Build off- LTR-14 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 04, 2007, 11:11 AM
Designer/Builder
Contest

Build off- LTR-14

It's not that I don't have enough already on my plate, but I'd thought I jump in on the fun and join this contest.

I'll be designing and building a 1/6 scale Laird Turner LTR-14 Golden Age Racer. Specs:

Wing Span: 51.5"
Length: 43.3"
Wing Area: 382 in^2
Weight: < 66 oz.
Power: Geared AF05 12x10 prop
Battery: 3S to 4S LiPo

Design Basics: Foam or built up two piece, plug-in wing, Built up fuselage and cowl, balsa wheel pants. Control will be full house with the option for flaps.

I'm planning a plug-in wing, and would be interested in suggestions on a wing joiner rod. I've found several 1/2" carbon tubes that might work well, but its hard to tell how stiff they are from the photos online. The other option would be to design a wood structure that plugs into the fuselage, which is a definite possibility with laser cutting.

Other than that, the fuselage will be traditional construction on a crutch. I haven't desided if the crutch will be permanent or removable. I do plan to use laser cutting to the fullest to make it lock together for an easy build.

The plans are very preliminary, so don't expect too much progress for a while.

-Jim
Last edited by Jim Young; Jan 16, 2007 at 05:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2007, 02:38 PM
Flying electric since 1986
If you kit this, you can put my name at the top of the "waiting to order" list! I've got Roscoe's Gilmore Lion underway now, this would be the perfect companion for it.
Jan 04, 2007, 02:45 PM
Need 4 Speed!
One of my all time favorites. Let me know if you need any 3-views or photographs.
Jan 04, 2007, 02:59 PM
Designer/Builder
Hi All,

I'm working with the Paul Matt and Ken Wilson drawings. There are a few discrepencies between the two, but I hope I'm able to capture the character of the plane. The one thing that is bothering me is the top of the fuselage and turtle deck. Wilson shows everything straight, from the cowl to the the canopy and the turtle deck parallel to it. Matt shows a slight taper from the cowl to the canopy, and the turtle deck at another angle. I'm fudging the Matt drawings a bit since they don't quite match the photos I've got so far. The cowl will have a slight taper front to back from the side, and will be straight when viewed from the top.

I've scoured the web for photos, but anything you have to offer is greatly appreciated. I've got a good photo of the Champion logo on the replica. This I can turn into a water slide decal. I still need a good photo of the Ethyl and Double Row WASP logos. All the other markings are block letters which are pretty easy to duplicate.

I hope to get another T&J Models kit out of this effort, so I've got you down for one.

Jim
T&J Models
Jan 04, 2007, 03:07 PM
These aren't as good as a close up photo, but I'd think any decent graphics shop should be able make do with them.
Jan 04, 2007, 05:52 PM
Man and machine.
Jan 04, 2007, 07:34 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Jim

Neat subject. I think the original is at the Udvar Hazy Center of the NASM over at Dulles Aiport near me. Will have to check next time I am over there. It is relatively accessible for photos if I recall.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Last edited by Brian Allen; Jan 05, 2007 at 08:12 AM.
Jan 05, 2007, 06:17 AM
Designer/Builder
Hi All,

Thanks for the photos and encouragement. I've got some new 3-view information that I hope to look at this weekend. The photo of the original, does show some flaws in the docs I have.

Brian, if you can get any more photos of the original, I would be in your debt!

-Jim

I came, I saw, I designed, I built, and then I flew!
Jan 05, 2007, 08:12 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Jim

Let me know what you need and I will try to see what I can get.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Jan 05, 2007, 12:00 PM
Designer/Builder

Photos wanted

Hi Brian,

Cool! I would like some good side and front views, square shots of all of the decals/markings, and then any details (oil coolers, cockpit, landing gear, etc...). Also the way the fin/rudder blend into the fuselage is a bit of a mystery from the docs I have.

I've got some documentation that says the race numbers were outlined in red (the photos above confirm that), but I'm not sure about the wing and tail call numbers.

Thanks,

-Jim
Last edited by Jim Young; Jan 05, 2007 at 12:05 PM.
Jan 05, 2007, 02:50 PM
Still AWD, Subaru
Jim, I've got a book at home all about air racing in America, "Wet Wings and Drop Tanks", Im sure this aircraft is in it, pm me your e-mail address and I'll get you what I have.

Oh and to stiffen the 1/2" carbon tube, fill it up with the liquid expanding foam. I filled the rocker panels, body voids/of my rally car with it and it helps with ridgidity.

Shawn
Jan 05, 2007, 09:11 PM

Ltr-14

Jim

I just sent you a PM. I have some info that I think will useful. Below is an example.
Jan 05, 2007, 09:38 PM
Designer/Builder
Hi John,

Got your message and replied. I'm am very impressed with the help available here on the E-zone. I hope I don't dissappoint you guys.

Thanks everyone!

-Jim
Jan 05, 2007, 11:01 PM
Need 4 Speed!
Jim,
I think all of us Thompson trophy fanatics are flooding you with documentation so our eventual T&J kit will be accurate .
Last edited by pdawg; Jan 05, 2007 at 11:07 PM.

Quick Reply