DV8 Video - RC Groups
Jan 01, 2007, 09:18 PM
"Will crash for food."
Yippee!

DV8 Video

As mentioned, this is the Salgo DV8 video I've been working on.

If you recall...

Wingspan 17.2"
Wing Area 80
Wing Loading 3.9
AUW 2.2 oz.

This video was taken yesterday. The winds were 10-15 mph. The DV8 was ballasted with 1 oz. on the CG.

Happy New Year.

-Paige

http://futureslopedesigns.com/Home_files/DV8.wmv
http://futureslopedesigns.com/Home_files/DV801.mov
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2007, 09:26 PM
Suspended Account
Very cool.
Jan 02, 2007, 02:36 AM
"Will crash for food."
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhaney
Very cool.

Thanks Will...It was a blast to fly.

-Paige
Jan 02, 2007, 10:56 AM
SlingWinger
I was setting up my hang diver there at Crestline Glider Launch and caught some movement in the corner of my eye. What was that little thing flittering around in the sky? I went over by the rock and there stood Paige, wringin' that little booger out.
Paige was gracious enough to let me experience some "deviant fun" for awhile 'til I got disoriented and put the little cutie thru the trees. No harm no foul he says altho I couldn't find the ballast & there was a small tear in the covering (which in my defense I want to point out the thing is the same color top and bottom).
Thanks Paige! That thing is cuter than a bugs ear! I never dreamed a rc glider that small could fly so well and be so stable even a dumb thumb like me could handle it.
Sign me up for the first production run! Always wanted a 'shirt pocket glider'!

Your durability checker, Steve "crash" Corbin.
Jan 02, 2007, 11:18 AM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Nice little bird and a great video too.
Jan 02, 2007, 11:21 AM
"Will crash for food."
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayhead
I was setting up my hang diver there at Crestline Glider Launch and caught some movement in the corner of my eye. What was that little thing flittering around in the sky? I went over by the rock and there stood Paige, wringin' that little booger out.
Paige was gracious enough to let me experience some "deviant fun" for awhile 'til I got disoriented and put the little cutie thru the trees. No harm no foul he says altho I couldn't find the ballast & there was a small tear in the covering (which in my defense I want to point out the thing is the same color top and bottom).
Thanks Paige! That thing is cuter than a bugs ear! I never dreamed a rc glider that small could fly so well and be so stable even a dumb thumb like me could handle it.
Sign me up for the first production run! Always wanted a 'shirt pocket glider'!

Your durability checker, Steve "crash" Corbin.
No worries Steve. Pretty hard to damage a plane that only weighs 2.2 oz. Good to see that you are living up to your name.

-Paige
Jan 02, 2007, 03:58 PM
now I have a use for two extra hs-55s I have laying around! That thing zips along pretty good.....

Grant
Jan 02, 2007, 06:26 PM
That wing looks very fast!
Jan 02, 2007, 07:01 PM
Rick Rogahn
Is this going to be available in the future as a kit?
Jan 02, 2007, 08:37 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
that is one cool lil plane,, i think i know my next homebrew hehehe,, i can use the 20 inch pocket rocket flying wing and carve the tips round, and walla could be a nice 'to windy' for alula plane hehe
mike
Jan 02, 2007, 08:40 PM
Obsessed
Are you sure you didn't speed up the video (LOL!) That thing looked FAST.
Jan 02, 2007, 11:31 PM
"Will crash for food."

Some DV8 Answers

First, the short answers (for those in a hurry):

No, I didn't speed up the video.

Yes, I would be willing to produce this as a kit (although it really started out as a novelty item). I would have to know that the demand was there before I would commit to tooling the templates and whatnot. The demand would also have to be there as well because a kit like this would have to sell for somewhere around $40.00. It would be hard to justify asking much more. So, without demand, it would be hard to make any money. Does this make sense?

Now for the long answers (for those that have nothing else to do):

Just to set the record straight, I did not speed up the video. At the fasted roll rate in the video, which was the one (possibly two) diving rolls you see near the end are actually that fast in real time. As with other planes with insane roll rates, it is easy to lose count and it is also easy to think that you have rolled more times then you actually did. On the diving roll in the video, I actually edited it too soon and cut off the actual entry into the dive. Then it looks like a bunch of rolls when I think it was only three. I must confess that at that roll rate, it is easy to lose track of the planes orientation. My theory for dealing with this (and is seen in the video) is to only be concerned with altitude. Once I feel that I am approaching a point of no return (which happens in about one second), I either ease the stick straight forward or straight back. You can hardly go wrong in that the plane is either going to be right side up or inverted...after that, it is easy to deal with. If I'm interested in finding out how many rolls I completed...well, I have to go to the video.

If someone would have said to me that this little plane (that started out as a novelty) would perform the way it does, I would have said "no way." How could a 2.2 oz plane fly in 15 mph with the penetration and airspeed it has?

First, it was ballasted with 1 oz of lead bringing the AUW to 3.2. I also give credit to the airfoil, which is a reflexed hybrid from three different foils found on the Internet. It is similar to the Raptor and Salgo airfoil which is what makes them pretty fast (for their weight) as well.

The real surprise with the DV8 was its SAL-ability. I have side-armed launched this little guy a zillion times and I am amazed by its penetration. Granted, it does not have the wingspan to stay aloft as long as other SAL planes...so, about 10-12 seconds is common.

You would think that hand-catching this plane would be a snap, but it is not. The combination of being so tiny and its ultra-light weight make it bounce out your hand on a regular basis. It takes a while to understand that you need to "lead the catch." That means that you move your hand in the same direction as the planes movement to break the impact so it won't bounce.

One change that would have to be made if a kit went on-line is the addition of a spar. The prototype has become somewhat spongy and too flexible. I would want to make a prototype with a spar just to see if it would improve the performance. While it performs well with a wing spar, I imagine a stiffer wing would result in an even better performance (and durability).

The Salgo DV8 was supposed to be the kind of sloper that you could throw in your backpack so you get a quick fix on any mountain (slope). I didn't expect it to do more than just some basic aerobatics and some sailing, so I was surprised that it performed as well as it did.

I need to think about the possibility of DV8 production.

-Paige
Last edited by PLA0242; Jan 03, 2007 at 12:04 AM.
Jan 02, 2007, 11:55 PM
Obsessed
I'd be down for one.
Jan 03, 2007, 12:08 AM
"Will crash for food."
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
I'd be down for one.
By a six-pack of them...LOL

-P
Jan 03, 2007, 04:02 AM

Interested!

Paige,

I was looking at the Salgo...but would rather go with something even lighter.

Put me down for 1

Leland