Permanently Banned
Thread OP
Rant

More cheep chinese rippoffs

I just saw this on another thread.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=63

and

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=4135

They are ripping off Mark Wood and the LipoSack.

I wish RCGroups and its members would stop supporting vendors who act like this.

Larry
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2007, 08:10 PM
Henry Ford got ripped off too!
Jan 05, 2007, 08:12 PM
characters welcome!

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

...is what I was always taught.

We always knew it would happen and there isn't much one can do about it. Sure, you can patent something but it would cost $$$$$ for some lawyer to go after them and that would only work in the US. Copycats don't have the great guarantee that we do, the proven testing, customer support or the connection that we do to the hobby besides just looking for a buck. What's fun to consider that no matter how many copies show up, just like lip balm is always called Chap Stick, a bag to charge a battery in will always be a LipoSack (that's trademarked, btw, which is more important than a patent and a helluva lot cheaper). I've accomplished a number of oddball things in my life (never one to follow a crowd) but inventor wasn't one that I had considered!

Those close to us (Becky and I) know that the early functional but(t) ugly prototypes originally came about over four years ago and only after we found some prettier material that worked even better last year (which was cool) did we get talked into this whole business schmear. I got a challenge from a close friend that I couldn't ignore, made a bunch of these silly bags, took them to Mid-Winter Electrics and darned if everyone didn't snap them all up and want more. Word spread worldwide (we don't advertise a lick) and we found ourselves butt deep in coated fiberglass bags. Go figure.

Hey, if we don't sell another one from this day on it was still a great ride and I wouldn't shed a tear but we're still getting lots of orders so we'll keep filling them. The RCG gang has been our greatest supporters and for that we're eternally grateful.

Fly safe, y'all!

mw

The Bagman of LipoSack.com
Last edited by Mark Wood; Jan 05, 2007 at 08:22 PM.
Jan 05, 2007, 08:25 PM
Very cool Mark!
Sometimes all you can do is hit the market first and grab what market share you can get until the competition kicks in. "First to Market", that can be fun too!
Jan 05, 2007, 08:28 PM
When it's a product like this that may keep your house from burning down, I know I would stick with a reputable product proven to work by Mark Wood rather than a cheap copy from China.

I'll buy cheap motors and ESC's from China all day, but not a LipoSack copy.

Toby
Jan 06, 2007, 12:14 AM
Permanently Banned
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1knob
When it's a product like this that may keep your house from burning down, I know I would stick with a reputable product proven to work by Mark Wood rather than a cheap copy from China.

I'll buy cheap motors and ESC's from China all day, but not a LipoSack copy. Toby
As long as we continue to reward these guys with our money they will continue to do this type of thing and they will prosper while US entreprenures suffer.

Larry
Jan 06, 2007, 12:19 AM
Retired CAD guy
Um guys ...

I saw a TV add the other day for something called an Oveglove.
It's an Oven mit kinda thang.

Guess what its made out of ???
Kevlar and Nomex ! ! ! surprise ! ! !

And they are available at the local Drugstore et al.

How long do your think one can charge $30 for a bag in on a competitive planet ?
And do you/we KNOW it was USA made ? hmmmmm ?

It was bound to happen !
Jan 06, 2007, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry3215
while US entreprenures suffer.
Not just US, but ANY entrepreneur. That's why if it is worth protecting, protect it. Otherwise get it to market fast and first and grab what you can.
Jan 06, 2007, 01:19 AM
MW,
No doubt you are the father of LipoSack, No one will take that away from you! History book (at least RC) will forever have you imprint!

That's the American Entrepreneur spirit!

Dave
Jan 06, 2007, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Um guys ...

How long do your think one can charge $30 for a bag in on a competitive planet ?
And do you/we KNOW it was USA made ? hmmmmm ?

It was bound to happen !
Yup, remember that when your boss replaces you with someone making 1/2 your salary, gets 1/2 your vacation, works more hours doesn't complain about it.
Jan 06, 2007, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probedude
Not just US, but ANY entrepreneur. That's why if it is worth protecting, protect it. Otherwise get it to market fast and first and grab what you can.
Yes, and if he had to spend the legal fees to obtain a patent and hire some international lawyers to protect his patent when things like this happen these things would be $199 rather than the current price.
Jan 06, 2007, 10:30 AM
UN Earth peoples true enemy

You probably cant patenty a Lipo sac anyway...

It cost Gazillions to get a world wide patent for something and you can only get a patent if it is UNIQUE and so some mega investor with the money can do it and you can get 1% or probably ripped off by them
of course only if it is UNIQE

AS IN NEVER EXISTED BEFORE

So a bag existed before
covering combustables with fire proof materials existed before

A fire proof bag to carry flamible things existed before

No hope

And as to buying quality bag from USA give me a break

Niomex and kevlar is nomex and kevalar so most will look the price and buy from China Tiawan whatever as 99.999% will never get to test out how good or bad that bag realy is

but the idea that quality electric motors and batteries come from China ????

Most All my motor ESC gear is Euroland Eastern Europe or Germany and Lipos are South Korea which is more and more probably built under licence in China who then take all this so called patented stuff copy it usualy with cheaper softer metal or less heat resitant magnets whatever and stiff a lot of bottom feeders .....

But for the guy who wants to use his gear at the lowwer power levels like 1/4 throttle he can probably get away with that stuff but at the ragged edge that stuff grills and I live and hang out on the ragged edge no name made in China ripped of cheapo copy stuff isnt on my gear best I can tell

So the problem isnt the made in china stuff it is the made in china through reputable manufactuers who can verify the quality that works but no name china stuff your on your own until some manufacterrs there get the message that some people actualy use this stuff for real

Anyway thats how the world works and then you marry one

Ralf
Jan 06, 2007, 10:53 AM
All you guys that shop at E-bay support China very well.
Jan 06, 2007, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjslhill
All you guys that shop at E-bay support China very well.
Or Wal-Mart for that matter.
Jan 06, 2007, 10:57 AM

Well....

Wal-Mart maybe, E-Bay is the source for stolen, copied porducts and E-Bay could care less about anything, they just want the money. E-Bay owns Pay-Pal as well so they double dip on stolen ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB
Or Wal-Mart for that matter.

Quick Reply