Dec 06, 2008, 09:06 AM
Thanks for those links Charlie. Yet another possibility for an airfoiled wing.
Mine came out a little tail heavy but not too bad. Aileron servo sits about mid wing and Rudder/Elevator servos are about even with trailing edge. Carbon Fiber control rods run through a couple chunks of foam on the way back. The Blue Wonder I had in it broke one of the wires so I put a 36 gram Suppo in and that took care of the problem. 3s500mah lipo sits even with the leading edge now.

Sterling
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2008, 11:23 AM
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659911

go down to the pdf files I think post 14 and download the build guide. another way to build a full wing.

The Mite took to the air this AM. about 5 mph winds. Flies ok but I think I need to wait till this PM when the wind dies down to 0 and try again. The .24 oz. motor and 2 cell lipo seems to be too little on hover but I really don't have the plane tweeked yet.
WAY too much rudder. Tuned it down to about 30% throw. Tried KE but wouldn't do it
Don't know if it's the CG or not but I only ran through two lipos my fingers got numb 28 Degreese F and I don't like flying with gloves on.
I got to get used to it, its a real floater.

Ready for paint .... HMMMMM

ZZ
Dec 06, 2008, 11:46 AM
This thread illustrates an even simpler/effective way to do "built up" Depron wings and some info on bending depron.. very interesting actually

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ighlight=ta183
Dec 06, 2008, 03:05 PM
With EPP/Depron flyers the most significant is to control the airflow with all available flaps. Most designs have nothing to do with aerodynamics. Als long as you generate enoug wind with the prop and can control the direction of the flow, it will certainly fly. Take the F3P flyers for example, they can moves no other plane can do without falling out of the sky (or correct in another direction/axis).

And what ZZ says, it's pretty dangerous flying outside with a real model plane and try to do the same tricks at less than 1 meter off the ground.
Dec 08, 2008, 03:09 AM
I flew the SM yesterday. Trimmed all flaps on sight and flew straight away the first time, very stable and at 1/3 throttle still perfect. But sooooooo aggresive on the ailerons. I set the expo to 40% on ailerons and just a slight touch resulted 4 rolls. I set the travel back to 30% (about 20mm up/down) and now it's a very nice flyer.

Soundman, thanks for this wonderfull design. This one I'll keep for sure, copied the plans to polycarbonate templates so I can make lots of them in the future.

The next one will be just like this one. No need to reduce weight, the 204 grams and 850mAh 2S LiPo is perfect. Gives me 20 minutes of slow flying. And the next one will be illuminated, it's almost christmas.
Dec 21, 2008, 10:41 AM
Plane and multirotor's - FPV

KF-wing

Hi all.
I'mbuilding one at the moment, using 10mm. EPP (fuse and wing) and 6mm. depron(tail parts).
I was wondering if anybody has tried a KF-profile on the wing ?
I have widen the wingtips apox. 1" on the back of the wing for more area to take the weigth of my thick EPP.....

Hoping to use a costom wind BlueWonder 1750kv.2cell 9x5GWS HD

Any comment more than welcome

Best regards
Kai
Dec 21, 2008, 12:57 PM
Good question Kai. Which KF are you thinking? Top, bottom, both? I am currently working on a built up wing for my new one. Not getting in a big hurry cause the weather stinks so far this winter. Today it's 28 mph winds and the temp right now is sitting at 0. Be sure to post some pics and let us know how it works out for you!

Sterling
Dec 21, 2008, 06:45 PM
Hi there Sterling

I was thinkin of KF-2 type...... topside 50% cowering.
I'l take some pictures as i go..... but because i'm using 10mm. EPP i have to modify the front\cowling a bit.
We also have winter, but rain makes our field muddy......
I was hoping to find a dealer here that offers thinner EPP ,but it seems difficult....

Best regards

Kai
Dec 29, 2008, 05:04 PM
As promised in my previous post the new Silent Mite is finished. Just a few minor mods: Extended the wing surface by 3cm and shortened the ailerons to 5cm, made the rudder more "edge shaped" and.... Added LED illumination on to the top half inside the fuselage (which can be switched on and off remotely).

Since this is the plane used to be homed in the back of my car, I did not do a perfect paintjob.

Top view

Bottom of the wing area
Dec 29, 2008, 06:20 PM

Yippiiieee.......Maiden tonight...

I maiden my SM tonight at 22.00in the evening, dark outside with som LED's on. . . . .Beautiful !!!!!
Had some orientasion difficulties, but she's a lovely floater, so i just cut the trottel and let her fall.....back to earth. . . he he
All creds to the designer . . . .

Thanks a million Soundman !!!

Best regards
Kai
Dec 31, 2008, 08:15 AM
Its been a while...
Thread OP
Sorry chaps - I didn't realise that there had been activity on the thread...I didn't get any notification emails coming through.

Its great to finally see more Silentmites being built - I guess with a model that is a bit different, people take a little more convincing.

I don't fly anywhere as much now as I used to - I did originally plan to make plans for a Minimite, Micromite and a bigger version with a built up wing (36" span) Mightymite?. The larger one is half drawn up, not sure I'll ever finish it though due to lack of time & materials.

As a side note, I am in the process of adding some more of my plans to the web page as well. They won't all be as well finished as the Silentmite, but they have all been built & fly well.

Watch this space
Dec 31, 2008, 08:17 AM
Its been a while...
Thread OP
...any chance of seeing a photo of a Silentmite lit up with LED's?
Dec 31, 2008, 01:43 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman
Sorry chaps - I didn't realise that there had been activity on the thread...I didn't get any notification emails coming through.

Its great to finally see more Silentmites being built - I guess with a model that is a bit different, people take a little more convincing.

I don't fly anywhere as much now as I used to - I did originally plan to make plans for a Minimite, Micromite and a bigger version with a built up wing (36" span) Mightymite?. The larger one is half drawn up, not sure I'll ever finish it though due to lack of time & materials.

As a side note, I am in the process of adding some more of my plans to the web page as well. They won't all be as well finished as the Silentmite, but they have all been built & fly well.

Watch this space
I built a 50% mite (micro-mite?) and it flies excellently. It can easily fly in the space of a basket ball court, although I fly mine outdoors.
Dec 31, 2008, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman
...any chance of seeing a photo of a Silentmite lit up with LED's?
Not quite finished but to satisfy your hunger a little... Behold my Silent Light

The differences in color are caused by using the wrong resistors. Some LEDs are parallel and need a different resistor. But didn't have them available for the picture. Still need to place some LEDs on the wingtips. When finished I'll post a vid flying at night as well.

At our club there are already 3 Silent Mites in the air and a few more are coming.
Dec 31, 2008, 05:47 PM

Another Silent LED

Here is my Silent LED....

Best Regards, and happy new year to all of you

Kai

Quick Reply