Jan 30, 2007, 11:02 PM
Thread OP
Question

Sources for design rules of thumb.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for sources of info on aircraft construction. I really would like to find a guide for designing wings. Something that explains how much reinforsement is needed, and where, depending on the application.

Thanks,

Dave
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2007, 12:04 AM
I post, thread dies!
This might be a good place to start.....

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/index.htm

Later!
Chuck...
Jan 31, 2007, 07:01 AM
Best thing is to copy something that works.

I've got several plans in PDF forms in the Vintage forum.

Vintage planes are about the easiest thing to cut your design teeth on.

Probably why I have made so many
Feb 02, 2007, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
Best thing is to copy something that works.
Vintage is spot on. I'll readily admit that all my wing structures are really copies and variations of a Great Planes design. The first electric plane I built was a Great Planes electric glider kit that was sold to me by not-too-knowledgeable people at my local hobby shop. The package they convinced me to buy was overweight and underpowered with a really big Ni-Cad pack, and had no real chance of flying at this altitude. But...after one crash, I tried to put the wing halves back together and realized they weren't aligned any more. The balsa/monokote structure of the wings was completely intact--it was the nearly half-inch thick aluminum and plywood wing brace that had bent. I thought, "What a disappointment of a plane, but wow, what a strong structure. I have to keep this one in mind," and happily, I have.
Feb 02, 2007, 03:53 AM
Dave,
"R/C Model Aircraft Design" by Andy Lennon.
http://www.amazon.com/Basics-Model-A.../dp/0911295402

Lon,
See:
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...rengthcalc.htm
The worse case lift force is depending either maximum G's or launching line breaking force or red line airspeed including maximum coefficient of lift. Your choise.

&

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...mproofwing.htm

My comments are about Great Planes design: Their design is low price (standard lumber not tapered) not about low weight for the strength. They don't design based an airfoil range from low Cl to high Cl. They assume only lift equal upside and inverted.
Last edited by Ollie; Feb 02, 2007 at 04:04 AM.
Feb 02, 2007, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_r2ese
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for sources of info on aircraft construction. I really would like to find a guide for designing wings. Something that explains how much reinforsement is needed, and where, depending on the application.

Thanks,

Dave
Nothing wrong with the advice you've been given, but I can sell you 2 books written by my late father. They are really handbooks, self published. The first book "Sailplane Designer's Handbook" provides a procedure for balancing all the shapes and layout. In the introduction he says, If you can fill out a tax form, you can follow the procedure. That was in 1973 and tax forms have changed, but the procedure he put together is straight forward in the sense that the aerodynamic formulas involved have been simplified yet are accurate. You can also bypass all that and use combinations listed in an included table.

The second handbook, "Drag Reduction and Structures" is a continuation of the first with additional work on design optimization and requested work on structures. He had readers all over the world who requested his second handbook. This was all pre-internet pre-RCgroups. Anyway, the structures part of the handbook is for determining what kind of spar you will need for the kind of flying you might do. It too is a step-by-step procedure. It is based on balsa and spruce construction and derived from test data and solid engineering.

What the two handbooks wont tell you directly is how to make a 200MPH composite DS'er, but they will give you a stable strong design. You will still need some idea of how to put a structure together.

If you or anyone would like to purchase copies, just send a PM. Doing so might save some time and aggravation.
Feb 02, 2007, 07:57 AM
ElectoStorch has good advise! Three or two decades ago I learned from "Sailplane Designer's Handbook" and "Drag Reduction and Structures". Get the two books from him.

There are big different sizes or aircraft types depending their purposes and design rules thumb. 3-D design rules of thumb are different than sailplane design rules of thumb. That's why vintage1 has good adivise too. Copy good designer's aircraft type for your designs.

If you want to go beyond rules of thumb, then study both structure engineering and aerodynamics engineering.
Last edited by Ollie; Feb 02, 2007 at 04:22 PM.
Feb 04, 2007, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie
My comments are about Great Planes design: Their design is low price (standard lumber not tapered) not about low weight for the strength. They don't design based an airfoil range from low Cl to high Cl. They assume only lift equal upside and inverted.
Oh, I never claimed to build efficient structures. But...I get it honestly. When I was growing up in St. Louis, MO, my dad was an engineer for McDonnell Aircraft when they were still building the F-4, living proof that with enough thrust a brick will fly. Honestly, one of the earliest memories I have from my childhood is driving down the road by the flight line and seeing the line of F-4 tail fins sticking up from their enclosures.

Quick Reply