Dec 27, 2006, 10:45 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Which Trex is right for me?

First off is the Trex 450XL considered a micro heli? and which Trex is the biggest?

i have a Blade cp2 and hate that i cant fly it out doors because its always too windy! I was looking at buying the trex 450XL but i doesn't seem that much bigger that the blade cp2? Can the trex 450XL handle a lil wind?
(10-15 mph)

I was searching on helihobby.com and found out that they have a wide verity of kits available to chose from. i'm thinking of buying the one that's 100% ready to fly out the box for $725 "T-Rex 450XL CDE Spectrum Package" this come with a "2.4G Transmitter, matching 2.4G receiver and 4 Micro Spectrum servos" and all other electronics needed to fly, brush-less... Is this a good radio? is this over all a good package?

Basically what i'm looking for is a durable heli that can survive a few crashed, easy to fly and can handle the wind. If anyone has any other recommendations i'm all ears. Thanks my budget is $850 and preferable RTF
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2006, 11:15 PM
The Trex 600 is the biggest. Check out this deal https://www.rcgroups.com/pages/splist/link.php?s=862
Thats a Trex 600, motor, esc, bec, lipo for cyclic $399 and if you add a GY401, 9254and 3 servos, $599. That leaves you $250 to buy lipos. I would look at Maxamps for batteries. They have great prices on great batteries. Good Luck. Ron
Dec 27, 2006, 11:45 PM
Hmm. There are only two sizes of T-Rex. The 600, which really is big, and discussion belongs in this forum, and the 450 which is a mini size. The 450XL CDE you mention is one of the mini-size ones; they use 325mm blades, so they're a good step up from the CP2, and yes, they can handle quite a bit of wind (if you can).

The Spectrum package is pretty good, depending on what gyro it includes, but do expect to be buying new servos pretty soon as S75s don't last long on a T-Rex.

You don't really want an RTF heli, trust me on this... one screw with missing loctite can cause a really nasty crash, you want to build it yourself to get all those little details right. It doesn't take that long to put a T-Rex together, and it's worth understanding how it goes together so you can figure out part replacements more easily later.

Oh, and helihobby aren't exactly a recommended supplier... search on them here before spending money with them.
Dec 28, 2006, 08:51 AM
Will fly for food
Well there IS a third size coming, the Trex 500. 400 - 450 mm blades.

I would not get a CDE. I would get an S series in the 450. SE, SA, or S. They are all direct CCPM.

As for what setup/combo to get, search on HeliHobby and read the threads, MANY people have had trouble with them.

For Trex I would go to Ready Heli, Tech Model Products or Grand RC. All will put together a combo for you with GOOD parts at a good price and will support it.
Dec 28, 2006, 06:39 PM
Ditto on the kit route - you will be very glad you did after that first crash. Being intimately familiar with the heli before you send it up is worth its weight in lipos.

The 450 can handle some wind. I won't fly mine over a 10mph breeze, just isn't as enjoyable, but I have read of others braving 25+ with them.

Spektrum is a good radio, but unless they've changed the servos, they are disappointing for a heli, the S75's I bought for a fixed wing were terrible at centering and slower than the HS55's I started with in my T-Rex.

FYI - though many in this forum have little T-Rexes, the Mini Heli Forum is the place to ask about them. You'll get a lot more traffic and a lot of topics are already covered if you use the search. Good luck!

Quick Reply