Dec 28, 2006, 12:00 PM
Go on just 1 more beer then
Thread OP
Discussion

Gap seal on flaps and ailerons

Does anyone know of a web site showing how to fit gap seals on flaps and ailerons? The moulded wing is already together and using tape seems such a shame so I want to put in proper epoxy ones like on the Jibe and later version Demons, I assume you tape it up and feed in micro balloons with a syringe or similar but I am not sure.

Many thanks,

Rob.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2006, 11:25 PM
BiggerBetterFasterMORE!!!
tape works just fine, and is used on even the most expensive best models that don't already have built in wipers. I have not seen any method to add molded epoxy wipers to an already built wing. I say use tape, or don't do anything.

~~fred
Dec 28, 2006, 11:58 PM
Any photos or text descriptions on how to build and install the tape wipers on a molded wing?

Eric
Dec 29, 2006, 12:29 AM
where can you get the tape with half of it with out adhesive??? what is it called on the websites??
Dec 29, 2006, 05:33 AM
Don't buy expensive tape for the wipers.
Just use standard tape , cut it to the width you need so you can have full travel without the tape hitting the sub spar or coming out of the fixed part of the wing.

Glue the tape to the aileron and spread some talcum powder to remove the stickiness of the hanging part of the tape.

insert the gap seal inside the wing using a rounded bamboo squewer or a small screw driver.

Very very very easy to do and light.
Dec 29, 2006, 07:31 AM
What he said - just fold over one end!

Here in the US, the only packing tape worth using (for gap seals and hinges) is Duck Brand Crystal Clear - available from many office supply stores..
..a
Dec 29, 2006, 10:16 AM
BiggerBetterFasterMORE!!!
http://www.electricedgemodels.com/co...tion.htm#brake

I use standard Scotch tape. Comes in a red box at the office store. The "majic" or white looking tape isn't what you want, its the clear old fashioned stuff.

talc is the trick, don't waste $$ on special tape. You can really use any tape that is flexible enough to not bind the control surfaces, but also stiff enough to do some good at sealing the gap.
Dec 29, 2006, 10:43 AM
I plan to take over world
Roy,
Epoxy seals are done with tape and micro balloon epoxy like you suggested. I don't think it's good idea to use syringe, just spread the epoxy with thin balsa stick and let it cure in right position so the epoxy stays on the tape and ailerons fully deflected. Use some cotton or chopped glass also to make some strength and maybe silica to avoid flowing.
I don't bother making epoxy seals if there is enough room for tape. I use micro balloons to make the tape unsticky.
Dec 29, 2006, 11:16 AM
Hi Rob,

molded seals can be made very easy by adding some cleartape on your aileron and let it stick out at the gap for about 4 to 5 mm.
then fix the aileron with some tape to its full deflection so that you have some room to work with,the add some thickened epoxy to the aileron/tape.
then carefully realease the aileron and slide the tape under the wingskin,and fix the aileron to an bit more deflection then you want to use later in flight.
When the epoxy is cured remove the tape and you have an perfect molded gapseal.

Ruud
Dec 29, 2006, 11:45 AM
electron liberator
I also use the electricedgemodels.com technique.
Dec 29, 2006, 12:07 PM
Use Kapton tape. We all have it and not much is lighter or easier to work with.
Dec 29, 2006, 01:16 PM
.. but much more expensive..
Dec 29, 2006, 05:14 PM
Go on just 1 more beer then
Thread OP

Epoxy gap seal.

Thanks for the tips chaps, I have just come in from the Garage and the first one went well. If the other 3 go as well I should be test flying the new model in a week as the fuz is all done and it all looks very nice.

Antti why do you prefer tape over Epoxy seals i would have thought at the speeds our models fly the tape would be sucked out of the gap?

Rob
Dec 29, 2006, 05:23 PM
I plan to take over world
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob AR
Antti why do you prefer tape over Epoxy seals i would have thought at the speeds our models fly the tape would be sucked out of the gap?

Rob
Hi,
If the gap seal is on the under side it's on the high pressure side so it's not sucked out anywhere. The max deflection is on flaperons brakes and I have no seen any problems- if they work on the bench they work in air too
Epoxy seals can add professional touch if you can remove the sticky glue from the tape which is tranfered to the seal

Quick Reply