Dec 29, 2006, 02:47 AM
I'd rather be flying...
Thread OP
Discussion

New Guy wants to buy or make a tilt system with goggles!

New Guy wants to buy or make a tilt system with goggles for my Ultra mini Stick. PLease help, i have no idea where to start. If there is a plug and play id buy it!

I would like the camera to move as i move my head, but if that puts it at 3 times the cost of a non tilt system i will just go for the cheaper one. Also if the VR puts it over the top i guess i can use my lap top! But then how do you pan and tilt?

Im using a 9chp futaba remote, i guess about 1000 foot range? so my video TX need not be more powerfull than i need. Please advise. Urls Please!

Thanks
Dave
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2006, 06:21 AM
First in order to P/T pan & tilt, you need Anthony's TrackR1 ($160.00USD) www.areopix.ch .
Assign two channels for P/T. In my case I do not allow the "trainer" to control, my ailerons, rudder, throttle and elevator. Just the two dedicated auxillery channels 7&8. Channels 7&8 will pan & tilt. Connect the TrackR1 to the back of your Futaba 9c TX and hold the trainer switch down with an elastic band. ( TrackR1 will pretend to be a trainer with a buddy box.) Power on your Futaba TX and with TrackR1 on the right side of you, the pan & tilt should work. If not you might have to adjust TrackR1 to your prefered settings ( I think TrackR1 default settings for P/T is channels 5&6 ). It's really that simple.
Anthony at Areopix.ch is extreamley great to deal with and I have nothing but good things to say about him, so I recommend you talk to him regarding a audio/video receiver, transmitter and also TrackR1. He's extreamley affordable ,honest and he moves @ the speed of business!

I use a Hitec HS81 servo (pan)with a 180' servo extender (servocity.com), and a Hitec HS55 servo for tilt.

Here is a video of my test set up using a Futaba 9C TX and Anthony's TrackR1.
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...764&pr=goog-sl

You may want to see the influential VRFlyer's set up for an excellent reference source.
http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1084
Last edited by JMSTECH; Dec 29, 2006 at 09:48 AM.
Dec 29, 2006, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdaveq
New Guy wants to buy or make a tilt system with goggles for my Ultra mini Stick. PLease help, i have no idea where to start. If there is a plug and play id buy it!

I would like the camera to move as i move my head, but if that puts it at 3 times the cost of a non tilt system i will just go for the cheaper one. Also if the VR puts it over the top i guess i can use my lap top! But then how do you pan and tilt?

Im using a 9chp futaba remote, i guess about 1000 foot range? so my video TX need not be more powerfull than i need. Please advise. Urls Please!

Thanks
Dave
Here is a URL to a thread about home made tilt and pan setups.

Simple Tilt & Pan
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576597

I have channel 7 and 8 on my futaba under control my head tracking goggles, but I can also control those channels with the center knob and the right knob on the transmitter, so if I don't have the head tracking goggles, I can still aim the camera in flight.

If you look at the various tilt and pans shown in the thread, you should be able to kludge somthing together in a couple of hours. After you have made one or two you will probably get a bit inventive and design one that you like better.

Pete
Dec 29, 2006, 12:23 PM
I'd rather be flying...
Thread OP
www.areopix.ch < this linik is not working guys!
Dec 29, 2006, 12:28 PM
Quote:
www.areopix.ch < this linik is not working guys!
should be www.aeropix.ch :-)
Dec 29, 2006, 06:47 PM
Yes thanks Anthony for the correction!
Dec 29, 2006, 07:05 PM
I'd rather be flying...
Thread OP
ok guys I just want to compile a list of EVERYTHING I will need including every little cable and connector to get my total price and so im not stuck waiting for parts. so far from what i gather I will need to complete this system:

What i know and where to get:

1. Track R1 from www.aeropix.ch
2. a Hitec HS81 servo (pan)with a 180' servo extender (servocity.com), and a Hitec HS55 servo for tilt.

What i dont know what or where to get:

1. Camera sound is not needed!
2. Video TX and needed wires & accesories if any
(1000 feet is my futabas range so i guess thats all i need for the video tx)

3.Video RX and all wires and goodies for laptop connection and or VR connection
4. VR Goggles.

Can someone receomend a decent set up with urls please. thank you
Dec 29, 2006, 07:45 PM
Quote:
ok guys I just want to compile a list of EVERYTHING I will need including every little cable and connector to get my total price and so im not stuck waiting for parts. so far from what i gather I will need to complete this system:

What i know and where to get:

1. Track R1 from www.aeropix.ch
2. a Hitec HS81 servo (pan)with a 180' servo extender (servocity.com), and a Hitec HS55 servo for tilt.

What i dont know what or where to get:

1. Camera sound is not needed!
2. Video TX and needed wires & accesories if any
(1000 feet is my futabas range so i guess thats all i need for the video tx)

3.Video RX and all wires and goodies for laptop connection and or VR connection
4. VR Goggles.

Can someone receomend a decent set up with urls please. thank you
You need a camera, a video transmitter and a video receiver:
http://www.blackwidowav.com/
http://www.futurehobbies.com/
http://www.rangevideo.com/

One of the outfits above should fill the bill.

I usually hard wire my stuff into a servo plug and get my power from the bec, but a lot of people think you should use a voltage regulator and run off the main battery or a separate pack. This is a good source of regulators:

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/

Before you hook up video goggles think about this. Are you going to record the flight? If so, how? I suggest thinking about it since you can run the receiver right into the goggles or you can split the signal and send it to both the recording device and the goggles. If you plan to be able to record and use goggles then you should be able to amplify your signal. I got one of these, but the outfit I got it from is not a winner. It is pretty inexpensive and people have gotten similar devices on eBay pretty much at the same price.

http://www.mp3playerstore.com/stuff_...ries/VA-14.htm

You can split the signal with just a Y connector but you lose quality when you do.

On Goggles, the sky is the limit, and if you want head tracking goggles the first place on the list is where I got mine. This is new and you will have to do your own research. This is an area in flux. Nothing is perfect yet.

http://www.rc-tech.ch/web/index.php?lang=en

In fact. I am going to suggest on the goggles you just google HMD or Head Mounted Display and after a few hours of poking around this forum and googling you then look on eBay and see what the real prices are. Then come back here and ask about what you might want to buy.

Also bear in mind that there are three or four guys about to introduce new head tracking gear "any day now."

Whatever you get will be obsolete by summer.

Save some money for the WRAM show. I see you are in New York. You never know what you might find there.

Pete
Dec 29, 2006, 08:09 PM
I'd rather be flying...
Thread OP
thanks pete, who are the guys going to be selling the packaged systems?
Dec 30, 2006, 06:19 AM
Just one comment on the tilt servo, you might want to go with an HS56 (Karbonite gears) instead of the HS55. I have lost count of how many gears I have stripped on the HS55 that I use currently.
Dec 30, 2006, 09:44 AM
Quote:
thanks pete, who are the guys going to be selling the packaged systems?
I think AnthonyRC is working on one.
Zaviation is working with a group, and there is one other guy who showed some stuff a while back on the AV forum.

I don't know if or when any of this stuff will be ready, but I mention it since whatever you get today could very well be obsolete in a little while.

All we need is some minor improvement, like not having to re center the gear in flight or not having to use the buddy system or who knows what.

My attitude is: Buy what you have to and upgrade whenever something really good comes along. This is all very new and there will be lots of improvements in the next few years.

We thought RC reached perfection when we had the first proportional gear, then digital proportional blew away the early analog stuff. Then someone came out with expo and high and low rates. Then computer radios, where you could program all this stuff.

One of these days someone is going to come up with a radio system with built in telemetry and all you will have to do is plug your goggles into your RC tx. Of course, by then I will probably be too old to fly, but I can hope, can't I!

Pete
Dec 30, 2006, 11:32 AM
I'd rather be flying...
Thread OP
its possible to fly an rc plane with just your mind too! but i will stick with an RC ufo flown by a mini warp field when its availble....lol

Quick Reply