Lou Andrews Aero master bipe ? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 11, 2007, 01:59 PM
crashinator
Discussion

Lou Andrews Aero master bipe ?

i just purchased this kit NIB from an old time builder who passed away, from what i understand this used to be quite a nice plane, does any one have input on this model? Of the three building options, i plan to build with both wings swept, what are your thoughts on this build, ive only seen one of these planes fly.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2007, 03:05 PM
Intermediate Multi
I never owned one but it's always been one of my favorites. I saw several of them fly back in the old days. It's built like a tank by today's standards. Isn't the landing gear held in place with rubber bands? A handy feature. It will save you repair work some day.

So you're opting for the Jungmeister wing configuration. I would make the upper wing swept and leave the bottom wing straight like an old time Pitts. Either way, you can't go wrong with an Aeromaster. I'd love to have your plans when you're done.

Tom
Jan 12, 2007, 08:06 AM
crashinator
yes the LG is held on by #64s as are the wings!! i will make a couple copys of the prints before hand (im a little rough on prints!)
Jan 12, 2007, 08:15 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
I had the last version from GP, they had changed the gear to soldered wire. The one piece aluminum that is in your kit works better.

I did the two short sweapt wings to but I modified the upper wings to have ailerons too.

Absoluly sweet flyer. Plan on a 90 FS or slightly bigger.
Jan 12, 2007, 12:07 PM
crashinator
i had actualy toyed with the idea of duel aileroonies, glad to see someone else did.
Jan 12, 2007, 12:54 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashinator
i had actualy toyed with the idea of duel aileroonies, glad to see someone else did.
Just duplicate the aileron structrues in the upper wing. I put a single servo in each lower wing which linked to that aileron then a link from the TE of the lower aileron to the upper to drive the upper. Worked great.

Nunther bene of the AM is it fits in most cars in one piece.
Jan 12, 2007, 02:24 PM
crashinator
sounds good, once i finish some other projects, i'll start it, this will be my first no colored, high-lighted, glossy photos with step by step instructions with foot notes and builders tips, build!!!!
Jan 12, 2007, 05:21 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Looking forward to watching the build
Jan 12, 2007, 07:32 PM
Intermediate Multi
I found a picture of numero uno. Looks like swept top wing, straight bottom wing. Can't tell if both wings have ailerons.

Tom
Last edited by Trisquire; Jan 12, 2007 at 08:23 PM.
Jan 13, 2007, 11:07 AM
crashinator
i believe the kit calls for up to a .61 2stroke, but if i can pull off this build i may try to wedge in a .91 4stroke, i hope the wing load can take it!!
Jan 13, 2007, 12:17 PM
Intermediate Multi
When 4-strokes first came on the scene, the rule-of-thumb was to double the displacement. .60 2-stroke => 1.20 4-stroke. I don't know if that's still the case. A .91 should be fine.

Tom
Jan 13, 2007, 12:38 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashinator
i believe the kit calls for up to a .61 2stroke, but if i can pull off this build i may try to wedge in a .91 4stroke, i hope the wing load can take it!!
Mine first flew with a very old enya FS90, followed by a YS 91. power is not a problem for this plane.
Jan 13, 2007, 01:03 PM
Intermediate Multi
I found another Ernie Huber shot:
Jan 13, 2007, 09:46 PM
Crashinator ,

The Aero master is a great sport plane , build it the way you like it , it will fly . I have flown several different Aero masters including my own ( short wings , sweep on top and straight bottom , ailerons on bottom only ) . Power was a good running .60 like ST. 60 or an O.S. . One thing I did notice on the Aero master was at at slow speeds , ( like high alpha drag it around on power nose high ) , the ailerons would fade away and rudder was needed to steer the plane . I still have a Andrews kit , it's one of my favorite planes and a honest flyer.

Mike 1484
Jan 15, 2007, 09:37 AM
crashinator
mike 1484, are you satisfied with the stock ailerons? i know its the original design but having flown it whats your opinion on duel ailers??