Sep 20, 2002, 06:32 PM
Thread OP

getting a new radio... suggestions?

Im going to get a 4 or 5 channel radio, any suggestions on brands ?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2002, 07:38 PM
I'm very happy with my 'Hitec Flash 5', so much so, I bought another one.
Sep 20, 2002, 07:42 PM
Rehab is for quitters
I have a flash 5 and an eclipse w/spectra module. Spend the extra few bux and get the eclipse. Its all you'll ever need.

Dave...
Sep 20, 2002, 07:44 PM

TX

There are 2 very good lower priced radios, they are both HiTec.
Flash 5 This is a economy computer radio, with multiple plane memory. It's fairly easy to program. If your plans are to stay with park flyers, get a glider version, which comes with smaller servos.
It's a shame to have to buy the smaller servos and just set the full size servos aside in hope that you will need them "someday".
Lazer 4or6 A little less pricey, no computer, but does have mixer.
The 6 has dual rates, and a couple other features, plus a retract switch, and a proportional 6th channel knob.
Again, get the Glider version for smaller airborne components.

john
Sep 20, 2002, 10:35 PM
I'm a Hitec fan. I have three of their radios, about 12 of their receivers and 50 of their servos. Anytime I have ever had a problem of any kind they have
fixed it promptly and for free. I have 2 flash 5's which I highly recommend.
Sep 20, 2002, 10:59 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Quote:
Originally posted by Joel K. Scholz
I'm a Hitec fan. I have three of their radios, about 12 of their receivers and 50 of their servos. Anytime I have ever had a problem of any kind they have
fixed it promptly and for free. I have 2 flash 5's which I highly recommend.
I started in Februay and I've only have one radio and it is the Hitec Eclipse with Spectra module. I couldn't imagine not having a computer radio. I've used Hitec and FMA receivers with it. I've only used Hitec servos.

Kelvin
Sep 20, 2002, 11:06 PM
Purple power
Eclipse: best value for the buck.......
Sep 21, 2002, 07:25 AM
Motorless Wing Nut

Re: getting a new radio... suggestions?

Quote:
Originally posted by brimann77
Im going to get a 4 or 5 channel radio, any suggestions on brands ?
What is your budget and what are you intending to use this for... what would be the most complex usage you would have for it?

dd.
Sep 21, 2002, 08:17 AM
Multiplex all the way!

Get a Cockpit or if you got the money any TX from the Profi Line. I got a Profi MC 3010 myself and consider it to be the best thing Ive ever bought. Had a Flash 5 before this one.

/Erik
Sep 21, 2002, 08:39 AM
Thread OP

Re: Re: getting a new radio... suggestions?

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Data

What is your budget and what are you intending to use this for... what would be the most complex usage you would have for it?

dd.
good question - im looking to stay in the 100 - 150 range, and I intend on using them for parkflyers, but i never know if i may use a bigger model.
Sep 21, 2002, 10:00 AM

Price

The systens that I reccommended do fit into your pricing.
Most LHS don't cary the versions that are available with smaller servos, so I suggest you try online, and compare prices. I think that Hobbylobby is offering to match and thensome any other price. I've seen/used Balsa products and HobbyHorse, and they offer good price and service.

john
Sep 21, 2002, 12:27 PM
Motor Maniac
I would go with something like the Flash 5 for a first radio. I have the Eclipse with Spectra, which is a great radio, but can be a bit complex for a first radio. The other down-side of the Eclipse is it wants you to have your second aileron servo on channel 6 in ACRO mode (standard aircraft mode), so it is not conducive to 5 channel receivers with two-servo aileron setups. Maybe this is why Hitec has the new Electron 6 channel RX.

If you really get hooked on eflight (which I am) you may want to get another TX with more features. Having a back-up TX is a good idea, so the Flash 5 (or whichever mid/lower range TX) won't be a waste of money. I use my Focus III TX as a back-up for simple airplanes, but would rather have something with at least 4 channels so I could have a back-up for single-servo aileron planes.

See how simple the decision is!
Sep 22, 2002, 11:48 AM
Been using the Flash5 for over a year and no problems,great intro radio.I have also out grown it

Quick Reply