Jan 19, 2007, 09:03 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Full Fuse Edge

Here are some pics of a plane I just finished. Hope the weather cooperates soon so I can try it out. The WS is 35" and the AUW 15.25 oz with TP 3S 910 mAh LiPo. It has a BP12 motor (the low-kV version), two JR micorservos, and one GWS pico servo, a GWS 4-channel receiver, and a Phoenix-10 ESC.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2007, 09:06 PM
Keep it up, I'm reloading
NICE bird Bubba.
Let us know how it flies. Any plans???
Jan 19, 2007, 09:16 PM
Thread OP
I used the plans form here: http://www.aeroplaza.nl/.

I actually used the "Raven" plans rather than the "Extra" ones.

I made a couple of modifications. First, the front of the wing is "swept back" by 3/4" from the root to the tip. I didn't like the looks of the straight leading edge all the way across. Second, the spar in the wing is tapered (on the bottom only) so that there's a bit of dihedral to the bottom of the wing. Hope this will make it a bit more stable.

I used foam board from the local Hobby Lobby craft store. The paper peals off this stuff fairly easily and it leaves behind a nice plastic skin. Also, it is more flexible than the Elmers stuff from Staples or Walmart.

I used a hair dryer to help bend the fuse and wings without doing any scoring of the foam.

Here are two shots of the fuse after it was bent and glued.
Jan 19, 2007, 09:22 PM
Thread OP
Here is a shot of the wing and tail feathers after they were assembled. The wing was made of two pieces because I couldn't find foam board at HL that was large enough to do it in one piece. The second shot is looking down into the wing at the spar, which is made out of two pieces of foam with an internal carbon tube, and a leading edge of balsa.
Jan 19, 2007, 09:32 PM
Thread OP
Another modification to the plans I forgot to mention is that I made the front former out of foam instead of wood. This is because my motor is on a stick mount, so I didn't see any need for wood here.

Here's a pic of how I mounted the motor. I wanted to be able to remove it through this hole in the bottom of the fuse. The bolts are overkill, but they go with the smallest T-nuts I could find at the local hardware store. The LHS (Hobbytown USA, in Knoxville) seems to have disappeared

The mounting seemed a bit flimsy, so I added some extra braces as shown in the second photo. I also "glassed" this area a bit with epoxy and tape.
Jan 19, 2007, 09:37 PM
Thread OP
Here are some shots of the first trial fit of the various pieces. I was very happy with the plans. Things seemed to fall together very nicely.

I used a bit of spackling to fill the gaps where the top front of the fuse comes together.
Jan 19, 2007, 09:42 PM
Thread OP
Here it is after I cut a hatch for two of the servos. I've also added some bracing near where the landing gear will attach. There also some thin basswood bracing in the fuse sides below the wings. I often have less than perfect landings, so I hope this stuff will provide some shock protection.
Jan 19, 2007, 09:50 PM
Thread OP
I forgot to mention that the pink thing in the last picture is a mold for the canopy. I carved it out of pieces of foam and smoothed it with spacking. the next pics show the mold mounted on a pedestal and the plastic tacked to two paint stirring sticks ready for action. I heated the plastic over the kitchen burner, as I learned to do thanks to these forums, and stretched it over the mold. Only took 4 tries to get a good enough one. First 3 tries were not so good mainly because I failed to make the mold extend far enough and have smooth enough edges. The pictures show the mold before I added extra material to have more extended, smoother edges.

The other pics show a close up of the final canopy and how I used magnets (two left over from GB motor kits and two from a case that came with cheapo sunglasses from Walmart) to hold the canopy on.
Jan 19, 2007, 09:55 PM
Thread OP
Here's a shot of the aeleron and rudder servos in the bottom hatch. The elevator servo is on top, under the canopy.
Jan 19, 2007, 09:58 PM
Thread OP
I decided to try to use packing tape instead of paint for this one. It was a new technique for me. I think it worked out ok for the simple design I used and I hope it holds up under our humid Tennessee weather.

I wanted the bottom to be easily discernable from the top while in the air.
Jan 19, 2007, 10:04 PM
Thread OP
Here's how I'll hold the battery in place for the initial flight, with velcro. I may pretty this up a bit if it flies ok.

I splurged and bought landing gear from Hyperion. They look a bit clunky to me. I have some thinner aluminum sheet and may make a new set. I may also make some wheel pants.

The final pic shows the AUW with battery at about 15-1/4 oz on my high-tech scale. That's about 3/4 oz lighter than my GWS spit, which flies well with the other version of the BP12 motor.
Jan 19, 2007, 10:16 PM
HappySpringPerson
Outstanding job Bubba
Very clean looking

BTW that glue i see on the servos is that hot glue or epoxy cuz that would be a pain in the behind to remove epoxy

Tomm
Jan 19, 2007, 10:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
BTW that glue i see on the servos is that hot glue or epoxy cuz that would be a pain in the behind to remove epoxy
It's low-temp hot-melt glue. I kind of went overboard with it, but the gun got in the way of seeing what I was doing inside the fuse.
Jan 19, 2007, 11:15 PM
HappySpringPerson
i would like to know one more thing what is the flight time you get on that setup just curious
Jan 20, 2007, 05:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
i would like to know one more thing what is the flight time you get on that setup just curious
I haven't had a chance to fly it yet. I was hoping to today, but the wind was too strong all day.

I have the higher-kV version of the BP12 in my GWS spitfire, which weighs about 16 oz, and it flys great. I'd estimate about 10 mins. of all-out flying with this combo before I start to notice that it's slowing down a bit.

Quick Reply