Jan 02, 2007, 09:31 PM
Renewed interest
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Thunder Tiger Mini-Titan 325

It has started to hit the market
Long rumoured, longer anticipated by TT pilots is finally available to us regular customers form our favourite dealers.

I ordered the Kit version of the mini-titan as i enjoy the build and decided to go my own way with servos, esc and motor although TT do have these available and in combos.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2007, 09:36 PM
Renewed interest
Thread OP
The instructions are very impressive for a mini heli, muxh better than any other helis in this class that i have seen. The heli construction is also very different. It is made like a little tank, the main frame assembly is a heavy duty item that so far looks lik eit will be very robust. There is no fancy aluminium or carbon fiber here. Its all molded plastic (very Raptor in concept)
Jan 02, 2007, 09:42 PM
Renewed interest
Thread OP
There are few parts compared to many and assembly goes very quick.
Ultimatley the plastic doenst feel as nice as the Dragonus stuff, more on a par with align , i just hope this is higher quality. The frame is a solid little lump and should provide a very strong platform for learning and punishing. Many of these size range use multi layers of aluminium or CF sheet to build up the frames, as this is pretty much 2 pieces it feels strong. The head is nothing special, much like any other mini heli, apart from the lower bearing in the frame to hold it all rigid. Thrust bearings are included and high headspeeds shouldnt be an issue.
Jan 03, 2007, 05:14 AM
Fonny
G'Day Oz Ace.
Just out of interest where did you get your mini Titan?
I was going to buy a T-Rex 450SE today, and told get the 450S, as it is as strong as the SE, a bit less bling, but alot cheaper, and nearly as strong. BUT! I saw the article of the mini in 'Airbourne' magazine, number 211, pg64. Spoke to the guys at Ace Hobbies Distributors and they said it will come in in a week or two. Kit price $299-00au or ARF combo with 35A speedy and motor for $399-00au.
I presume that you have at least one T-rex 450.
Have you flown the Mini-Titan yet? How does it compare to the T-Rex?
Should I wait for the Mini, or get the T-Rex?
I'm so confused!!!!
I was going to be so happy with the T-Rex, and now a spanner in the works.
Any other opinions on the Titan Mini?
OzAce, send me a PM if you want about how to get one. I'm in the Northern suburbs.
Rob
Diamond Creek
Melbourne.
Jan 03, 2007, 05:27 AM
Renewed interest
Thread OP
I am in the build now, so no flight reports yet. i got mine from TT4U , not a pleasant shopping experience so dont go there. Readyheli is showing them in stock now and thats one of my prefered dealers.

I personally am over the trex thing, i do still have a few but there are better helis around now. The dragonus intruder (hoverhobby or flyinghobby) is the best value heli on the market and a great flyer. The Gazaur are pieces of flying art (at a high price) and the mini-t seems more robust than any of them.

I am not good at definitive answers (thats probably why i have a few of these things) so i cant stear you one way or the other.
Jan 03, 2007, 09:24 AM
I am in southern u.k.been flying r/c nitro helis of all sorts for many years..just before christmas I bught the tt titan e-325 I wanted the kit to build .. but they only had the ready built version with motor and speed controll..so I am flying this now..I have many lipo packs of 1800mah 3sp on these it will fly very well indeed...but with a 2170mah li-po in it the model really comes alive! I cant do a comparison for you as I havent flown a trex...the last elec heli was many years ago..a kyosho..it was o.k for a novelty at that time...but this mini titan is a serious bit of kit...I do 3-d flight...but I like smooth 3d so you can appreciate what you are doing, and this machine fits the bill for me..I have full cyclic rate on all the time with a fair ammount of exponential added, its as quick as you want on cyclic especially with the 2170 li-po..yet it is rock solid hovering..still on the same rates..futaba 401 gyro...the tail is clamped.I have +10 to -10 degrees on pitch all the time.there is no vibration anywhere...god if only my nitro helis were like that.Im trying to think of as much info as i can to help you with your decision ..but whatever you decide on you will not be dissapointed with the potential of this small elec heli.I fly it everyday..has had about 50 packs run through it so-far...nothing loose..nothing adjusted..

bob.
Jan 03, 2007, 10:09 AM
Now Wren 1701
Looking forward to the rest of your build and flight reports!
Jan 03, 2007, 04:25 PM
Renewed interest
Thread OP
Thanks for that Bob, its nice to hear about happy owners.

I am doing the tail now. Lots of parts in the tail slider area, its all slop free but a little tighter than i would like. Once i get the heli finished i will let the motor run for a bit with no blades to free things up a bit then i will go over the area again to get the free movement it needs.
Jan 03, 2007, 05:40 PM
before you fit the main blades..make sure you balance them..just a small ammount of inbalance makes a big difference on these small blades..not on the run up particularly or even when flying but its on the run down..it may oscillate badly!..I just bolted them together..over a razor blade edge..and used cellotape.it doesnt show on the stock blades..which are very good by the way.

bob.
Jan 03, 2007, 06:24 PM
Heli Monger
I've always loved Thunder Tiger for their simplicity and awesome flying products. While I have yet to get my E325 I will say I would blindly purchase anything they make without concern for ablility to fly well without hundreds of dollars worth of mods.
Jan 03, 2007, 06:48 PM
Renewed interest
Thread OP
from what i have seen so far i expect it will do well. It would be nice to have a metal head block though, i am sure TT will have some soon enough.
Jan 03, 2007, 07:19 PM
Okay Adam, I guess you are going to force me to MAKE time to get mine going as well.

I got the non-ARF kit, as I want to also do my own thing with motors, etc. In my case I will go straight to a 4s a123 pack and a Z10A-3300. I did a quick fit check on the pack and it sits in there nicely, if you don't use the add-on sloping battery tray. Should have no problem CGing either.

-- Gary
Jan 03, 2007, 08:05 PM
Renewed interest
Thread OP
I am also using a z-10 i have both the 3300 and 3800 to try but i will be using lipo packs on mine. I have a dozen or so 3s packs for these little helis so i will continue to use them.

Gary
I am very much looking forward to your views of the heli and how it works with the a123's though.
Jan 03, 2007, 11:58 PM
Heli Monger
Hey Adam,

What electronics will you be using in it?

I was thinking it's the same size as a Dragonus II and TRex. Thinking HS65s on cyclic, either 9650 or 3954 on tail with a GY401. Maybe a medusa and Spin ESC, Berg 7P

-Tom
Jan 04, 2007, 12:21 AM
Renewed interest
Thread OP
Tom , yep same size as all the others.
I will run HS 65's ( i am pretty sure thats what i have in the draw).
401 and 56 or 9650 (if the heli works well enough to put it in).
i have a few align 35 ampers laying around. For motor choice i have dine something a little different, i have a surplus 2400kv outrunner from something since retired that is good for much mumbo, i will try the 15t pinion on it. I would like something unboggable for the mini-t. If it doesnt work as planned i have a couple of Z-power spares here as well.

Spin esc's , i am unsure of just yet. I have one in a heli now and its startup on the high pole outrunners is not great and to take advantage of the spin ability we need to know motor details, many of which dont exist for the motors we are using.(mainly pole count)

Now i have finished the head links. As reported else where the links are tight and too small for any of our existing tools. I suppose the old squeeze method will need to be employed here (with care).

Nice touch by most mini heli manufacturers is the use of Mod .5 pinions. Certainly makes motor choice much nicer when you already have a stash of workable pinions and easy access to more if needed.

I will also be running my DX7 on this one. I am down to my last unused RX so any more helis and i will need to go shopping (again).

Quick Reply