Sep 18, 2002, 08:15 PM
Thread OP

Work in Progress

The picture is a a gas powered trainer I designed to have glider like characteristics, but without all the launch and space requirements of a glider. Unfortunately, I could never get the motor running reliably enough to actually fly it. After getting hooked on electric with my Megatech Merlin sans landing gear, I decided to convert my trainer to electric - stubby grass field relatively near my house and who needs the extra weight anyway!

I'm going to build a new fuselage for the electric, so decided to do a little hand-launching to check areas and proportions before drawing up the new fuselage and tail feathers. A few steel washers in place of the engine weight and I was off.

Good things I learned: Wing works/good glide ratio; Monokote open structure stands up to the tough grass and stubble/

Things to improve: 3/32" wire LG too thin; tends to tip stall vs a benign mush; control surfaces relatively innefective. Next Post for Test Bird Corrections.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2002, 08:31 PM
Thread OP

Work In Progress 2

Solve tip stall: Warped in ~2 degrees washout in each wing.
More reponsive controls: Increased Rudder and elevator areas via foam egg cartons and painters tape.

Weather permitting I'll try the fixes this weekend and report the results.
Sep 21, 2002, 12:13 PM
Thread OP

Fixes Seem to Work

Hand launched today and all seems well. Very nice long glides with no bad habits. I would still like a little more responsive rudder. Next step - redisigned fuselage and tail. Wider fuselage to handle my 8 cell CP-1300SCR battery packs, high wing to improve rudder action and be more scale like, and rudder and elevator to the new enlarged areas and proportions.

Quick Reply