Feb 04, 2007, 09:10 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Discussion

Will your state comply with the requirments of the National ID?

The deadline for the Real ID is approaching. Several states oppose the measure on various grounds. I predict that my state will comply, and begin issueing and requiring compliant cards according to the implementing schedule. I also preddict that elements of my job will immmediately become easier to accomplish for a short while.
Feb 04, 2007, 10:08 AM
Many , many other peoples jobs will get much harder. prices will go up. More manufacturing will flee as getting people to fill jobs will be harder. A good deal all around. By the way, why will it make your job easier?
Feb 04, 2007, 10:46 AM
You win again, gravity!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2
Many , many other peoples jobs will get much harder. prices will go up. More manufacturing will flee as getting people to fill jobs will be harder. A good deal all around. By the way, why will it make your job easier?
How will this ID affect prices and jobs?

By the way, I looked up this Real ID thingy, and found an article stating:
Quote:
Why did these ID requirements get attached to an "emergency" military spending bill?
Because it's difficult for politicians to vote against money that will go to the troops in Iraq and tsunami relief. The funds cover ammunition, weapons, tracked combat vehicles, aircraft, troop housing, death benefits, and so on.
How sad is that? I wish politicians were required to vote on each issue separately instead of bundling them or trading one against another.
Feb 04, 2007, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxje
How will this ID affect prices and jobs?
I'll go out on a limb and guess Gman meant that it will be harder for illegals to get jobs from employers that hire illegals, since they won't be able to get one of these ID's, at least not legally. That in turn, will drive up the cost of fruit and produce at the local supermarket by a few percent, along with the price of a house.

Rick
Feb 04, 2007, 12:05 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxje
How sad is that? I wish politicians were required to vote on each issue separately instead of bundling them or trading one against another.
Agree 100%.
Feb 04, 2007, 06:24 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2
I don't understand how anyone else's job will get harder? Why will this measure make filling manufacturing jobs harder?

I work on a military installation, and I have an indirect responsibility for exactly who is able to get on the post. Currently, there are many valid forms of ID that are (apparantly) very easy to get fraudulantly. Our state drivers license is an example. NC has a significant population of illegals, and Ft Bragg has significant construction. Consequently, we catch a suprising number of illegal workers on post, with valid but fradulantly obtained NC drivers licenses. When it happens, I (my boss's signature, but I prepare the responses) answer to our suddenly interested elected representatives.

I see some merit to this program. I also recognize some of the pitfalls.
Feb 04, 2007, 06:48 PM
Go get them Meg!
We already have a de facto national ID called a SS card. How would placing a picture and address of residence on it make it more onerous?

And yes, such an ID will make getting some labor more difficult, for a time. Then those that want to do the labor will just follow the new set of rules rather than the sub rosa (Just act legal and you can get a job for six months) rules now being followed.

It's a win/win, except that the 9-11 billion dollars per year that the IRS now gets and does not return to illegal labor from illegal employment might be missed for a while.
Feb 04, 2007, 06:58 PM
God is good
I think Michigan will go with it. We have a few international crossings in our state.
Feb 04, 2007, 10:05 PM
Irsudog beat me to it:

You already have a national ID in the form of your Social Security card.
An employer is NOT suppossed to give you a job without a legitimate one, but the current card lost it's meaning over the years as the SS system was diluted.

And if you've got a PASSPORT (now legally required if you try to reenter the US from any other country..) it is also a valid legal picture ID with even more requirements.

Try getting a job in nearly any other country without an accepted passport or national ID card...

What is stupid is that we have all these different forms of ID. Passports, SScards, driver's license, etc all gotten from differnet agencys and departments that won't or can't talk to each other. This just INVITES fraud. You may as well consolidate 'em together and be done with it, saving us tons of money, too...
Feb 04, 2007, 10:44 PM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
I am sure our government (doesn't matter whether local, state, or federal) can mess up whatever is done.

Ever wonder how many laws we have now are a) not enforced b) not able to be enforced and or c) at odds with other laws? I do on a regular basis.

But then I am slow.

All in all it doesn't bother me. I could care less if the placed a chip in me, but then let whatever they do be the only one you will need. No passport, no endless question in the SS/Medicare line and no forty questions when you go to get another license of some kind. Or maybe it could be a national hunting, fishing, voting, travel, retirement and at worst guaranteed health insurance identification.

Will we have to pay an annual replacement fee to cover all lost funds from other agenceis? Wow that is another way to get a few from us.

Peace,
Lyle
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Feb 04, 2007, 10:49 PM
Go get them Meg!
No chip for me. I'll move first.

Unless it also helps my fishing skills.
Feb 04, 2007, 11:11 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Last edited by Gerald; Jun 13, 2008 at 05:50 PM.
Feb 04, 2007, 11:22 PM
Go get them Meg!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald
That bad huh?

I generally bat about .300 with fly fishing so far , but like to eat trout as if I bat .800.

'Course, if it was just about the fish, I'd get a net.
Feb 05, 2007, 07:05 PM
turn, turn, turn.
What's to prevent fraudulant chips from being implanted?
Feb 05, 2007, 09:25 PM
Go get them Meg!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkens4
What's to prevent fraudulant chips from being implanted?
I imagine that if I can suddenly golf better instead of fish better, I'd have to demand a refund.

Quick Reply