Jan 14, 2007, 06:13 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Will there be a Spektrum DX9?

I know it is only a few months since the DX7 has been released but i am wondering if there is any news on the horizon (no pun intended) of a 9303 (9x11 n my neck of the woods) version.

Technically i beleive it would now be a much smaller step unlike DX6 to DX7.

I am getting back into rc flight and am looking for a quality radio, highly specced and 2.4 ghz is a must.

So does anyone have the heads up?

Mike.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2007, 10:20 AM
Mike - Horizon does not comment publicly....

But they do put the hands of the TX's in their pilot test group. So watch reports at events this year and see if anyone sees a dx9 - I bet they will!

Unless I miss my guess - and it is a guess (I have no inside info) you will see something Oct/Nov this year....you guys will likely have it first - just like the dx7.

Mike
Jan 14, 2007, 11:59 AM
gwh
gwh
Go to https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/c...ericSearch.cfm

and search for FCC ID BRWDAMTX10

Take a look at the test setup pictures and page 9 of the test report. This is the same Tx module used in the DX7. Horizon has a modular certification for this module and will probably use it in other bodies like the 9303 used in the pictures during the certification testing that was performed in late 2005.

My guess would be that the engineering has been done for some time, release is a marketing decission.

I just hope that they finally allow flight timers to be activated by the throttle stick position.
Jan 14, 2007, 02:06 PM
I just hope they put it in a radio that is worth the investment. And they should stop packaging it with servos that most people don't want. Just let your customers buy the servos that they want, or make some choices available at least.

Rusty
Jan 14, 2007, 02:06 PM
pda4you

Couldn't agree more ------ probably at the same show!

Now, as long as we are making some "uneducated (uninformed really)" guesses try this:

Since the competition is now rebounding to the DX7 (sorry, simply of fact) then instead of announcing just the 9 announce the 9 plus the 10X (12X???) version.

If I were the competition I would shoot for at least a "match" position plus one.

Make sense???
So long as we're dreaming.
Jan 14, 2007, 06:56 PM
No question you want to sell your dx7's first - then release the dx9. You don't want to cut your own sales.

Guys are selling their 9c's and evo's and stuff to get the 7. When the 9 comes out you should be able to pick up some really nice 72mhz equipment for CHEAP....

Mike
Jan 14, 2007, 07:06 PM
I plan on keeping my DX7 ------ too inexpensive not to.

My six meter and 72MHz equipment is long gone $$$$$$'

I'm not even willing to THINK about going back ------ but, that is (as always) strictly a personal call.

Having flown the DX7 I think that at that price level Spektrum has an on-going winner. If I were making the call for them the only way the current DX7 would disappear would be DSM3 or greater.
Last edited by onewasp; Jan 14, 2007 at 07:12 PM.
Jan 14, 2007, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miksterr
I know it is only a few months since the DX7 has been released but i am wondering if there is any news on the horizon (no pun intended) of a 9303 (9x11 n my neck of the woods) version.

Technically i beleive it would now be a much smaller step unlike DX6 to DX7.

I am getting back into rc flight and am looking for a quality radio, highly specced and 2.4 ghz is a must.

So does anyone have the heads up?

Mike.
Who knows?
Your 2.4 gig 9303 (9x11) could be under the JR brand instead. Heres what Macgregor in the UK http://www.macgregor.co.uk/newsletters/jan07.pdf has on their web site.

"We understand that JR are intending to launch their own
2.4 GHz system this year. We are working with JR to ensure
that it fully complies with the latest UK regulations. These
are described in full in the UK Interface Requirement 2030
published by Ofcom. Table 3.5 refers.
A copy of the IR2030 can be downloaded at:
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/i..._req/uk2030.pd "
Jan 14, 2007, 10:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by defranci
Who knows?
Your 2.4 gig 9303 (9x11) could be under the JR brand instead. Heres what Macgregor in the UK http://www.macgregor.co.uk/newsletters/jan07.pdf has on their web site.

"We understand that JR are intending to launch their own
2.4 GHz system this year. We are working with JR to ensure
that it fully complies with the latest UK regulations. These
are described in full in the UK Interface Requirement 2030
published by Ofcom. Table 3.5 refers.
A copy of the IR2030 can be downloaded at:
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/i..._req/uk2030.pd "
-------------------------------------------------------------

I too had thought JR wouldn't allow Spektrum to use their 9 series tx.....The DX6 used a cheap, older JR radio, The DX7 was a little newer, however my thoughts are that JR would be mad to allow the 9303 chassis / software to be used by Spektrum as it would be all but over for JR in the mid to hi end radio game.
Jan 14, 2007, 10:27 PM
Well it is JR's box, and software - who knows maybe they make more by selling just that than a whole system?

They just might - but at any rate....I think the relationship between Horizon, JR and Spektrum is pretty tight.......

But you are right - that 9x box is far more advanced.

I wonder how many sales the DX6 and 7 have taken away from the "JR" line - and Futaba/Hitec/Airtronics for that matter.

To be honest I think everyone is shocked at the success of the Spektrum line....I know my LHS sells a lot of those boxes.....

Mike
Jan 14, 2007, 10:36 PM
User
Here's how I see it.

JR supplies 6 and 7 channel transmitters to Spektrum (for the DX6 and DX7) so that they can prove their technology and get to the market ahead of everyone else.

Now that the technology is proven and a customer base has been created, Spektrum licenses, co-operates (whatever you want to call it) with JR and provides the RF part of the upcoming 9303DX, 10DX, 12DX.....etc. This enables them (JR) also get to the market way ahead of the other major players.

Also, this will make JR's transmitters fully compatible with Spektrum's receivers and vice versa. When JR's systems become available, they (Spektrum and JR) will have the entire R/C spectrum - no pun intended - covered. Anyone and everyone who wants to jump on to the 2.4Ghz wagon will be able to do so.

Spektrum handles the lower end of the market (<$400) and JR takes care of the rest. Horizon (the owner of Spektrum) is JR's distributor for the largest market for R/C - the USA. A win-win situation for both parties.

I expect that you will see most of JR's offering pretty soon - probably before the year is out.

With their large user base they will have created a de-facto standard. The others are going to have a tough time playing catch-up. Most will not be wanting to give up their JR/Spektrums and have to get new receivers etc.
Last edited by rmteo; Jan 14, 2007 at 10:49 PM. Reason: - added more comments.
Jan 14, 2007, 10:46 PM
Interesting...

I suspect we will see the dx9 under the Spektrum name, but you may be right!

Mike
Jan 15, 2007, 11:21 PM
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
I agree with Mike - I expect a Spektrum DX9. I have *no* inside knowledge of this at all, just makes sense to me. The DX6 was a low-end entry into 2.4GHz, the DX7 was a 6102-like mid-range entry with an extra channel. The next obvious higher-end entry would be a DX9 which would be a Spektrumized 9303.

-Hilgert
Last edited by hilgert; Jan 15, 2007 at 11:32 PM.
Jan 16, 2007, 04:04 PM
I did well with my 6 channel Optic 6's for a long time. I never really saw the need for more channels. The DX7 will be all I will ever need! Period! It already has an extra channel!
Jan 16, 2007, 04:44 PM
So what will you do when you get a 4 servo wing and want crow for landing? On the throtle stick please! And what about snap flap and full span camber change?!

Bring on the DX9 i say!

Just my 2c

Quick Reply