My first Lipo FIRE !!!! - RC Groups
Dec 23, 2006, 02:53 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Discussion

My first Lipo FIRE !!!!

At the flying field this , was innocently charging my batteries on the front of the pickup truck , the hood open and the batteries dangling over the fender.... Heard a loud sound like someone flying into my truck (a sound we are most familar with ) went around to investigate and saw foot high flames coming off my fender.... ran over grabbed charger , batteries (flamer and all) and tossed it away from the truck ....for some reason a 3s 700 decided to go South (quickly) ....we checked and couldn't find any reason for the problem , but it was totally destroyed anong with the wire adjacent to it .... an nice black spot on my fender was luckily removed with a rag and some water.... Lucky this time , but MS and I agreed we need to change our charging habits .... Put a LONG cord on the charger so I can put the charger on the ground now, and got a small metal tray to put the batteries in ...

we always thought it happened to the other guy , but now we'll, know to be carefull .... Charging at home will no longer be done on my desk , but in the middle of the Hanger floor (concrete) in a metal tray or ash bucket ....

a word the wise is sufficient ... don't think it can't happen to you ...
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2006, 02:58 PM
zagnutz fiend
WHEW! Lucky lucky! Glad no real damage was done.WE ALL need to heed your advise and be much more careful!!!
Dec 23, 2006, 03:01 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Glad to hear the damage was very minor, gpw. I just bought a few lipo's myself within the last month, so that's a good reminder to me to be VERY careful with them. Fortunately, I have breezeway between my house and garage, and I use clay pot to charge them in.

Another thing to consider, instead of running a longer wire from your truck/car battery is to use one of those portable "battery jumper" units. It's meant to jump a car battery, but works great as a portable Lipo charger power source, and you can place it WELL out of harm's way (like a truck or car). That's what I use currently.
Dec 23, 2006, 03:11 PM
Look outside the Square
Gpw just a quick question? Since everything looked OK after the fire, did you or do you charge through a balance plug. If so it could have been the small pins in the balance plug have come loose and touched while charging. The Problem I just mentioned happened to me. It happened so quick with no warning. Didnt loose the battery, had just stuck them on to charge and saw smoke , disconnected straight away. Everything looked fine but a closer look revealed that they ( 2 of the pins )had come out enough just to touch. I was also charging from the car at the time. I check the pins every time now. The Batt since then has had no probs charging with the pins firmly put back into the plug.
Sorry for the loss. Their not cheap.
Regards Box
Dec 23, 2006, 03:11 PM
Frequent Flyer
Thanks for posting that GPW! Very cool that you got away with minimal damage.

Any idea what may have caused the flameup? What charger were you using?
Dec 23, 2006, 03:21 PM
Suspended Account
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, thankfully you and MS are okay, as well as your truck (a.k.a. Air Craft Carrier). I have had only 2 close calls with my lipos both inside the plane and both were due to overdraw. This was when I first started BTW.
Harry
Dec 23, 2006, 03:27 PM
At least the trucks ok! I put my lipos in a glass bowl at home when charging
Dec 23, 2006, 03:28 PM
gpw
gpw
Etek 700... 3s not using the balance plug ...direct ... checked everything , and we had flown that battery earlier , and only for a short time ... poly charge 4 charger set @1c (700mah)...we talked it over , and don't really know what happened .... ????

Plan to get a "battery jumper" to charge from ... makes sense ... AWAY from the truck/car ...

We've had really good luck all these years with this aspect of lipos so may have become complacent... Now I wonder about all those cell phones and laptops ?????
Dec 23, 2006, 03:32 PM
Suspended Account
When charging at home and the field I use one of our old pots from the house. Its big, heavy and made of metal that can handle the heat. Bonus is that its non-stick.
Dec 23, 2006, 03:37 PM
Build it again, Sam!
I take a NATO ammobox for charging - great thing that should prevent from damage
Dec 23, 2006, 03:56 PM
gpw
gpw
Ms mentioned using zip lock bags full of sand in a metal bucket ....battery in the sand... sand extinguishes the fire..... ???? PIA , but effective...
ammo box sounds Cool !!! and it's got a lid...
Dec 23, 2006, 04:00 PM
JAM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
I told you guys to quit using the really really hot sauce........it'll eat through anything including your Li-Po's............

Glad to hear you guys are ok and that damage was minimal......would have been a bad way to spend x-mas...........I think I need to make some changes to where I charge....

Jason
Dec 23, 2006, 04:09 PM
Victoria Super Mortem

Oh No...

How's the Clam? Did it hurt the Clam? Oh my God..!!!

Just kidding... glad to hear all turned out o.k. and no real damage. I've got one of those E-tec 700's and its been great. But, they are all succeptable to having a problem if they are a lipo right? I too use a NATO 5.56mm ammo can with sand in the bottom and keep a chemical dry extinguisher next to the metal shelf that I put the ammo can on at home and have the same extinguisher for the car. I use an entire car battery and probably that same charger you're using and just carry it and the ammo can to the field if I need to. Once a week I trickle charge the car battery to keep it fresh and I've had this one for over a year. Supposedly, that charger you're talking about will sound an alarm if the battery it's charging is incapable of accepting the charge you've asked it to send, also after the charging has begun, even if you turn up the MAH rate, the charger is supposed to keep it at what you originally set it at.. or am I thinking about some other kind???
Glad everyone's ok.

Bo
Dec 23, 2006, 04:16 PM
gpw
gpw
Electra Fly Poly charge 4 .... I thought it was supposed to do all that ???? I dunno' ...But I'm DARN sure more carefull now...

Clam was at home ... resting !!!!hahahahaha Sat. morn is test flying day , so we don't embarrass ourselves on Sunday ... I kinda' wish everyone had seen this as it would have instilled the fear in them ...
Dec 23, 2006, 04:24 PM
JAM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Yeah nothin' like the rath of the "Flame Gods" to get you to do it right eh'

Jason