Feb 07, 2007, 08:08 PM
You land foamies?!
Thread OP
Discussion

How do ya mount an E-Flite 450 on a lil Banchee?-Update!

I just bought the lil banchee from a guy on eBay. I can't wait to get it. What I've noticed from the pictures is the mounting system. Will I need to flip around the shaft on the motor, so that the end with the screws can attach to the mounting plate??? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Austin
Last edited by VictoryRoll-91; Feb 21, 2007 at 03:32 PM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2007, 12:12 PM
Here's how I mounted an Eflite Park 400/920 on my Banchee. Just used the screws that came with the motor. You will also have to remove the "C" clip, loosen the set screw and slide the shaft so it sticks out the other end. If you go with the Park450 you will have to trim the wood away in the motor area as the 450 is slightly longer than the 400. Not the best pics but they should give you a rough idea.

dawg
Feb 08, 2007, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't do it that way myself. On my LB, I cut a firewall out of lite plywood and glued it to the back of the cutout. I did have to cut a little bit of wood out to make things square. Then I epoxied the firewall in. I also cut some balsa tri-stock and used that to reinforce the firewall. It worked great, I didn't have to change the shaft orientation on my Park 400, and the plane flew just great.
Feb 08, 2007, 01:08 PM
Let me correct myself here. Looking at Dawg's LB brings back the memory more clearly. I didn't cut any wood out of the plane. Instead, I cut a piece of basswood with the 45 degree angles that you see at the back of the cutout. I glued that in first, then the ply firewall, then the tri stock. The motor wound up being a little farther forward but no issues with balance. The installation was very strong and I felt it was better than the two screws on the front of the fuse. Good luck either way you go. You'll love that plane. I hope Cermark decides to bring it back.
Feb 08, 2007, 02:56 PM
You land foamies?!
Thread OP
Ok, so the set screw, am I gonna need a really tiny allen wrench for that?
Feb 08, 2007, 03:23 PM
Should have been an allen wrench in the box with the 450. Yup, it's kinda tiny.

JoeDirtRC's mounting method is without a doubt much stronger. The method I used was what was recommended by Cermark and lasted for all 114 flights before I totalled it. I did knock the motor loose a couple times and had to replace the small strips of wood the screws went into but no biggy. Probably served as the failure point and prevented more extensive damage. I also hope Cermark brings the Li'l Banchee back as I really enjoyed mine.

dawg
Feb 08, 2007, 06:12 PM
You land foamies?!
Thread OP
Joedirtrc, I don't know of this is too much to ask, but is there any chance you could get a picture of your mount?
Feb 09, 2007, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRoll-91
Ok, so the set screw, am I gonna need a really tiny allen wrench for that?
Yes, plus a really big rubber mallet.

Pushing the shaft through an eflight outrunner motor is something I never want to do again. I've done it on two motors, a park 400 and a 370. Both were a pain, and I wrecked the bearings in one of the motors doing it.

On some eflight motors apparently the shaft moves fairly easily, not on mine. Possibly the thread lock gets into the shaft, I'm not sure. Eflight should fix this problem.

Malcolm
Feb 09, 2007, 01:02 PM
Victory, sorry but that plane has been gone for awhile. It was an awesome flyer that met an untimely end against a light pole. With regard to the stock mount, I will say that I've never heard of anyone having a problem with doing it that way. Some guys have noted a strange vibration with the motor that may be due to the stock mount. My reasoning behind adding my own firewall was not only because of strength, but I wanted to avoid tearing my Park 400 down to change the shaft orientation.
Feb 09, 2007, 02:37 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Victory,

I think JoeDirt has a great idea and you should use it.

I have a lil Banshee and I mounted my Himax the "stock" way. I get that weird vibration/noise and I think I may build a mount like JoeDirt.

Here is a picture of the mount on the Airfoilz Yak (awesome plane) that should give you an idea of what you need to do.

FO4
Feb 09, 2007, 02:59 PM
You land foamies?!
Thread OP
Well, the Banchee just got here, I'll probably make a mount similar to the Airfoilz planes. Thanks for your help
Feb 09, 2007, 11:45 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Victory,

Have you read through the lil' Banshee thread here on RCG? I found it pretty helpful before I got my lil' It is little long, but there are a few gems in there.

I added the CF to my fuse, I dont know if it was nescessary. (I used small rectangular stock placed on the fuse with the covering pulled away and then jsut resealed the covering over the CF. You hardly notice it and it looks WAY better than the ones with round CF you see in the thread.

One thing that is not in the thread that I would strongly suggest is pulling up the covering around the small holes where the gear goes into the fuse and soak it with CA. Be careful because the hole is actually a small plastic tub in there. Pull it out and soak the area, put the tube back in and then fix the covering. Before I did this my gear tweaked the balsa around the holes when I had a few rought landings. Since I soaked the area with CA it has been bullet-proof.

Good Luck and Have Fun

FO4
Feb 10, 2007, 11:58 AM
Actually Fatherof4 is quite correct, what I did is very similar to what is on the Airfoilz Yak. I actually had an Airfoilz Yak too, but the similarity hadn't dawned on me. And his advice of going through the build thread for the LB is a very good idea. If I remember correctly, that's where I got the idea for the firewall. I think someone on the build thread had done it that way. Of couse as you can read from the above posts, remembering correctly is a challenge for me. Kind of scary to think it'll get worse as I age!
Feb 10, 2007, 12:28 PM
Hobby Lobby makes what they call a quick mount. Its a little red plastic mount that may suit your needs. Its made for 3 & 6 mm depron but you may be able to make it work. Just look half way down the page (link below). I am currently using them on my foamy (park 450) and they are fine...

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/motor-mount.htm
Feb 10, 2007, 12:55 PM
You land foamies?!
Thread OP
Well I bought a piece of ply from lhs, and cut out a mount. It seems like it will work good. I'll put little supports behind it and put some ca in there.

Does anyone have a link to the lil banchee build thread???

Quick Reply