Apr 17, 2013, 10:24 PM
flyin' fool
Be a DEVIATOR for big fun.

What an amazing lil' flying machine. We've been flying them in up to 50 km/h winds with a bit of ballast.....loops, rolls, inverted, etc, all with ease.

The one with the green elevons is 2.1 ounces and the other two are 2.6. The cores are sanded 5mm Depron wrapped with 2mm floor underlay, then either lam filmed or packing taped. The rest just scraps of leftovers.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2013, 10:56 PM
FSD
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Wow...what a cool little plane. Looks like loads of fun. A video would be cool.

-Paige
Latest blog entry: Flow 3.5 Maiden With Aeros
Apr 17, 2013, 11:50 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
I'd hate to say what the DV8 is very very similar to so I won't , a couple on the market only delivers a choice
Apr 18, 2013, 06:47 AM
flyin' fool
The DV8 has been around for a long time, maybe the other's look like it. Although, there really is nothing new under the sun, as they say.

Buy the way, we just used the picture as the guide and went with the TLAR method, adding the pod to support the electronic bit and pieces we had and to make balance easy.

This small stuff sure is a fun change from flying the big guns. My next wee one is going to be a Mini Micro Moth.
Apr 18, 2013, 09:44 AM
FSD
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Taking a look at this thread I'm inspired to bring the DV8 back. It was an amazing little plane that gave a lot of pilots hours of challenging fun. It's small enough to offer as a ARF... Just install the battery, servos and Rx and you are ready to go. I wonder if there would be any interest in a re-release of this fun little sloper. One of the things I loved about the DV8 was that you could carry it around in your car and if you saw a potential slope you could pull over and get a quick fix. I know whenever I flew the DV8, I would always draw a small crowd of curious onlookers. Great fun.

Paige
Apr 18, 2013, 10:49 AM
flyin' fool
I must say that we have been laughing out loud the whole time that we're flying our DV8s. It's a real performer for maximum silly fun and at it's low flying weight you never have a bad landing. With this newer tiny radio gear you could build a two ouncer, or less, no problem.

Most turn their noses up at small models, until they try them that is. An ARF would be interesting and may inspire more to give small a try. They're as addictive as slope soaring is and having fun is contagious.

'Fly Small, Have a Ball': Frank
Last edited by goldguy; Apr 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
Apr 18, 2013, 03:32 PM
no the other is a small version of something else but like I said choice is the word
Apr 18, 2013, 09:20 PM
Cliff
[QUOTE=steve wenban;24759050]no the other is a small version of something else but like I said choice is the word[/QUOTE

"Choice" is the word Steve and I think the other important word you mention is "Version"
Cliff
Apr 18, 2013, 10:20 PM
FSD
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
I'm sorry...I'm completely confused on what we ad talking about. The DV8 was essentially a miniature version of the Salgo...a design I put out many a year ago. Maybe I'm a bit lost. P
Apr 19, 2013, 07:41 AM
Looks great!!

Any plans??

Grz!!
Apr 19, 2013, 04:10 PM
Its not important Paige, like the ad says Just Do It see ya in May
Apr 19, 2013, 04:27 PM
flyin' fool
I designed and flew my very first RC flying wing, a plank, about 45 years ago and the funny thing is, all the flying planks I've seen since then look just like mine.

We were out again yesterday DV8ting at the local slope. The wind was at a perfect angle at a constant 25 m/h / 40 km/h. BIG FUN was had by all.

The only downside to small is that they can get buried in the blackberry bushes and hide on us.

Yes, we had a plane picker for just that............https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...95&postcount=1
Last edited by goldguy; Apr 19, 2013 at 04:49 PM.
Apr 19, 2013, 05:50 PM
flyin' fool
Trying to post a vid......................later
Apr 24, 2013, 10:14 PM
flyin' fool
Even smaller by a FB, 12 inches at .99 ounces...........................flies like a charm
Last edited by goldguy; Apr 24, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
Apr 27, 2013, 02:22 AM
flyin' fool
One footer get off on the right foot.....................

Quick Reply