Jan 27, 2007, 01:54 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Watt's Up VS AstroFlight Whatt Meter?

Looking to pick up a meter...

Anyone have a recommendation over the other?

It looks like Watt's Up has a "peak" reading setting where Astroflight may not?
However, Astroflight looks like has deans already attached.

What are you using?

Thanks.
Steve
(aka CrazyHerb)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2007, 02:03 PM
BEC
BEC
Another thread on this subject just a couple of days old: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632213 My comments are there.

Also look, especially if you want to use Deans Ultras, at whether the meter will read both ways (so you can look at charging as well as running a motor).

I use Powerpoles so have less of an issue with this.
Jan 27, 2007, 03:03 PM
Thread OP

Awesome!

BEC,
You are indispensible!
Now I remember I had seen this article last year....
Great read...well written!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311574

Looks like the Watt's Up is my choice for now (bang for the buck).
I like the peak memory function...and it's smaller size.
Looks like I could even attach to my Swift, go fly, then capture peak readings to make sure I'm not overloading things. Not that I even get close to pushing it (aerial photo heli spend most of my time just hovering).

I also like the uni-directional (source/load) configuration, easy to always get it right. Just think of the flow of them electrons!

Thanks again!!
Steve
Jan 27, 2007, 05:40 PM
BEC
BEC
You're welcome. Yes, you could put it aboard your heli and as long as you left it connected to power you would have peak readings available.

If you want a more detailed look at what's going on in flight then the data loggers - EagleTree MicroPower, BnB DPR, or the upcoming devices from Medusa (Oracle) or MileHighWings (eFlightWorks) - might be more to your needs. I have the MicroPower and with the optional PowerPanel display it also can be used as a standalone meter (no computer). I also have a beta of the eFlightWorks device but don't know enough about it yet to say much.
Jan 27, 2007, 06:14 PM
phillyphly
I'm aware of what is out there... what works for you and what's just unnecessary frills?

If anyone out there could design the ultimate tool, what would you include?
What kind of data do you want?
Downloadable data?
Size of the unit matter?
Display?
Whatever... you tell me!?!??
Jan 27, 2007, 06:16 PM
Thread OP
BEC,
Just noticed how close you are! I'm in Tacoma....
Neat to have someone "up the block"...so-to-speak.

Ya, I'm thinking I don't need datalogger, keeping it simple. Mostly bench-testing planes. The on-board heli configuration was just a thought....and a nice option to get "real world" stats during flight. Just the extremes...peaks..maybe averages....

E-guru,
A display large enough to see while hovering would be awesome. I'm sure the hard-core guys may want pc interface capability. I'm pretty simple. Probably not the best to ask about the super-high tech stuff. Just practical stuff, I guess. Oh ya...and affordable. I'm pretty "thrifty" with my hobby, always looking for the best "bang for the buck".

Steve
Last edited by CrazyHerb; Jan 27, 2007 at 06:37 PM.
Jan 27, 2007, 08:38 PM
My Astro is ten years old and today I hooked it up battery to LOAD and ESC to SOURCE. It ran the motor at full speed but did not indicate amps or watts. Turned it around and it works perfect. Had me sweating for a while. Charles
Jan 27, 2007, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I also have a beta of the eFlightWorks device but don't know enough about it yet to say much.
Aha! I just got one in the mail and was going to send it to you to use it for in-flight stuff, 'cos I'd probably crash it! I can see how it goes on the bench (if I can find any time), but maybe Boris will let me lend it to another good pilot out there who would like to do the flight analysis..

FYI: My Medusa Ultra and Pro both measure both ways.
Jan 27, 2007, 10:29 PM
BEC
BEC
Phil!

Yeah, the Medusas read both ways (I forget if it's full scale or limited in the "reverse" direction as with the Astro meters). Since I use Powerpoles on all this stuff I just turn the meter around when I want to test a charger instead of a motor. With the Deans Ultras that's not so straightforward.

e-guru - I have too many test devices now just as I have too many planes, too many chargers and too many motors (not that I'm complaining, mind you ). That said, like ESCs in particular, the test devices each have a different set of strengths and weaknesses and what is "best" for me may not be for you or anyone else. If you're seriously asking me to propose a set of requirements/specs for a test device to be developed by GP/Electrifly (noting what I see under your name) drop me a PM or an e-mail and we can talk.

A good place to start the thought process is to cross the Hyperion E-meter with one of the loggers and equip it with a USB interface and software for the computer (preferably NOT just for Windoze - and if for Windoze only not dependant on .NET or needing gobs of processor power or memory) that is at least as sophisticated as the beta version of Medusa's PowerProView.

I could go on at great length but this is probably not the place and I actually need to get back to work .

P.S. If you really ARE at GP, please work on 'em to put a more appropriate LVC value for lithiums in the Silver Series ESCs than they have now. In my opinion it's far too low for current batteries.
Last edited by BEC; Jan 27, 2007 at 10:36 PM.
Jan 27, 2007, 11:19 PM
With the Deans Ultras that's not so straightforward.

Though, with my reversible flow Medusas, I didn't actually have to - I just made up two jumper leads - one with a female Deans Ultra at each end, one with a male Deans Ultra at each end - QED!

NOW, by fitting the jumpers when I am charging, the "load" and "source" labels are still in the correct orientation.

Quick Reply