Dec 23, 2006, 01:54 AM
Thread OP
Question

Receivers that work with Spektrum Radios that are not made by Spektrum

Hi, I was wondering if there are any receivers that work with the DX6 or DX7 that are not made by Spektrum. If there isn't any, then does anybody know if this will happen in the future? It would be cool if there was a cheaper receiver that would work with Spektrum radios instead of just the $50 BR6000 and the AR6000 made by Spektrum.

Bill
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2006, 03:30 AM
LAN
LAN
No, that will be very unlikely. Not impossible, but it would probably be very difficult to reverse-engineer the protocol in use.
Dec 23, 2006, 06:00 AM
VE7FM
Its already been done for the ground Spektrum system. The Nomadio transmitter can control Spektrum receivers.
Sep 14, 2009, 05:05 PM
Yes, hopefully a more affordable air version is on the way (if it works?)
Lucas
Sep 14, 2009, 10:31 PM
Nope
don't expect to see it happen
The DSM2 is a protected system - and unlike the hoppers
IF Spektrum elects to sell rights to it -then you may see some.
the DSM ground radio protection - if it exists at all,is an unknown to me.
Jul 02, 2010, 02:52 PM
Richard Cox
Hah! HK is now selling Spekrum compatible receivers.
Jul 02, 2010, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cox
Yes, with cheaper electronic parts than spec, I wouldn't put one in any model I liked

tk
Jul 02, 2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cox

John Ruskin said it many, many years ago "There is hardly anything in this world that a man cannot make a little (or a lot) worse and sell for a little (or a lot) less and those who consider price alone are this man's lawful prey."
[ quote with very minor mods]

Not in any plane I own either.
"tkallev" is right on.
Last edited by onewasp; Jul 02, 2010 at 05:16 PM.
Jul 02, 2010, 05:43 PM
Thread OP
It's funny how 4 years after I made this thread, I still continue to use the original AR6000 receivers in all of my parkflyers. I don't trust ANY AR6100's, and now I really don't because there is a HUGE amount of chinese knock offs out there. When I made this thread, I was hoping that a big brand name company would make a cheaper Spektrum compatible receiver such as Hitec, etc. But I knew i'd see the day when the chinese finally figured out how to produce much cheaper Spektrum compatible receivers. But like said above, I would NEVER trust them in any plane that I spent more than $50 on.
Jul 02, 2010, 11:48 PM
BD what is the problem with AR6100e, I was thinking about getting one
Jul 03, 2010, 10:52 AM
Suspended Account
You made a bad choice if you could not afford expensive receivers. You are stuck with Spektrum.

Before you select a brand, check the receiver price.

There are a bunch of cheap and good quality Chinese 2.4 modules/receivers. I checked them out and all worked fine with no problem. If you have a module transmitter, switching is easy and cheap.
Jul 03, 2010, 07:24 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Flyer
It's funny how 4 years after I made this thread, I still continue to use the original AR6000 receivers in all of my parkflyers. I don't trust ANY AR6100's, and now I really don't because there is a HUGE amount of chinese knock offs out there. When I made this thread, I was hoping that a big brand name company would make a cheaper Spektrum compatible receiver such as Hitec, etc. But I knew i'd see the day when the chinese finally figured out how to produce much cheaper Spektrum compatible receivers. But like said above, I would NEVER trust them in any plane that I spent more than $50 on.
That i s how I feel about using certified Spektrum (only uses DSSS on 2 ch) in any plane that I spent more then $50.00 on.
Jul 04, 2010, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kim
You made a bad choice if you could not afford expensive receivers. You are stuck with Spektrum.

Before you select a brand, check the receiver price.

There are a bunch of cheap and good quality Chinese 2.4 modules/receivers. I checked them out and all worked fine with no problem. If you have a module transmitter, switching is easy and cheap.

Let's see John: ---- Former competitors at my fields flying now simply for enjoyment. That includes me.
Set ups; Servos $100 each (median figure) x 5 = $500
Airframe, (least expensive in use) = $200.
Battery Pack (we all use A123s) $45 to $60.
----plus appropriate charger-- we all use FMA 4S; Multi4; or 10S . Price from $70 to $200.
Ground equipment beyond the charger we won't even list.
I have intentionally left out the electric fliers as their numbers are a bit higher.

Totals: low = $815
high (most of us) = $960

Rx's (not included in these figures) --- seems we all use the $100 or over types.

But YOU suggest that we risk it all with an Rx of unknown lineage which is admittedly a CHEAP copy of the real thing.

The odds you promote are at minimum 10 to 1 and at worst 12 to 1.
The numbers I've presented here are intentionally on the low side of the actual dollar amount.

In dollars you are betting that a saving of $80 justifies the risk we would assume through "going Cheap" on the Rx (which could be considered the 'brains' of the whole airborne rig).

You present faulty logic in my opinion.
Further, none of us are even interested in taking ONE flight with such an Rx ---- even if it were free.

But then, we have only been flying for fifty years plus (each)-----Perhaps time will give us a different perspective on RC and its costs.

We are late seventies to early eighties (your age group) and all began flying RC long before digital proportional made its appearance.
Along the way, most all of us have experienced losses (through crashes) of a few hundred dollars (on the low side) and over $1000 on the high end.
No jets or large Helis involved or the latter number could be many times higher.

Occupations (former) in this group range from hourly to MD's and PHD's with Corporate officers thrown in.
The complete Spektrum (couldn't resist) if you will.

The vast majority of us are also ex-military. WWII, Korea and one vet from Viet Nam, so we didn't come from pampered life styles.

Oh, BTW we are all retired living on fixed incomes so there is no big cash coming in, yet we consider our equipment choices quite reasonable.
Very reasonable when you consider that none of us have had any equipment failures whatsoever.

What do we recommend to our younger counterparts ? The very same set ups.
Simply a choice of total reliability over your suggested "unknown"-----but cheap.

I do not agree with you at all.
Jul 04, 2010, 09:59 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewasp

Let's see John: ---- Former competitors at my fields flying now simply for enjoyment. That includes me.
Set ups; Servos $100 each (median figure) x 5 = $500
Airframe, (least expensive in use) = $200.
Battery Pack (we all use A123s) $45 to $60.
----plus appropriate charger-- we all use FMA 4S; Multi4; or 10S . Price from $70 to $200.
Ground equipment beyond the charger we won't even list.
I have intentionally left out the electric fliers as their numbers are a bit higher.

Totals: low = $815
high (most of us) = $960...
While, of course, you are absolutely correct, but some of us have planes that we have $100 or less tied up in that will only be flying a couple of hundred yards away. I am perfectly willing to put one of those receivers in one of those planes.
On one of my first string planes, worth well more than $100, I would only use the original AR7000 or better. Like the motorcycle riders say, "a $50 helmet for a $50 head."
But there is a place for the cheap receivers, and I just ordered a couple.
Jul 04, 2010, 10:17 AM
Well said Onewasp,
I can't see the logic of risking even a hundred buck ARF on a no name receiver to save 20 bucks or so.
I currently fly the little Electrifry L-39 foam EDF, only a C note including the brushless motor and fan. I would not want something that fast and quiet going outta control at the field. The $59 MSRP receiver I run in it will hopefully serve me through many smaller planes.
A safe and sane 4th of July to ALL, and don't forget what it's all about
Pete

Quick Reply