Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 25, 2006, 05:41 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

FPV-project 2005-2007+

I hope this thread will inspire other people, and I hope I can get some help with some of my problems....

My Ideer:
Long distance flight
Aerial Photography (My Casio Z750, switch between camera-image in glasses..)
High altitude aerial photography
Visual-flight like a 1:1 pilot...

My project:
Pan-tilt/Camera-unit moveable to other air-planes..
Datalogger installed

Next steps:
Better transmitter/reciever
Home-made video-glasses (one-eye)
Head-tracking system
Flight-stabilizer-system
Video-overlay if possible...
Better camera

I have looked at lots of system, and could see a common problem is that the tilt-servo can't take the load from the camera at hard-landings, so I created my own tilt-system. I use a Hitec HS-85BB+ MG servo as pan-servo for a smooth and strong base..

You can see the deflection at the pictures, a longer push/pull-rod could create a bigger tilt-range, but I don't see it nessesary.
Tilting is now done by a slider.

Panning is done by the rudder-stick. Rudder-movement can be done by mixing with aileron, or to the rudder stick.

I haven't made any modifications to the servos, the panning-servo rotate with endpoint at 140% in my transmitter, and I can see the tip-trailing-edge on both wings. (not illustrated)

Video of moving-camera

Why I wanted this system in first place
In 1996 I started rc-flying, I wanted to learn it by myself, with help from my father. My father is pilot on 1:1 birds, but he wasn't very helpfull, he needed the visual-effect from the cockpit, and the feelings from the seat. My father stop'ed and I learned it over the summer 1997.
From this time I have always dream'ed about seeing my father flying a rc-plane with his former-missing visual-effect.

I started this project in 2005, with fixed camera, and used my laptop as display.
Last edited by absolute-zero; Dec 25, 2006 at 05:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 25, 2006, 05:47 PM
Thread OP
My first question...

My camera is a no-name cam, with 20mW transmitter (YES it is 20mW). I want a 500mW transmitter and a better receiver from range-video i think, but can I use my camera with these transmitters...

I can see my camera/transmitter have a white, yellow, red and black wire, and other transmitters receive the same amount of wires and colors.

Can you help?

Dec 25, 2006, 06:07 PM
Have you tried one of the black widow systems?
Dec 25, 2006, 06:18 PM
Thread OP
No i haven't. Do anyone know what these four wires normal are used for... ??

Here are my guess, but I don't know for sure...
Red (+)
Black (-, and referance-zero to AV),
White (mono-Audio)
Yellow (PAL-Video)
Dec 25, 2006, 07:13 PM
HeliAP'er!
Your guesses are correct
Dec 25, 2006, 07:28 PM
Thread OP
Great thank you, so this mean that I can use any transmitter with this type of connection... without replacing my camera...

It isn't the best camera, but it works.. )
Dec 25, 2006, 07:31 PM
HeliAP'er!
Um in theory yes .... well, those are the industry-standard colours for +ve rail, gnd, video and audio at least ....
Dec 25, 2006, 07:39 PM
well you say you want to fly FPV "long distance"if your doing that then your gonna want better equipment right off the bat.IMO when you start Flying FPV it only Makes sense to use only high quality parts and equipment cheaping it could cause you to loose your plane,etc.the margin for error is allot less when flying out,especially out of visual range.

a good CCD camera such as the KX131 and a good transmitter,receiver setup by one of the popular vendors,such as Range video,Bwav,etc.is a MUST.anyone of these are wonderful setups and work really good when used with a higher gain patch on the receiving end.

i Fly fpv and have many many hours under the hood and have had no accidents or close calls.not even a drop out,rock solid performance.

have a good one
Walter
Dec 25, 2006, 08:39 PM
I agree with Walter. I'd suggest spending the extra money and upgrading to a new system. The camera may do for now, however when you fly under the hood you can use any resolution you can get.
Dec 26, 2006, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute-zero
...I created my own tilt-system.
clever tilt mount. hadn't seen that approach before.
Dec 26, 2006, 10:08 PM
Live FPV or Die
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute-zero
No i haven't. Do anyone know what these four wires normal are used for... ??

Here are my guess, but I don't know for sure...
Red (+)
Black (-, and referance-zero to AV),
White (mono-Audio)
Yellow (PAL-Video)
100% exact, you can plug any tx on the market, it will work. Very good idea you have for the tilt. Do you have a patend I know severals of my friends who will love it , welcome on board
The best for you is to buy "ready to fly kit" from Range video (500mWtx), you will have the best cam for FPV. Your cam need to be very, very good to beat it, don't judge the quality from the video we made on Video-pilotage(FPV), it's nothing compare to watch the cam ( KX-131) directly plug to TV. Also buy wider lens.
Your planes will be very hard to begin to fly FPV with it, you will lost 50% of your feild of view, it will remain only the sky and few of the ground. The cockpit need to be crystal clear to fly FPV with it, why not installing you cam higher, it will be better, forgot the cockpit.
I presently also working on a similar planes for aerobatic, my planes is the result of years of learning in FPV flying. I checked your planes and I already know, you will not like to fly FPV with it, too hard for beginner.
Dec 27, 2006, 01:22 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for reply on my question...

I will buy a new transmitter/receiver when range-video have it in stock again. I know I need a better camera, I will try to find the money i need, and order the KX-131 too.

I will love to see my tilt-system in other systems, and you are free to use it. ) Post a picture here if you do, I'm always curius...

The smoked-canopy will be replaced to a crystal clear, but I think I will fly without it..
The camera will be fitted higher. The servo will be fitted with the two screws from top of the plywood, this will lift the cam 7.5mm (0.3 in)...

My system can be fitted inside now 6 of my planes. My first full FPV try will not be in the Katana Mini, but my EasyGlider Electric (Multiplex). I'm a ok skilled pilot and I don't think the Katana Mini will be a problem to fly, but it don't like hard landings... The EPP Easyglider will be better..

The other planes which can hold the system is a 1.2meter Cessna Cardinal, a 3.2meter scale DG600 glider, Wingo, and a Hyperion Chipmunk 10e
Dec 27, 2006, 01:34 PM
Hey A-Z,
We have a new FPV forum. I have asked the Admins to move this thread over that direction. Hopefully we can work together over there and track the progress..

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=469

--Scott
Dec 27, 2006, 01:38 PM
Thread OP
Ok. Nice to have our own place.... I hope the Admins will move this thread to the correct place..
Dec 27, 2006, 02:07 PM
What a nice idea for the tilt movement!

I have to add a second servo for the tilt, so maybe I´ll copy you

Thanks for the idea

Andres

Quick Reply