Facetmobile - A Lifting Body Full Scale - RC Groups
Jan 26, 2007, 10:32 PM
Texas Buzzard
Discussion

Facetmobile - A Lifting Body Full Scale

<http://members.aol.com/slicklynne/facet.htm> takes you to a marvelous site. Barnaby Wainfain tell us about the "Facetmobile.

He flew from So. California to Oshkosh Wis. to the EAA Convention and got First Place in his Class. I wish I knew how to print a LIVE address. Sorry , copy and paste.

I built a balsa and ply model of the Facetmobile 44 inches long and 21 inches wide.. It has two wheels and a tailwheel. It is remarkably light weight. It is nastily made of 3/16ths balsa square sticks. I used Rudder and elevator. With the dihedral I built in it is super stable.

I flew it with an 09 glow, I think with micro radio the Speed 400 or the \\\eskay 400 TX//// would be fine. It is a work in progress. Just had maybe 30 flights , with no mishaps. It like to fly slow....maybe 18 mph.
It will not stall from a normal level flight , pull that stick back and keep it back - the thing starts to sorta fall lif the falling leaf- searching for a comfortable attitude. In a 10 mph wind I can almost come straight down.

Lifting Bodies are PHUN ! Have any of you any interest in the Lifting Body? Show pics please. The shuttle is a lifting Body. A sky diver is a lifting body.

Some one draw up one for Speed 400 or small AXI.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2007, 11:15 PM
Texas Buzzard
From Barnaby Wainfains Web page.
Conclusions From The NASA PAV Study:

Flight tests of the FMX-4 have shown that a faceted low aspect ratio all-lifting airplane can have good flying qualities, compatible with a modest level of pilot skill and be highly departure resistant.

A faceted low aspect ratio all-lifting airplane can have performance comparable or superior to a conventional airplane having the same power carrying the same useful load.

Due to its intrinsic structural efficiency, a low aspect ratio all-lifting airplane will have an empty weight that is approximately 55% of that of a conventional airplane having the same useful load and cruise performance.

The low aspect ratio study airplane, with 80 horsepower has up-and-away performance comparable to the current-generation all-metal trainers powered by the 115 horsepower Lycoming O-235. It is significantly superior to the conventional all-metal airplanes in terms of takeoff distance and rate of climb.

The overall system-level transport efficiency of the low aspect ratio study airplane is significantly superior to the classical riveted all-metal airplanes, and comparable to a modern, molded all-composite machine.

The low aspect ratio all-lifting configuration composed of flat panels is well suited to automated manufacture of components, and will require many fewer hours to assemble than a conventional configuration.

The flat-panel construction of the study configuration allows it to take advantage of cost savings available from use of CNC high-speed machinery without the need for the airframe manufacturer to purchase or maintain expensive machinery or tooling. Large cost savings can be realized even at low production rates.

The non-recurring cost of tooling and specialized machinery required to fabricate the parts for a faceted low aspect ratio all-lifting airplane and assemble the airframe will be much lower than comparable costs for a conventional wing-body-tail configuration.

Due to its combination of light weight, compatibility with automated manufacture, and reduction in assembly labor hours, a low aspect ratio all-lifting sport/trainer airplane similar to the study configuration can cost up to 50% less than a conventional airplane designed for the same mission.

These characteristics are apitizing, and it is so stable... maybe a hover craft but not a 3-D all out. BUT IT IS A SCALE MODEL I have in mind; 44"long and 22" wide. Made of 3/16ths balsa. Weight est. at ~24 ounces. 600 square inch area!
Jan 27, 2007, 12:23 AM
Well "teacher" ,instead of telling someone to do something for you take a minute or two to do your own research.

A previous thread about the facetmobile.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ht=facetmobile

A card model plan that is easily resized to suit.

http://www.currell.net/models/facet.htm

And last but not least a full kit for $29.99

http://www.eam.net/EAMRC/skunkworks/...acetmobile.htm
Old Jan 27, 2007, 09:03 AM
Texas Buzzard
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: .
Jan 27, 2007, 04:36 PM
I have no dislike for teachers nor am I antisocial, I just don't like you. You have constantly demeaned, put down and made snide remarks to 90% of the people on this board that you have made contact with. I am not sure if people walk around kissing your feet(or other parts of your anatomy) in your normal life but here you have shown yourself to be a small minded bully. There are 12 y/o kids around here that have shown more manners and commons sense than you have in your short time here.

Either way you have been told this by more people than me so I am done.
Welcome to my ignore list.

BTW:"do you hate the teachers you had because you couldn't learn"
Shucks you caught me, I'm just a big dumb hillbilly. You got me there,what a zinger.
Jan 27, 2007, 05:36 PM
Texas Buzzard
Logical Psycho. It matter not wheather you LIKE me or not. I am not here to LIKE people. I am here to glean information and to enjoys different ways of explaing the same old thing that was explained 50 years ago. I just happen to LIKE airplanes.

L. Psyco, you accuse me of several rude actions and LOOK WHAT YOU JUST WROTE.

By Logical PSycho, "Well "teacher" ,instead of telling someone to do something for you take a minute or two to do your own research." I could say, You idiot where did I ask anyone to do research for me? Where? Show Me! But I will not resort to snode remarks such as your recent ones.

I am her for fun. You will not see another post directed at you.

Logical Psycho. Why don't you show us that you reallly do know some aerodynamics or even something about radio. Please contribute something we all could benefir from. Lastly, when someone accuses another of some thing they bettere be ready to show their evidence or just shut up.
Jan 27, 2007, 07:20 PM
You know having more than one account it not allowed right?
Either way I will answer you one last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Buzzard
I could say, You idiot where did I ask anyone to do research for me? Where? Show Me! But I will not resort to snode remarks such as your recent ones.
ummmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastonmc@sbcglo

"Some one draw up one for Speed 400 or small AXI."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Buzzard
I am her for fun. You will not see another post directed at you.

Logical Psycho. Why don't you show us that you reallly do know some aerodynamics or even something about radio. Please contribute something we all could benefir from. Lastly, when someone accuses another of some thing they bettere be ready to show their evidence or just shut up.
You are her who?

As for evidence of the things I said about you I present

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624295

and

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623601

As for my contributions I am here to learn, share and have fun with people that enjoy this hobby, not be berated by a sad old man that needs to constantly put people down as stupid or tell everyone how smart he thinks he is. Not to mention I answered your same attack in your last thread and you simply ignored it.

Lastly here are some quotes to fellow members from this "gentleman" for those who don't feel like reading through the threads linked above.

Quote:
"I expected all of you men who claim to be aircraft designers and pilots to jump on that with both feet. Guess basic H.S. Physics didn't interest many of you."

"
Quote:
"I misjudged. But I am glad I found out the mentality of the population of the site. Now I will not accept technical data so gullibally.
I am 76 years old, a BA in Physics and 28 years as Capt. for Contenental Airlines...."
My favorite considering he spells at a 5th grade level.
Quote:
"I get a kick from seeing so-called serious answers that can't spell correctly and truely offer a confused understanding of the simplest form of Relativity.
If you can't spell it then can I trust your logic?"

Quote:
"As for my "third grade writing skills - you will have to put up with them - I am not changing. "
Quote:
" Hey you catapiller boys, how many idiots does it take to say CAT TA PILLAR?"
Quote:
"
YOU ARE TRYING TO "SOUND" very INTELLEGENT and important. To the uninformed you reached your goal. TO ANYONE WHO HAS A SPEAKING AQUAINTANCE WITH ENGINEERING/PHYSICS PROBLEMS AS SEEN IN UNIVERSITIES, THIS POSTER'S ATTEMPT TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM IS SHOWN TO BE JUST WHAT IT IS - A BIG ZERO."
Jan 28, 2007, 03:01 AM
Balsa is my friend
Kinda looks like the plane Steve Austin crashed in the opening of "The six million dollar Man"
Jan 28, 2007, 11:11 AM
zzz
Last edited by Ballistic; Sep 25, 2010 at 06:22 PM.
Jan 28, 2007, 12:34 PM
logical physco, is that you holding the plane in that pic? just curious, but how well REALLY does that plane fly?
Jan 28, 2007, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420sailor
logical physco, is that you holding the plane in that pic? just curious, but how well REALLY does that plane fly?
No that is just a picture from their site...

http://www.eam.net/EAMRC/skunkworks...facetmobile.htm

No ideal how it flies but it looks like it should be a decent flier.

Boomerace built one.. here is the build thread.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425854

And here is video of its maiden.

http://www.boomerseflight.com/videos/
Jan 28, 2007, 01:26 PM
Electric Coolhunter
The EAM Facetmobile flies fine...was underpowered on the original IPS GWS powerplant. I upgraded mine to a Twin IPS A drive right after I got it and it flew well...works GREAT with small 3S outrunners of about 100 watts.

You kids play nice in here, now.
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Jan 29, 2007, 09:32 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastonmc@sbcglo

Lifting Bodies are PHUN ! Have any of you any interest in the Lifting Body? Show pics please. The shuttle is a lifting Body. A sky diver is a lifting body.
The Shuttle is not a lifting body; it uses a delta wing structure with a vertical tail.

A skydiver is not a lifting body, either; having been a skydiver, I can tell you from experience...I have never experienced lift while skydiving...just gravity!
Jan 30, 2007, 07:26 AM
Texas Buzzard
If I knew how to post photos on RC Groups I would show the "bones" of my FMX-4. Just tell me how to find the "help section" and I will thank you very much.
Jan 30, 2007, 11:02 AM
Just click on the "go advanced" tab.
Click manage attachments.
Click one of the browse buttons.
Find the picture you want on your hard drive.
Click upload.
Click close this window.
Done.