Sep 27, 2002, 06:34 PM
Thread OP

One of those days ...

My Stubenfliege had picked up a small puncture in the Mylar wing covering. I cut a 1 cm square of crystal tape to patch it, held carefully with tweezers to avoid finger marks on the adhesive side ... and ... I dropped the tweezers, which went right through the wing leaving a jagged 3" tear

Oh well, guess I'll be less worried about mid-airs now!
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2002, 08:00 PM
Crashmaster Extraordinair
to repair a tear in reynolds wrap i suggest the following:

find some really "bad" clear tape, the cheap kind that doesnt stick worth a damn. attach small pieces to each side of the tear with exposed flaps folded up away from the wing. use these small flaps to pull the tear together and hold it (the flaps will stick to each other) while you apply a straight piece of crystal tape to the opposite side of the wing.

PS: you use cheap tape for the flaps so it comes off easily without stretching the wing
Sep 28, 2002, 08:40 AM

repairing mylar

Easy, almost weightless mylar repairs:

1) Spray some 3M Super 77 contact adhesive onto a piece of aluminum foil.

2) Dip a stickof balsa (softer is better) that has been sanded smooth at one end into the pool of 77. Do this quickly as the solvent evaporates rapidly.

3) Draw an outline around your mylar tear with the 77-dipped stick. Don't worry about getting as close as possible to the tear-- instead, choose a shape that will be easy to cut with scissors.

4) Apply the new mylar, paying attention to the correct face, and gently press around the adhesive perimeter.

5) Take some very small craft scissors (army knife scissors work well) and carefully snip the excess around the 77 perimeter.

6) Dip a Q-tip in model paint thinner (I use Testors Airbrush thinner) and wipe gently around the perimeter to dissolve any excess 77 sticking out beyond your patch.

7) Heat shrink the new area if desired.

This takes practice but works very well and is almost undetectable if done right.

-David
Sep 28, 2002, 05:37 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys, will try the Mylar patch next time
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review

Quick Reply