This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 15, 2007, 01:25 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

JTAG terrorism

Things are stuck in the autopilot department. The next copter brain is the STR910F, a 32 bit 96Mhz ARM with 288k flash and 64k RAM. They now have one with 0.5MB of flash but we didn't spend the extra $3 for that one.

Unfortunately it requires JTAG to program it the first time and that is a brick wall. This chip uses an unusual JTAG arrangement where you have to provide BYPASS commands to get to the CPU. So far, PEEK and POKE commands haven't done anything and HALT and POLL commands give random results.

The documentation gives very brief notes on the programming but not enough to actually write your own programmer.

The only way seems to be their own free JTAG software and their own JTAG cable, which is not trivial to build. With that cable, the total cost of this board could surpass $100, making it more expensive than a 200Mhz Gumstix.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2007, 01:23 PM
Your attitude is your alt
Jack, I've been reading your blogs for the past several weeks, trying to figure out just what you are trying to do.
So far, I haven't completely decyphered your game plan but I'm getting there!
The Corona isn't the most stable or forgiving platform for making a UAV or RPV but who knows maybe you'll make it happen.
By the way, I get a kick out of your far-out humor as I'm sure others do as well, they are probably afraid to comment about it.

Keep the blogs up!

Gary
Jan 16, 2007, 12:32 PM
It's odd seeing JTAG mentioned on RCGroups - the collision between my Work and my hobbies is unexpected.

I'll sift through some of our recent projects and see if we've done anything with a STR910F or sister part. We're more likely interested in the Boundary Register, but there might be some other tricks we've picked up.

On an unrelated note - have you done anything with P&E Micro cyclone pods? We're trying to program flash via BDM on a MPC8xx and getting support out of these guys is difficult.

Quick Reply