Sep 15, 2002, 07:59 PM
jmh
jmh
Thread OP

New Camera Mount Prevents Distortion

I solved the Mini PenCam distortion problem of taking pictures while under power. The solution is so simple that I'm surprised some of you had'nt figured it out by now. I will post a picture of this solution a little later (if there's any interest). Maybe someone would like to guess how to solve this problem? I am attaching a photo taken under full climbing power, you be the judge.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2002, 08:01 PM
Leave me alone!
Details, man, details!

Martin
Sep 15, 2002, 09:10 PM
Great! Please lets us know how you did it. I wrapped my camera in foamrubber which cut down on the waves a lot, but it's still noticable.
Sep 15, 2002, 09:11 PM

Call Me Interested!!!

VERY INTERESTED. DETAILS PLEASE!!
Sep 15, 2002, 09:18 PM
Look! Up in the sky!

let's see...

the camera is hanging under the plane from kite string? no...

camera is out on a wingtip, away from the vibration? no...

swaddled in cushy foam? maybe...

I give up!

Cough it the 'tails!
Sep 15, 2002, 09:26 PM
jmh
jmh
Thread OP
ebird......you are getting very warm!!!!
Sep 15, 2002, 10:34 PM
Post them already!
Sep 15, 2002, 11:01 PM
jmh
jmh
Thread OP
O.K. this is what I did. I simply slung my camera assembly below my mounting support bracket. Not too close-- not to far. The first time I tried this, I took 19 total pictures......18 very good/1 bad. The bad picture was taken just before touchdown, very close to the ground. I will attach picture of mount. Notice there is only 3 lines supporting camera assembly. This can probably be improved on, but it is a good starting place. Please let me hear some feedback. jmh
Sep 15, 2002, 11:07 PM
jmh
jmh
Thread OP
Another view.............
Sep 15, 2002, 11:13 PM
Not sure I follow you with the pictures provided....

Can you describe the mount more? Perhaps talk about the materials used... Maybe a top down shot and stuff....

Thanks
Sep 15, 2002, 11:41 PM
jmh
jmh
Thread OP
Sorry Cactus, maybe this will help. The wire structure hanging down from the fuselage boom is made of alum. welding rod. The blue camera box is foam. I taped some 1/32 plywood on top of the box. This all connects to the wire structure with 3 short lengths of nylon line. This help? The attached picture is to show the wire structure only(old picture).
Sep 15, 2002, 11:45 PM
I think I see it. I will have to do something different because mine is out of its case now and is powered by the triggering servo. 1.3 oz. I am trying different mounts and looking for a good point of view from the plane.

Thanks
Sep 16, 2002, 06:50 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
JMH - I see your servo has a line attached, to "pull" and activate the shutter. Can you explain how this is set up?

I am planning on mounting the camera on thin ply, a servo on the same board, and have it "push" a rod into the shutter switch to activate.

I may alter my design based on your setup.
Sep 16, 2002, 08:37 PM
jmh
jmh
Thread OP
"Hello" eBird, Maybe this picture will help. Keep in mind there is a slot in the plywood that the clip-pin goes thru. This slot allows the servo to pull the clip-pin which trips the camera. This make sense? The clip-pin also makes it possible to remove the camera. Note that the small yellow tubing (ni-rod) stays on the camera (it is stuck thru the hole in the camera swivel) The clip-pin goes thru the plywood arm, and the yellow tubing(which is captured in the swivel). My old English teacher would rip me on this! jmh
Sep 16, 2002, 09:54 PM
Looks like a mouse trap, but if it works good...what the hay

Quick Reply