Sep 20, 2002, 11:33 AM
Thread OP

2 Planes down: 1 in the Sea, and 1 on the cliff

Today, we went to try a new place to me, on a high cliff, next to the sea, which is supposed to be much better for slope soaring than the one from last week.

Well, it was much higher, and I guess more windy but the results of the day were tough.

2 planes down: Oded's Optima and Avie's Gigolo.

I managed to save my Nebula (decided to not even try it...) and my zagi (tried it and stopped after 2 flights), and then focused on taking videos.

I think the crashes are recorded, among many other very nice stunts, done prior to them.

I'll try to publish them later tonight, as it was really a gorgious site to fly, despite these sad events.

It does not necessary feel good to take your friends crashes on video but it was nice to see Special thanks to Oded and Avie for offering me these nice shots

Patrick.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2002, 11:40 AM

hate taht

That's too bad. I crashed today too, but at least I found my most of my stuff (after 30 minutes looking through dense forest).

My sympathy to Oded and Avie.

At least the planes were "lost" doing what they do best.

Eric

www.e-zflight.com
Sep 20, 2002, 05:37 PM
Thread OP
Just posted the videos.

go to
http://plawner.net/

and follow the links.

Eric,

as a matter of fact, if you watch the "FULL VIDEO" version, you'll see that the planes are not lost.

Avie just needs to take the salty water out of his plane (and maybe some fishes...), and fix few things
Oded needs to attach back the nose, but seems ok too.

If you can, get the full version video to get all the graphics.

I can tell you that it was not a peace of cake for Oded to get back his plane, as he had to climb the cliff...

Tough day but at least, the zagi made it home safe
Sep 20, 2002, 06:02 PM
Thread OP
The course of event was like that:

Oded lost sight of his Optima, and when he saw it again, it was too late and the plane ended in the dunes, in the middle of the cliff, where Oded had first to go down to the beach to see the plane, then climb the cliff, then go down to the plane, then climb the cliff again with the plane... Good and healthy exercise

During the Crashing small amount of time, Avie wanted to see it, so he took his flying Gigolo, towards the beach. Then, being too low, and not being able to catch any lift, he ended up landing on the water.

I saw his landing and it was really nice. Just the waves ended up breaking his planes.
Sep 21, 2002, 01:34 PM
Hi,
yep, it's my plane you see floating around...

here are the two things I learned from this....
one when the wind shifts to north while flying from a western cliff, it's time to rush back for landing, cause there's no more lift
lesson two, never, at all costs, land in sea water. even at 5v, things get corroded real fast...

well, all I can say is s*** happens...
however, it will fly there again!

Avi

p.s. : slope soaring is great, and most of the pre-crash aerobatics are unfortunately not on the video...
Sep 21, 2002, 04:33 PM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
The wind was very unpredictable and gusty yesterday. We were flying abt 10 Km north of you. Luckily my son's Hobbico Superstar's engine needed some adjusting, so after take off he had to come in for landing. Made a beautiful approach, right on the threshold at abt 1.5 meters high, and then the wind just picked up the plane and threw it 5 meters up! The instructor took over (teacher-cable) and landed without a problem. Another pilot was not so lucky, and totalled his plane coming out of the bottom of a loop when the wind threw him down!

Quick Reply