Dec 27, 2006, 02:37 AM
Thread OP
Yippee!

Sneak peek - 1/6 sport scale Bf109-E4

Hi all,

Just wanted to give a you all a holiday season sneak peek of my latest creation, a 65" 1/6 Bf109. Model E-4 if you must know

It's an easy to build, sport scale model but with a true scale outline. 6ch including flaps, mechanical retracts and a steerable tailwheel. Classical foam wing and balsa/ply fuselage construction.
Designed to use either an Axi 4130/16 with 6s lipos or a .60 glow engine

Thomas
Last edited by thomanie; Jan 12, 2007 at 03:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2007, 03:18 AM
Thread OP
Upper hatch and canopy are close to done, and she's getting ever closer to flyable...

Thomas
Jan 15, 2007, 09:31 PM
Manzano Laser Works
It's looking very good, Thomas!

Tom
Jan 15, 2007, 10:04 PM
Cool, how did I miss this! Looking good so far. Is this your own design, or a kit?

D-Rock
Jan 16, 2007, 12:51 AM
Thread OP
@Tom
Thanks

@D-Rock
You probably missed it because I didn't post it "all over" intentionally She is my own design. We'll see what the future brings, but there should at least be plans available should she fly nicely. I'll probably do a proper buildthread once she has been maidened.

Have done a lot of additional work on her. All the small parts are covered, still need to cover the fuse and wing. Wing mounting done and servos installed (and the gear retracts - yeayh ). Cowling and spinner are up next.

Thomas
Jan 26, 2007, 01:58 AM
Thread OP

Base colors!

Base colors are on

Finishing the canopy, cowl and spinner are just about the only things left to do. And final hookups of course.

Model will depict "Yellow 9" with a splinter camo and yellow nose (Sept 1940). Since it's a sport scale model, Im not sure how far I'll take the splinter camo. Might fly her with a single color, "splinter" camo

Thomas
Jan 29, 2007, 05:11 AM
Thread OP

4" scale spinner?

I tried making my own spinner on the drillpress this weekend - no luck really. Feels way too flimsy. Maybe I didn't use enough layers of fibreglass. It was hard to get it nice and round as well, and I don't have access to a lathe.

So...

Anyone have a pointer to a 4" E-model spinner? I know of the Skyshark one at 3.88", but it's a tad bit too small. May not be noticeable though. So, that's my backup solution. At $60 with the adapter it's kinda expensive. And onĝly two blade. I want to run a 3-bladed Varioprop in the end...

Thomas
Jan 29, 2007, 05:23 PM

Me-109e spinner

Marutaka sold a spinner to match their Me-109. 3-bladed, too. Aluminum cone and backplate. 93mm diameter, a bit small, I think. I also think availability is stock-on-hand at a hobby shop.

What I'm looking for are wheels suitable for the Marutaka Me-109e. The airplane used wheels much narrower than used on most other WWII aircraft, so that nothing I've found looks 'right'. I'd be overjoyed to find a source.

Good luck with your spinner search.
Jan 30, 2007, 02:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH
Marutaka sold a spinner to match their Me-109. 3-bladed, too. Aluminum cone and backplate. 93mm diameter, a bit small, I think. I also think availability is stock-on-hand at a hobby shop.
Thanks Peter. I do however think the Skyshark one will be the better of those two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH
What I'm looking for are wheels suitable for the Marutaka Me-109e. The airplane used wheels much narrower than used on most other WWII aircraft, so that nothing I've found looks 'right'. I'd be overjoyed to find a source.
Did you see tubigs wheels over on RCSB?

I did like tubig and started out with some 4" wheels - but took his building instructions only half way... I'm still using the original plastic hubs in mine, after some minor slimming.
You can do the wheels his way for any(!) size 109

Thomas
Feb 01, 2007, 05:14 AM
Thread OP

I folded...

I folded and ordered the Skyshark spinner.

Anyone happen to know which adapter will fit the radial mount kit of my Axi 4130/16? It's got an Ĝ=8mm shaft, but not sure of which thread.

Thomas
Feb 12, 2007, 06:57 AM
Thread OP
Time for a small progress report

All surfaces are hinged and done. I'm still waiting for the spinner and adapter (8x1mm thread btw) from Skyshark and Tower respecitvely so I can start working on the cowl.
Hinges are normal plastic and steel pin hinges that are CA'ed in place. Vaseline work wonders for not clogging up a hinge with CA! Add some to the pin and the the center joint, then work it into the hinge before CA'ing in place.

I still need to get most control surfaces hooked up properly, and add the cockpit windows. I should hopefully have that done by the time the rest arrives.

Thomas
Feb 12, 2007, 02:17 PM
Gravity sucks.
Nice bird. I did my canopy the same way, as a frame, then attached the glass. Looks very scale that way, has some depth you know?
Mark
Feb 13, 2007, 02:57 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Mark

The canopy turned out far better than I had thought really. With the numbers and lettering on, it's starting to look mean...!

Thomas
Feb 26, 2007, 11:32 AM
Thread OP

Tail linkages hookup

At home with a busted back - so I did the tail linkage hookups.

The tailwheel steering linkage is hooked up to the rudder horn. It works, but is proof good ideas aren't always good in practice. Would be better if the rudder linkage went from the servo to the tailwheel, and then on to the rudder. Or with a separate pushrod to the tailwheel alltogether.

Thomas
Feb 26, 2007, 02:50 PM
Thread OP

Fuselage numbers and markings

Cut out some iron-on covering letters and markings for my Yellow 9.

I've used the normal multi-layered technique to make these. Doesn't take a lot of time and gives reasonably good results

A great many thanks to those that have posted some of these markings in the sticky decals thread in this forum.

Thomas

Quick Reply