Feb 01, 2007, 02:18 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

(Dare Hobbies) Stinson 108-3 Voyager, 60"

Well, I've had this (Dare Hobbies) Stinson 108-3 Voyager, 60" for sometime now. Finally figured out which plane I would build next. According to the box, the WS is 60", length 43", wing loading 7.2 oz/sq. ft. and weight 22-25 ozs. for a speed 400 w. a geared motor. The kit says laser cut parts, so that's good. Time to get cracking!!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2007, 02:30 PM
Thread OP
Well, I opened the box. Here's what I found out already. The left wing diagram is on a separate sheet than the right wing. The instructions for the build seem minimal, about 3 pages. This could be why I got it so cheap on ebay!! I mean, I might have gotten an incomplete kit, who knows? It's still going to be fun!
Feb 01, 2007, 02:57 PM
I think that is one of Pat Tritle's older designs. I made his Hobby Lobby Supercub. The instructions are about 3 pages giving the order in which you do things, and then some diagrams of the pieces so you can figure out what things are.

The good news is that he posts frequently, and is great about answering questions. I emailed him 2 or 3 times while building my plane, and he always got back to me pretty quickly.

Bill
Feb 01, 2007, 04:19 PM
Thread OP
Really! Very interesting. I have heard of him. I have the HL super cub by the way and I almost made that instead of the stinson first! What's his name online Bill do you know?

Henry
Feb 01, 2007, 04:48 PM
His name in these groups is P.Tritle. If you go to the electric planes area, and look in the scale forum, he posts there a lot. As a matter of fact, the first thread that shows is a sticky one that gives links to build threads he has done on his designs. There is an extensive one on the Cub, although it was built as a clipped wing supercub and the title of the thread is something like that.

Bill
Feb 01, 2007, 05:53 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Bill for the info. Ive got the right wing laid out, had to extend my cardboard board. Going to have at it now. Ciao.
Feb 01, 2007, 08:35 PM
You should have this build thread moved to the Scale Electric Planes forum. You would get a ton of help when you have questions and Pat would guide you through any difficult sections.

Alan
Feb 02, 2007, 06:35 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Alan. I thought the Builder's workshop was for building? Did I get it wrong?
Feb 02, 2007, 08:12 AM
You can post it where you want, but Alan is correct. You will probably find others in that group who have built or who are building that kit. Also, since its Pat's design, he is very good about answering questions right there.

Bill
Feb 02, 2007, 10:04 AM
Thread OP
It's already screwed up. I think I built the wing incorrectly.
Moderator: Can you please move this to the Scale Electric Planes forum? Thank you.
Feb 02, 2007, 10:05 AM
Thread OP
I requested the moderator move it to the Scale Electric Planes forum. Thanks.
Feb 02, 2007, 01:56 PM
Thread OP
However, it's still here so I am going to keep on until they move it. I started putting the ribs on, I obviously did it wrong, don't know what I was thinking. But if anything, it should come out stronger now.
Feb 02, 2007, 03:17 PM
What did you do wrong? Do you have pictures?
Feb 02, 2007, 03:39 PM
Thread OP
Yes, but I need to get them from my wife's camera.
Feb 02, 2007, 07:09 PM
Thread OP
got them. as you can see, I put stringers where the ribs should have been, rather than remove them, I simply added the ribs, figuring this would be a bit heavier, but also stronger. Not sure I used the right thickness either but figure that's ok, so long as the two wing halves match. Got to figure out the center section next, with the appropriate 1 1/8" dihedral.

Quick Reply