Sep 20, 2002, 12:23 AM
BEC
BEC
Thread OP

Small receivers - weight comparison

Having just gotten an M5 today and having a Berg I haven't yet installed in my Switchback, I thought I'd take a little group photo.

Here is a picture of six small receivers showing their relative sizes and weights ready to install (including crystal and the supplied antenna).

Across the top: GWS R4P, GWS R6N, FMA Direct M5.
Second row: Berg 5*dsp, FMA Direct Extreme 5
Bottom: Hitec 555

I was a bit disappointed that the M5 is twice the weight of the R4P, and a third again as heavy as they say on their web site (and only 0.05 ounce lighter than the much less expensive Extreme). But after I fly it that may not be as much of an issue.

These weights, by the way, are from a simple little postal scale (one that you hang things from, not an electronic one), and rounded to the nearest 0.05 ounce. I should also point out that they include the full antennas as supplied and that that particular GWS R4P is one with the short antenna.
Last edited by BEC; Sep 20, 2002 at 12:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2002, 12:50 AM
BEC-
That's an interesting group photo. For newbie like me who has never seen an RX besides a R4P and a Feather, it's quite useful.

I've found scales of all kinds to be notoriously inaccurate at the low end of their ranges. If you simply hung each RX on the scale by itself, the weights might not be too accurate.

A better technique is to weigh each receiver along with another object of known weight that brings the reading into the mid-range of the scale. Then you subtract the known weight from reading to determine the weight of the receiver.

This is necessary even with some digital scales, which may not register anything until you exceed a certain threshold.

Thanks for the photo.

- Jeff
Sep 20, 2002, 12:59 AM
I greatly appreciate someone giving out the actual weights of these Rx. The manufacturers sometimes do not count the Xtal or the antenna wire. This could become a very useful reference thread.

I think that the Berg should be weighed with the case off and the shrink wrap on. I am making another 11 oz acrobatic plane and I will be buying another Berg with in-line pins because my Tx is not program compatible with the FMA M5. On this next one, I will unsolder and remove the extra battery connector pins. I may even solder the 4 wires that go to the wing servo directly to the Rx and remove 2 of the channel connecting pin sets. The servo connector plug would then be at the other end of these wires and nearer the wing saddle. Also the Berg with the up rather than in-line pins weighs less. My current in-line Berg with all the connecting pins weighs 11 grams or a little less than .4 oz.

The advantage that the Berg has is that it is the lightest with a channel 6. The channel 6 is required to do 2 servo in wing acrobatic mode on an Hitec Eclipse 7. A careful user could rewire the Extreme 5 to have channel 6 instead of channel 5, but the FM 5 cannot be rewired.

I use a balance scale and assuming that my weights are correct, I can accurately weigh .01 grams, but I rarely concern myself with less that .2 grams.
Last edited by ifrichard; Sep 20, 2002 at 01:04 AM.
Sep 20, 2002, 01:15 AM
A balance scale might be the best low-cost method for weighing small items. Spring scales are poor at the low end.

In another thread, someone relates his discovery that his spring scale was off by about an ounce when weighing a 7 ounce airplane. All his planes weighed substantially more than he thought.

- Jeff
Sep 20, 2002, 01:29 AM
now i dont feel so bad that im using my stock full size JR 6 channel with the case removed which weighs .6 ounces with an azarr, although i use a counter balance scale which might not be too accurate, but the advertised weight for that reciever is an ounce, and the case and the guts both weigh about the same, so .6 SHOULD be close.
Should i really pay 50 or 60 bucks to save one or 2 tenths of an ounce? i have a GWS R4P for the small slow stuff, and i havent had one glitch with it since i started using the azarr ant. still dont trust it in balsa planes tho.....

maybe someday ill have a bigger R/C budget

Dylan
Sep 20, 2002, 01:34 AM
BEC
BEC
Thread OP
Not a spring scale - one of those little things that is a sort of balance. I've compared it against my Pelouze digital and found it to track pertty well, but the Pelouse only does 0.1 ounce increments.

I also checked a couple of those weights by adding an HS-81 (0.7 ounces by itself) into the weight and got the same answers, so I'm pretty confident in them.

I'll be putting up another picture in a moment adding one more I forgot I had - the Cirrus 4 channel that's a Hitec Feather clone.

I'll leave why I forgot I had it to the various Feather threads.

I may do the Berg without the case eventually, but it's going into my Switchback as you see it now for the moment. The M5 just got put in the Wing-E (from whence the R4P was removed before the picture). The R6N was in the SB.
Sep 20, 2002, 02:07 AM
BEC
BEC
Thread OP
Here's the second picture, adding the Cirrus Rx.
Sep 20, 2002, 03:54 AM
Leave me alone!
Nicely done, Bernard! I had no idea the 555 was so heavy! I wonder what my JR 610 weighs....

Martin
Sep 20, 2002, 04:23 AM
The Berg is the Caddilac I think I really like my new one. The case on both the Berg and the 555 are easily removed if a person needs the few grams. I agree - - - nicely done and useful
Sep 20, 2002, 06:46 AM
The M5 is my favorite. Dual conversion at that weight is awseome. The berg is great also.
Sep 20, 2002, 07:10 AM
just wanted to add my two bits:

A 5 Channel Single Conversion FM "Z" Receiver, part number 92515Z, weighs 0.7 oz with the Crystal and antenna.
Sep 20, 2002, 07:22 AM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
Just happen to have a Berg in the heat shrink, weighs in at 10.85g or .379oz on an Ohaus triple beam balance.

Has anyone actually seen the new HiTec Electron 6 channel yet, it's been in their ads for a while.

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Sep 20, 2002, 07:36 AM
I would like to add the 555 with case off (which is how most of mine are installed) and also the new Electron 6 (case off) - Hitec shows Weight w/ Case 0.6 ounce 17 grams, w/o Case 0.46 ounce 13 grams, but it's smaller and lighter than the 555 (I can tell, but don't have a scale accurate enough to weigh it myself)..
..a
Sep 20, 2002, 09:54 AM
BEC-

It's great to know the true weights of these guys. You've provided a real service here.

I wonder where the manufacturers come up with their published (and inaccurate) weights?

- Jeff
Sep 20, 2002, 10:19 AM
Great info. I have the 4 channel and 6 channel gws, the cirrus 4 channel and a 555. Of mine, the cirrus is the worst (glitches alot). My gws 4 channels glitch some too but not bad enough to be a real problem. One thing I thought I would mention is the 6 channel gws has very few glitches. I've used it on a field with 7 or 8 channels in the air with no problems whatsoever.

I'd still strongly recommend the 555 in a zagi but for planes that arent designed to be crashed alot, the 6 channel gws works fine.

Quick Reply