Jan 07, 2007, 08:54 AM
The Shadows are coming!
Thread OP
Discussion

Blade CX2 Tx's - Can they be adapted to fly indoor/park flyers

A question - down here in OZ the E-Flite Blade CX2's are finally coming next week after many delays, the last apparently according to the suppliers because of a "crook" (read defective) chip??

None of the other forums has indicated whether the 2.4Ghz radio gear can be used for ordinary models - indoor, parkies, etc - and whether there is an appropriate receiver that can be purchased to match up, plus the usual mini servo's and ESC's.

Would seem logical to be able to fly a CX2 and use the same Tx to fly other models at the same flyin, ie after the heli gets tired. Maybe the CX2 Tx is purely dedicated to a micro heli?

If it can be adapted then the savings from buying a DX6 or better, the DX7 are obvious.

Has anybody explored this option?

Sirion
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2007, 11:16 AM
The Shadows are coming!
Thread OP

Range CX2 radio

Now I've posted have found another thread which gives some answers:

Aircraft - Electric - Helis > Multi Rotor Helis - FAQ E-Flite Blade CX2 FAQ

Looks like parkies are out due to CX2 Tx short range - 300 ft. Probably OK for indoor models.

Other info is that the CX2 Rx won't bind with a DX6 Tx but will with a DX7.

The CX2 Rx is a LP5DSM & it has a 5th channel.

The question remains - has anybody been brave enough to use the CX2 radio gear in an indoor flyer with wings?

Edit: New info suggests CX2 radio range only 175 ft.

Sirion
Last edited by Sirion; Jan 07, 2007 at 11:44 AM. Reason: New Info
Jan 07, 2007, 11:45 AM
Crash tester
My first question would be the weight of that reciever? they make a 3 gram dx7 reciever now, a 6 channel unit. I think it's called the ar6100
Jan 07, 2007, 12:38 PM
The Shadows are coming!
Thread OP

Suitable Rx's

Yeah, that's the latest for the DX7 apparently, but if I have a CX2 Tx I'm not sure if it binds with anything other than the LP5DSM Rx. Might need to buy a second LP5 and play with the channels - another thread says they have different header connections to a "normal" Rx on Chs 3 & 4. Also depends on availability downunder.

Edit: More info, again - word is according to
Aircraft - Electric - Helis > Multi Rotor Helis - Article E-flite Blade CX2 All-in-One with Spektrum 2.4 GHz Radio System Review

that the CX2 Tx will bind with the new Rx 6100, so at 3 grams, couple of micro servos and mini ESC will be set up for indoor micro flying, but would need a DX7 to go outside because of the range prob. Good news all round.
Last edited by Sirion; Jan 07, 2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: More info
Jan 07, 2007, 01:15 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Supposedly, the Blade CX2 has the AR6100 RX installed and connected to the all in one board. If so, you should be able to easily disconect the RX and use it and the Blades's DSM2 TX in any small parkflyer or indoor flyer.
Latest blog entry: My 2022 event schedule.
Jan 07, 2007, 01:50 PM
The Shadows are coming!
Thread OP
Thanks Thomas B, that's the first time I've heard the AR6100 is in the CX2 - makes it all so easy now and lot's cheaper. Might be able to get a DX7 later on if need to fly outside. Great stuff.
Jan 07, 2007, 02:01 PM
Ascended Master
Keep it in -very- close with the LP5DSM transmitter.. you can get further away with the DX-7 transmitter when using the CX-2 receiver..
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=612445&page=2
Jan 07, 2007, 02:19 PM
The Shadows are coming!
Thread OP
Agreed Sparky, the trick seems to be to buy an extra AR6100 and use it with the CX2 Tx for indoor planes, but use a DX7 with the 6100 in parkies for outside work, or the regular AR7000 for bigger models. Good mix'n'match opportunities.
Jan 07, 2007, 06:58 PM
Me and a guy with a mustache
I'm not 100% sure of this, but the CX2 TX uses only 4 AA cells so this may be the reason for the short range. If one could power it with the 8 cells, it's range may increase to that of the DX6. That's assuming the basic electronics is the same as the DX6.
Jan 07, 2007, 07:05 PM
Ascended Master
Guess who's NOT going to double the voltage into his LP5DSM?
Apr 18, 2009, 12:11 PM
Hmm - interesting thread - I can see using the guts (reciever and servos) from the Cx2 in other things like planes. I don't know the sprectrum range (LP5DSM) but - 500ft would do for park flying I figure.

It mige fun to build a balsa airplane kit, toss in a electric brushless and the cx servos for the tail/elevator throws...hmmm
Apr 19, 2009, 07:52 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
The LP5DSM from the CX2 is a Low Power 5ch DSM tech transmitter and capable of binding with any of spektrum RX.

Low power meaning limited range, not because it uses only 4 AA battery, My DX6i is a full range radio and it only uses 4AA.

As for using this radio LP5DSM with or without the AR6100e thats found in the CX2 WILL work for indoor as well as for parkflying, BUT remember its limited range so one is best to RANGE CHECH before they head for the clouds.

You can see in my video, I am flying my PKZ Super Decathlon BL with LP5DSM & AR500.
DecathlonBL (3 min 48 sec)

Quick Reply