Jan 20, 2007, 07:54 PM
did it flied?
Cool

Picoo-z Micro Assault Chopper 2000

This is the improved version of the old Chopper Joe mod using PZ components; itís called the Micro Assault Chopper 2000, or MAC2 for short. The pilot is carved from pink extruded polystyrene and the body kit is made from normal expanded polystyrene. I used felt tip markers to paint the pilot and left the body unpainted to save weight.. The wheels are made from pizza plate foam and the struts are carbon fiber rod. The fins are made from foam plates. Since weight is key here, I tried best to build with various light materials to suit the choppers aesthetic appeal and structure. I used hot melt glue (in very light amounts!!!) to join everything. I don't have a scale so I don't know how much it weighs. It does fly though.

The flying characteristics are typical, without the pilot and machine guns the chopper flies like a real PZ; I think they are both the same weight. With the pilot added, the chopper is flyable but can have some very intense forward motion if left to its own device. The chopper will fly fine now for about 30 seconds but usually ends flying into the wall. The video is actually the first flight of the chopper, and I bought a new Silverlit PZ to do this bod mod. Unfortunately the 50 caliber machine guns are too heavy to fly with so are only good for the photo shot. It needs to be hand launched because the chopper usually falls over on take off. I can get a good few minutes of flight with the pilot before the excess weight makes it sink.

The video:
MAC2000 (1 min 21 sec)

Last edited by Electronick; Jan 21, 2007 at 04:35 PM. Reason: new video
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2007, 08:03 PM
did it flied?
Chopper Joe, MAC2's prototype, ended up in the recycling incinerator to be gutted and used for parts.
Jan 20, 2007, 09:23 PM
How much you want for one? $40?
Jan 20, 2007, 10:20 PM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
That is too funny. Great job. Your conversion has to be the best I've seen! Hands down.

KC
Jan 21, 2007, 04:57 PM
did it flied?
I found, by accident, that the rear horizontal stabilizer can be adjusted to help left/right trim. The rear stabilizer was initially added to help negate the extreme forward motion of the chopper, only about 1 square centimeter of main prop wash deflects off it, just enough to help control the forward motion. Since it is a flexible joint, adhered using sticky tape, I found by twisting the stabilizer causes the chopper to structurally trim itself. For example, the helicopter keeps making left turns so by bending the stabilizer clockwise (from the rear view) the main prop wash would now push the chopper's stabilizer to cause it to turn right. The MAC2000 can now be flown quite effectively so check out the new video.

Quick Reply