LiPo - FireSafe Box question ?? - RC Groups
Jan 03, 2007, 02:46 PM
Inventor
Question

LiPo - FireSafe Box question ??

Hi.

After seein a couple of lipo fires I got really scared thou I live in an apartment with other neighbours over an under me. I dont have a parkingspace, neither garden to safe-charge my lipo-RTF soo I got me some metal-box at work today, got to put some metal-plate over side-holes, that ar NOT air-tight..

The question goes, if I make it air-tight, can a single cell lipo, say 130mAh explode or get out of this metal-case ? ->>
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2007, 02:55 PM
Flying motor mount master
130mah will not make that much fireworks but it will cause the spark which can bring down the place. I think you are fine with what you have.

If you step up above 1000mah then I would re-evaluate and get a lipo sack.

ymmv
Jan 03, 2007, 03:38 PM
In general, you don't really want to make it air tight. That just makes it kersplode.
Jan 03, 2007, 05:55 PM
Inventor
fly_boy99-

okay, you just get scared up with those nifty youtube.com vids about fires of lipo! thanks for input!

Unterhausen-

I looked over the box once again, n I got some idea about takin thos side-plates n make some minor holes.. for smoke/pressure to get out, but no flames. thanks for input!

/Daniel
Jan 03, 2007, 05:58 PM
Inventor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unterhausen
In general, you don't really want to make it air tight. That just makes it kersplode.

just curious.. if you buy a air-tight, fire-protected safe.. n kept a lipo that went a'wall n got lit up inside.. would the 'fire' flame up when I first opened later ? (this is spooky how fire works with oxygen..) ?

cheers.
Jan 03, 2007, 06:07 PM
first:
maybe you can place such a thing into your box:
http://www.cfs.nl/firepro/

at 150C (so if there is a fire in your box) the patron starts and kills the fire

if - some problem ? - the mechanical 150C-mechanism should not work it will start at 300C anyway...

this patron in a fire-proof box should be great for a further risk-minimation...

and here:
a good link of somebody who has already build some Lipo-Fire-boxes and also tested them with different lipos...
also a lot of pics:
http://www.rc-heli.de/board/index.php?topic=38426.0

before:

after:

there are also other solutions in that thread with pictures

here for example a not so good version:

here, were the cables come out of the box there can in case of fire the flames can come out !!
and they can be - because of the pressure inside - be 2meters long !!!!
so you have to solve this problem (look at the first pictures)

as said: follow the link, and look at the pictures to get some feel of how it can and should be made...

and i think if you consider building one: i would contact KLAUS KOLB in that thread...
he has build some boxes, tested a lot and has so a some experiences
Jan 03, 2007, 06:41 PM
video of the box test above:
http://www.klaus-kolb.homepage.t-onl...ipobrand-3.wmv

eek