Jan 29, 2007, 06:57 PM
Thread OP
Azeiku, Flat plate will work fine, with the step, but I was just saying if you sand something similar to a conventional airfoil you will see a little better performance in these glider versions.

If not, you will still be amazed, I just always want MORE performance with simplicity.

I do not counterbalance the launch peg, but you can, I also did not draw on ailerons, this way you have a choice, but I would put appx. 3" dihedral in the aileron version.

I will think of some first flight recommendations for DLG foamies. It should all be fun but I have learned some stuff with 500+ throws.
Doug

Does anybody think I should provide the Depron Dynamite Link here in foamies for build techniques? let me know, some do not want to go look for it.
D.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2007, 12:19 AM
Thread OP

Thanks For the tile job

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitic anomaly
Here you go Jelleb. It is scaled for 216mm x 279mm (8 1/2" x 11") sheet size.

Nice work Doug.
Thank you for the copmliment, I have not actually checked the drawings, If anybody decides to build this one please verify incidence of main wing to horizontal are zeroed out!

I will be doing a fully built up sanded depron version once I get it laser cut, I do not want to cut all those pieces by hand.

I will also be doing a depron airfoil for final testing.

More video with strengthened tail this weekend

Doug
Jan 30, 2007, 03:13 PM
Doug, Very interesting thread. Where do you get the CF and how do you adhere it to the Depron? I am also curious how much laser cutting costs?
Jan 30, 2007, 05:22 PM
Time for another motto!
Thanx G.A.
Is that sized for A4 or does it just look close? I'll try them out as soon as my back stops hurting...
Jan 30, 2007, 07:28 PM
Thread OP
stumble-I get the depron and and the Cf from depron usa, I also sell it-I just do not have paypal linked correctly yet through my website. I purchase large quantities.

I use 5 minute devcon epoxy for everything, if you are ne I would get the 2 ton which is a 20 minute. It is 1.99 from your local WM.

Laser cutting is appx. .80 cents a minute per file, there are some set up charges.

Rich from Laseredgecutters.com does all my work and he also does CAD drafting.

hope this helps-doug
Jan 30, 2007, 10:34 PM
Freezing my Lipo's off.
Doug, as I stare at this thing it seems like the Kf profile with the step on top (Kfsot?) would make it fairly easy to implement spoilerons on a foam wing.
Do you think this foil generates less adverse yaw than a conventional foil?

-GA
Jan 30, 2007, 10:54 PM
Thread OP
GA- What I thing of spoilerons are like something that comes out of the wing(spoilers)and creates drag to turn by killing lift or airspeed. DLG you do not want to interrupt the flow like that. You want do make small deflections that change the airfoil that creates the desired result with the least amount of loss.

I think it does create less adverse yaw because I believe in its thickness, it has less surface area creating drag.
some thing to think about. D.
Jan 31, 2007, 05:22 AM
gotta built this thanks doug for the excellent plan
Feb 01, 2007, 03:32 PM
Want to Fly, Have to Work
Doug,

I going to give this one a try.
Is there any reason why you went away from the pod an boom approach like you did on the Dynamite and went with a foam fuse?

Don't know much about this DLG stuff - yet!
I'm considering going with the step on top airfoil but the pod and boom fuse.

Thanks for any advice.

- Noel
Feb 01, 2007, 08:26 PM
Thread OP
noel, the second drawing in the pdf for this one is for the boom version, just wanted somthing a little different. The dynamite flys great, this one was for a look. I plan on making this one with 9 pieces for the nose, sanded down to an elliptical shape. That may be next. The dynamite by far is the one too build. just modify the step. Or not.

doug
Feb 02, 2007, 12:03 AM
Doug could you please add some construction notes. this is my first DLG and i have no clue where the parts all go together.

there are four peices in the main wing. so how are they assembled ?

thanks,

Sajeev
Feb 02, 2007, 02:21 AM
THANKS Doug! Ain't this more fun than a barrel full of monkeys? You know I like the looks of a full fuse better then the pod and boom, but every time I try to make a light weight full fuse it comes out to heavy. Looks like you have got a handle on the problem here. Super job!

Blue Skies Tim
Feb 02, 2007, 07:40 AM
Doug,

Great, thanks for the advice.
Keep up the great work with your experiments.

- Noel
Feb 02, 2007, 11:51 AM
Drunk Pilot
Doug,

Sorry to bombard you with more questions as I see you have plenty here already to answer. Mine is in regard to batteries. This could be answered by anyone that has built one of these. What are you using for a battery. It looks like a little 6V alkaline battery. How long does this battery last? Is it worth trying to find something rechargeable? Have you found anything rechargeable that is light enough but produces enough power to power the servos and such? I currently just have 3s LiPos that are 1350mAh and weight 107 grams each.

Thanks!
Azeiku
Feb 02, 2007, 12:34 PM
Oh, by the way Doug.
I live in Florida, but I was over at your neck of the woods all last week in Phoenix attending a conference for work.
Stayed at the Phoenix Inn in Biltmore at the corner of 24th street and Highland.
I think Glendale is just west of where I was.
Phoenix is a cool city.

- Noel

Quick Reply