This thread is privately moderated by Parallax, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 30, 2006, 01:47 PM
Trader Rating: 14
cogito ergo zoom
Thread OP
For Sale

For Sale - H101 Salto (2.6 meter)

Some may recall FiberGlasflugal, one of the very few high-end composite model sailplane manufacturers from the 80's/90's. All composite construction, state of the art processes at that time. For years I flew a 6.25 meter ASW-22B from the same folks (their manufacturing facilities eventually moved to S. Africa). The ASW was by far the best thermalling machine I ever flew, able to out-sky even todays F3X offerings.

I purchased the remaining FG inventory a couple of years back, keeping the best of the best of a 2.6 meter version for myself. As I'm about to start on a 5.4 meter version based on a more recent German manufacturer's fuselage, I'm putting my 2.4 meter version up for sale, it's just too small for my enjoyment level.

I spent (way too) many hours on this project, determined to make it a prestine example of my favorite scale subject. The entire airframe is shot with K&B epoxy in soft yellow, similar to a full scale version I once saw winched up (yup - winched) in Europe. Even the (red) graphics are airbrushed with K&B. All surfaces were custom-fitted and are glass-smooth, with just enough paint to make it look right. See here (more pics available):

https://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/sho...cat=500&page=1
https://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/sho...cat=500&page=1

The canopy has a lightweight spring steel retention system (my own design), as well as a (scale) spring steel tailskid. I made the ELEV and AIL direct-drive (embedded servos), and cable-driven spoilers (with my ingenious mods to gaurantee proper deployment/retraction every time) do an excellent job on approach. Although this airframe excells on the slope, a releasable towhook is present for aero-towing. The wings and V-tails unplug for transportation, this project was so special to me I built a really cool travelling box (again, pics avail). With my custom plug-and-play wiring harness, setting up or breaking down for the day takes less than a minute (plug the wings on and tighten one capscrew, attach spoiler linkages, and the V-tails have their own detent on the connector system).

It flies extremely well for a scale aircraft, and carries significant energy through an aerobatic routine due to it's very slippery design. It lands well, requiring judicious spoiler application during approach to bleed off speed and altitude (double fence - 1/2 deployment to reduce height, full deployment for spot landing). As with any V-tail aircraft, yaw stability suffers (this is inherent in the fullsize H-101). However rolls are axial based on the surface movements learned through flight testing and a touch of opposite RUDD.

Anyways, it should be clear that this example from FG is probably one of "very" few remaining world-wide...in absolute pristine condition. My buddy flies the 4.6 meter version, and can comment on the quality and flight chracteristics as well. Asking $750 ready to fly.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2006, 04:14 PM
Trader Rating: 6
Nice pics, did you fly from the Muller's place in Cochrane?
Jan 02, 2007, 09:27 PM
Trader Rating: 14
cogito ergo zoom
Thread OP
Thanks. I do, great spot for southwesterlies that is close to cowtown...

Quick Reply