Feb 20, 2007, 02:24 PM
mostly gliders
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke

...Ville, I have a Cockpit too. But mine only has one timer (I think). Is yours a special version?

Ryan
Hello Ryan
I donīt think it is special version. I bought mine a year ago here in Sweden,
one of the first release. Johan and I bought the the Mpx at the same time.
Maby you have a us-version, I asume you live in USA?

/Ville
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2007, 02:59 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
I do live in the USA. My Cockpit I can either control the timer via the throttle stick or via the "spring switch". How do you control/program your second timer and how do you readi ts value?
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Feb 20, 2007, 03:55 PM
mostly gliders
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
I do live in the USA. My Cockpit I can either control the timer via the throttle stick or via the "spring switch". How do you control/program your second timer and how do you readi ts value?
Hello again Ryan
I send a picture, mayby it helps you.
You see the timer if you turn the 3D digiadjustor in the mainscreen, TIMER 2.

/Ville
Last edited by liukku; Feb 20, 2007 at 04:00 PM.
Feb 20, 2007, 04:07 PM
Ville,

Thanks, that does help a lot. But unfortunatly not for the reason I had hoped. I have a different radio than you do. My Cockpit looks different (this is obviously a major redesign/update). Here is me holding my Cockpit. Sorry, kind of hard to see, it is the only photo of my transmitter I could find.

Ryan
Feb 20, 2007, 04:16 PM
mostly gliders
Hello Ryan
I am sure you do well with your radio...but, the new Cockpit SX
is even better. Itīs so good that I rather use it instead of the
more sophisticated MPX 4000.

/Ville
Feb 20, 2007, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure that Cockpit SX is available here in the US (did some searches, originally I did not know they were different)....

Anyhow, it does look sweet. I bought my Cockpit as kind of a backup TX to my JR 783 (that I use to fly the Allegro) but have found that I sort of prefer it for my RES stuff.

Ryan
Feb 20, 2007, 08:11 PM

Learning the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by stflyer
...For timing the flight I use the built in timer in the tx. It is set to 10 minutes. I switch it on just before launching the plane
I an attempt to manage the four tasks (two stop whatches, the radio and the plane) I was starting one watch just before the motor run and as soon as I cut motor I started the second watch to time the flight. I just learned from the above that my flight times were understimated exactly by number of seconds the motor was run.

The Time Box is ingenious!

Luis [in Mexico]
Feb 20, 2007, 08:21 PM
AZ Outback
Thread OP
Hi Luis,

Quote:
1. At what point do you start counting the flights?. Suppose that during a warm up some one catches a strong termal, can the pilot chage that into a "contest flight". Conversely, someone thought he wanted to start the contest and he got a lousy run, can he change that into a warm up flight? These scenarios, can create a situation in which a flyer end up having not 3 but, say 5 flights, but only reporting the best three? Another example. Suposse I finish my flights and continue flying for fun, except that since my "fun" flights are better may I elect to count these in lieu of the "official" flights?

2. Yesterday I had one pretty decent flight with a 30 point landing. Unfortunately the airplane landed upside down. Would the 30 point count (in thermal duration it won't).

As others have already mention, you are your own keeper. Sometimes a hard pill to swallow.

I can tell you how Mikey and I handle our flights for all the competitions.

1. First we both fly a trim flight and warm up the batteries, if it is very cold, we may do several climbs. Shoot a few landings, with short motor runs, and put everything on charge.

2. Next, whoever is ready to go first, launches and the other times. From then on we just alternate flights until we both have three.

3. Landings, I do not have an upside down rule, I guess a don't understand how diving the plane from three up in the air so it sticks in the ground is better than landing upside down. (Yes I also fly sailplanes)

It usually takes from the time we arrive until the last flight about 3 hours. In the summer we may stay longer and fly a few more times but only for fun.

This competition is about challenging yourself to improve your flying, in the context of a competition. Your scores are just a way of judging your own level of improvement. Hope this has answered your questions.

The Best
Robert
Feb 20, 2007, 08:48 PM

Learning the ropes

Sharing your routine helped in clarifying what are the expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Burson
3. Landings, I do not have an upside down rule, I guess a don't understand how diving the plane from three up in the air so it sticks in the ground is better than landing upside down. (Yes I also fly sailplanes)
A simple gust of wind can turn your plane upside down on landing. Since there is no rule on that, I assume landing points count until further notice.

Thanks a lot.

Luis [in Mexico]
Mar 17, 2007, 12:56 AM
Did anybody fly last week, or only me and Mark Stockton?

Sy
Mar 30, 2007, 10:47 AM
I take it this F5J postal is dead?

Simon
Mar 30, 2007, 11:19 AM
Simon,

This thread is dedicated to the February 17/18 postal.

Here is the one dedicated to the March postal that occured 2 weeks ago:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650393

Robert will create another thread for the April one, a week or so before it.

He creates a new sticky thread for each postal.

X5J is far from dead. I know I'll fly it next month (and did last month, the month before, and the month before,and...).

Good luck with your efforts in the X5J postal.

Ryan

Quick Reply