Jan 14, 2007, 08:54 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

New Southerner 60

Ok, here it is in all its dreadful glory.

PDF of the 4 - yes 4!! plan sheets are attached. Blame it on all those little formers..and every rib different.

Charlie doesn't know what I am about to spring on him..but it will be VERY full kit wood wise.

Not much to buy at all. some 3/16" x 1/4" bass for a tailplane spar, some 1/8" stringers..lots of those, and some 3/8" x 1/8" longerons. Plus a bit of piano wire, and some 3/16" dowel and some 2.5mm dowel or CF rod. Apart from that the rest will be in the kit.

My guess.. and its ONLY A GUESS.. is around $70 for the cut parts.

If enough people are serious I'll organize it to be cut, build a proto, and you can buy 'em off Charlie direct at www.manzanolaser.com

It took a LONG time to do this. I hope the 4 days of hard work are appreciated.

Apart from a few dollars of wood, glue and so on you will need a drive train and avionics, some clear acetate. and a lot of covering material. Plus me wheels Oh and a spinner. Must have a neat spinner.

I think a good builder could do it in about 12-15 man hours. Its complex, but not hard..just a lot of bits in it.

All comments gratefully received..now is the time to fix any gotchas.

I noticed the PDF export has gone a bit haywire on the instructions. typical. Its also less pretty than the Corel Draw. The originals available on request, and I can supply plans at around 5 inc postage for UK residents
Last edited by vintage1; Jan 14, 2007 at 09:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2007, 10:34 PM
Gravity gets me down.
Did you still want details from original plans?

Thanks for posting this to the group- wow!
Jan 14, 2007, 11:18 PM
That's nice. Thanks.
Jan 14, 2007, 11:19 PM
Nice work, V1!! One question .. has the nose been shortened for the electrics? My half-century memory seems to recall a longer, sleeker nose profile... whatever, it still looks nice.
Jan 14, 2007, 11:27 PM
Nice job Vintage1
Just what I need something else to build!

Ian
Jan 15, 2007, 04:07 AM
fantastic work. Now that is a nice plan!!!!

I would really like to see that 150% bigger and with a big 60fs up front!!!
Jan 15, 2007, 04:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney
Nice work, V1!! One question .. has the nose been shortened for the electrics? My half-century memory seems to recall a longer, sleeker nose profile... whatever, it still looks nice.
The pictures I have show its shorter than the original large one, but not so short as the southerner mite..

If you have a more authentic shape, its the easiest bit to alter..its just 'stick on the front'
Jan 15, 2007, 04:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingbeat
Did you still want details from original plans?

Thanks for posting this to the group- wow!
Always useful..not sure the CG is right, although it feels it. So any info is really useful. Nothing is cast in stone either..Plan can be changed a little if necessary.
Jan 15, 2007, 04:17 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Easton
Nice job Vintage1
Just what I need something else to build!

Ian
I know, I swore I wouldn't build another vintage till the scale model project was done..

How's your Willis?
Jan 15, 2007, 09:54 AM
>shorter than the original large one, but not so short as the southerner mite..

Fair comment. The Mite had to be shorter due to the relatively heavier engine at that size; it's the 60" I had way back. Elfin 2.49.. flew nicely.
Jan 15, 2007, 12:27 PM
Thread OP
Thats nice to hear..so a slow prop on 150W will be enough..

If its terribly disliked the way it is I can change it.

Anyway, cut files are off to Charlie for a quote.
I bought the rest of the wood a spinner and a few odds and ends at the model store - rubber bands wheels and screws. Came to about $18.

Sadly they were out of wire, and I have all te snakes and linkages already, so I cant say what those would have cost. Maybe another $15.

They also had zero in the way of decent pleasant colours of covering.

May have to hit the other LHS as well..or mail order
Jan 15, 2007, 01:26 PM
Light and floaty does it
What that justifies is a nice silk and dope job. It will be virtually indestructible, look lovely and last forever.
Jan 15, 2007, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
How's your Willis?
I need to post some new photos onto the Willis thread. Only thing left to do to it is cover the port wing, then do all the doping. Fernando Ramos recommended 1.7oz Dacron to cover it with, attached with Fab-tek. I tried it and it came out beautiful - I'm really chuffed
I did a test run of my new OS61 that's installed on it - statred 2nd flick - what a sweet running engine (typical OS of course).
Jan 15, 2007, 02:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Work in Progress
What that justifies is a nice silk and dope job. It will be virtually indestructible, look lovely and last forever.

Well you do it, then

Not sure I have enough silk..
Jan 15, 2007, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Work in Progress
Buddy 8 hours drive north of here at Yeppoon has a 60in version with a Mills 2.4 in it, freeflight of course, and his is covered in red and blue Esaki silk.
It's a magnificent slow flyer and really looks the part.
He is not only a 'crazy' freeflighter either----fly's radio, C/L and even real ones---had a a couple of crop dusters.

Quick Reply