. And fly it does! I throttled up partway and pushed it, it flew gently to the ground the first couple of times. Next was a full throttle launch and it sailed away nicely! It pitched up and down a bit, I think that was due to the wind. I'll have to fly it in calmer conditions, if that pitchiness is still there I'll play with the CG. Anyway, I did fly it for several circuits around the yard and I was very impressed at how well it flew for a toy product, and an orni at that. The tail controls yaw quite effectively, and adding or reducing throttle controlled altitude smoothly. Landings were very gentle, it is light and it seems fairly robust too. I flew until it was just too dark to fly anymore, about all I could see were the glowing eyes which are very cool I went back inside to have a closer look and to recharge it.

OK, back inside I was able to examine it a little closer. The TX is of impressive quality for a toy, it has a great feel and the sticks are large and control nicely. The throttle stick is sprung, so you have to hold tension on it. There is a magnet on the TX which makes a wonderful perch for the Dragonfly both during charging and when it's not in use. The TX has a beginner and expert setting switch, I went straight to expert so I'm not sure of the difference yet. There is a trim knob for yaw. Adjusting the knob causes the tail motor to run in the corrective direction (IE, at neutral the tail motor doesn't run at all, but adjust the trim and it runs constantly). There's an LED to indicate that the TX is on. There is a small hinged door near the antenna that has the charge cord in it, it's a very small compartment and I had to use a key to dig the cord out. But, there's a notch in the door so once the cord is out, you can close the door and push all the excess cord back in leaving just the connector exposed so you don't have to dig it out next time. There's a lot of thought here! If there are steps in the throttle or tail, it's too many for me to count. Control on both is fully proportional.

The Dragonfly itself also seems to be of nice quality considering this is marketed as a toy. The body is foam with some painted details. The tail is depron with a carbon fiber reinforcement rod under it. The wings are mylar with CF rods. There is a metal wire hoop around the tail prop and a couple of wire "leg" skids up front. On/ off switch and charging port are under the body. There's an LED in each "eye". The wing supports and hinges are all plastic, hopefully they'll hold up over time! Weight is 23.9 grams or 0.85 oz. Wow!

The "eyes" glow solid when the DF is powered up, blink slowly to indicate it's charging and blink fast to indicate it doesn't sense the TX. So not only do they look cool, but they have a function too

There was a spare set of wings in the packaging as pictured below, it has a bug pattern on it versus the "electronics" pattern of the wings that are on it. There is supposed to be a spare tail prop although I haven't found it. I need to look back through the packaging, but I don't think I got one.

I didn't even bother to read the instructions before flying, so needless to say it's easy to get it into the air I did read them afterwards (wanted to make sure I had it hooked up properly for charging) and it mentions that the enclosed ribbon can be attached to the tail to slow it down and make it more maneuverable for indoor flight. Cool!

All-in-all this thing is the coolest, and I suspect it's going to bring a bazillion new visitors to the Ornithopters forum I look forward to us FINALLY getting to share the joy of ornis with a whole slew of new groupies
Feb 09, 2007, 07:50 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
OMG!!!!! I am in stunned disbelief, I just flew it in my living room and it flew great!!! I can't even fly the Plantraco Butterfly in my living room! I did run it into the walls, furniture and floor several times (no damage) before figuring out the trick is to pulse the tail rather than try and hold it. If the tail is pulsed it is a lot easier to fly circuits. I did attach the tail streamer for the indoor flying. And are you ready for this? I ROG'd off the kitchen tile into the living room And as an added bonus, this thing will taxi!! It taxis extremely well at that!! Man, I'm going to need some more of these as spares