Apr 21, 2007, 03:20 PM
Thread OP
The last thing to do before painting the hull was to glue in the deck combing. Once that was done, the hull and rudder were given a final sanding, primed, and then color coated.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2007, 03:25 PM
Thread OP

Moving Upwards

With the hull painted, it was time to get started on the upper cabin assemblies.

Beginning with the lower cabin, the balsa sub structure was built up from the laser cut parts. The assembly was then skinned with 1 mm plastic.
Apr 21, 2007, 03:30 PM
Thread OP

Finishing the Lower Cabin and Pilot House

The pilot house sub-structure is built just like the lower cabin. The outer skins were applied, followed by the roofs and fascia boards. The basic assemblies were rough sanded, then the gaps filled and sanded.
Apr 21, 2007, 03:33 PM
Thread OP

Building the Railings

The lower cabin and pilot house railings are made up from .032 brass wire and the kit supplied stanchions. Bending patterns are provided on the plans for all the rail components. Building up the railings can be a bit tedious and time consuming, but in the end will definitely be worth the effort!
Apr 21, 2007, 03:37 PM
Thread OP

Building the Ladder

The crew ladder was built on a jig as described in the building instructions. The vertical sections were tack glued to the jig with Cya, then the rungs taped in place and the assembly soldered together. The ladder was remoced from the jig, the rungs cut and filed and the ladder installed on the pilot house.
Apr 21, 2007, 03:43 PM
Thread OP

Adding the Details

The next step was to get the cabin and pilot house doors and landings framed up. A drilling jig was made to insure that all the door knobs came out uniformly located on the cabin doors.
Apr 21, 2007, 03:48 PM
Thread OP

Back to the Paint Shop

With all the details added, the cabin assemblies were primed and painted.
Apr 21, 2007, 03:53 PM
Thread OP

A Few Details

Once the paint had dried, the cabin windows were added. Since there is no interior detail supplied in the kit, vinyl peel and stick decals were used to represent the pilot house windows.

The lower cabin portholes are cast in white metal and glued into the predrilled holes in the walls. The instructions call for clear plastic windows to be glued into the cabin, but I didn't add them as the openings will be the only source of ventilation while the boat is underway.

Next step will be to work up the remaining deck and cabin details.

PAT
Apr 22, 2007, 12:39 AM
Grumpa Tom
Looks awesome Pat! You know you freak us out? Because you post all these details like you did it in one day! Lol!
Apr 22, 2007, 10:56 AM
Hee hee, no kidding Kmot!!! took me all day just to drill one hole and set a prop shaft in my current project!!!

Looking nice Pat!
Apr 22, 2007, 11:03 AM
Thread OP

Getting the Equipment Tray Mounted

The equipment tray is an assembly that will support and locate all of the running gear except for the battery, which will lay on the bottom forward of the tray. The assembly is built from PVC parts with bass stiffeners to keep it all nice and true.

After the tray assembly was completed it was glued in place in the hull. The rudder servo and ESC were secured after the glue had dried. The prop shaft assembly and rudder assembly was then installed and the rudder push rod shaped and set up.

PAT
Apr 22, 2007, 11:10 AM
Thread OP

The First Dry Run

K, Aero, Actually, the progress posted was made from monday through Thursday, and is probably 40 hours work. So far, I have about 55 hours in the project, and after reviewing the remaining assembly drawings and instructions, it looks like the fast part is done, and will take at least 50 hours more to complete. Ther kit is very well engineered, and goes together beautifully, but there's a TON of building to do.

Anyhow, from here it's on to the deck details, which I'll post as things progress.

PAT
Apr 22, 2007, 01:51 PM
Pat, Great to see you back. Could you let me know what type of paint and primer you are using. The boat looks great. Thanks.
Apr 22, 2007, 02:13 PM
Thread OP
J, From the bottom up, it starts with Dupli Color lacquer base sandable filler primer. The color coats are DuPont Nasan base coat, which dries to a satin sheen. The paint is the first stage of the 2 stage base / clear process, though no clear coat will be used since the paint won't be exposed to fuel or other things that would take it off.

The beauty of all this is that both the primer and the color coats are dry to the touch in 5 - 10 minutes, and can be masked within 30 minutes of application. I shot this one in direct sunlight at 65 degrees, and was able to mask in 20 minutes. BTW, the gun used to shoot the color is one of those top feed detail guns from Harbor Freight -- cost, $14.99!!!

PAT
Apr 22, 2007, 05:55 PM
Hi Pat

Very good work indeed. I have her on my work bench right now and I am starting to paint. Again super good work.

Thnaks very much

John
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey

Quick Reply