Apr 26, 2008, 05:24 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
785, that looks like a very sturdy setup. Is the wood oak? If so it's even more sturdy!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2008, 11:08 AM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Hi Graphixman.
Not only sturdy but easy to make too. The wood is what we call Tassie Oak. It's a type of Eucaltptus tree native to the state of Tasmania here in Aussie land. A beautiful wood to work with. Used a lot in furniture & cabinet making.
Best regards.
Paul.
Apr 27, 2008, 12:09 PM
Grumpa Tom
That is a wild looking outrigger!
Apr 27, 2008, 12:40 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
anyone got pics of that out rigger on the water?
Apr 27, 2008, 02:19 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Well. Since you asked...
Heres a video & some pics I posted in the fast electric forum. I've since run it on a 4s lipo & the wings literaly lift it off the water. Enjoy.
Paul.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789287
Nov 05, 2010, 09:03 PM
Where's Pamela?
I think I found the perfect padding for display stands.

Problem: Many/most foam rubbers will stick to painted surfaces, if left in contact and under pressure for any time. I've even had plasticizers in a harmless looking rubber strip transfer into a primed surface, ruined the finish coat when I applied that later.

I have used "pool noodle" foam for packing in crates... I think it's the same stuff used for pipe insulation... closed cell, paint safe, but never found in convenient sheets, just big noodley shapes.

But today I rediscovered mouse pads! The kind with foam backing, and knit polyester cloth vulcanized on. I know it's vulcanized, because I tried searching the web for this material... guessed at "mouse pad material", and yep, got lots of hits! One seller assures us that the cloth can't peel off, because the rubber is vulcanized in contact with the fabric.

I needed some NOW, so wandered into a Office Depot... and they had HUGE foot square black mouse pads, no printing... and not the typical 1/8" thick, but 1/4", yay!

I'll tack the stuff on to a cradle in strategic places. Good padding, and the cloth protects the paint while providing a nice surface for sliding contact.
Nov 05, 2010, 09:32 PM
Grumpa Tom
That's a great idea!
Nov 06, 2010, 12:02 AM
Just Limin'
Great idea with the mouse pads. I am going to look into that.

For my build with Brutus I did something new. Like with my Happy Hunter build, I used the building board for my stand. For the Happy Hunter stand, I stained and applied multiple coats of high gloss varnish too and then sanded with a very very fine grit to smooth out and get a high gloss.

For Brutus I decided to sheith the entire stand in mahogany laminate. I purchased about 9 peices of thin mahogany about 3" X 15" at the local hobby shop. The after carefully laying them out for a pattern, I lifted each one and applied CA to the back and set it in place, over lapping each edge of the build board. I then carefully sanded the top being careful not to go through the thin wood, which I did in a few small spots and sanded the ends flush with the build board. I then wrapped each side in the same manor. Finally I applied about 10 coats of satin varnish, again rubbing out the last 1 or 2 layers with a very fine sand paper to achieve a smooth satin finish. The end result is that I think the mahogany wood compliments the wood in the cabin nicely adding to the model appearance when she is not in the water.

After the boat was finished I added some weather stripping strips for cushion, but definately going to look into the mouse pad idea.

Attached is a pic with the stand finished minus the padding and the boat almost there with about another 2 months left before she was done.

Also, a shot of the Hunter on her stand out side on a Spring day.

Scott
Nov 06, 2010, 08:01 AM
I am working on a project , I got this orphan EC-12 hull from a club member
and want to work it up as a schooner-have hull and lead ballast,nothing else...
needed a stand to work on it and for pond side,came up with this.the lead is
16 pounds so you need to support the whole keel-I just hot-glue-gunned
a scrap of carpeting on edges.goofy thing weighs 9 lbs itself ! but sturdy !
Allan
Nov 07, 2010, 09:42 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Here is a stand we built for a friends simple balsa destroyer. The boat has a flat bottom so a simple board with timbers and dowels gets the job done. To dress it up we added model railroad ballast to the base and wrapped line around the dowels. The boat has no feature to keep it in place so four silicone 'dots' were added.

Pat, great find on the mouse pad material. I think I will make a trip Office Whatever and pick some up.

And Allan, did you start the build log yet?

Dave
Nov 07, 2010, 03:47 PM
Where's Pamela?
Here's my cradle for a 5 foot Foundation Franklin, using the aforementioned mouse pad foam.

Form follows function. Since the model has a long horizontal keel, the main support is a pair of padded 1x3's that straddle the keel line. Since all the weight is there, the side supports only have to reach in and prevent the model from tipping. The round bars only brace the supports, they are not lifting handles.

For lifting, one can scoop up the model under the keel, or catch the cradle to lift model and cradle. Not a trivial issue with such a large model!

The 1/4" thick mouse pad foam has its reinforcing fabric, so I just used carpet tacks to hold it in place.
Nov 07, 2010, 08:48 PM
Dave : personal email coming........

Allan
Jul 28, 2011, 07:34 AM
Where's Pamela?
One more for the archives: This Lifeguard boat spends a lot of time in the surf off LA beaches, so what could be more appropriate than having it surf on this "wave stand"?

Three transverse 1" dowels hold the two sides together while staying somewhat hidden, minimizing the "weight" of the stand. And having the model floating on top of the wave emphasizes its lightness.

Mouse pad strips (fabric covered foam rubber) pad the top of the stand.

Last edited by patmat2350; Dec 28, 2015 at 08:00 PM.
Jul 28, 2011, 08:33 AM
The Lifeguard stand has to be my all time favorite!
Aug 01, 2011, 03:08 PM

Cradle

Here is a cradle for a LNVT, about $5.00 in wood from the crafts store ...
All it needs is creosote smell ...

Quick Reply