Sep 13, 2002, 03:32 PM
Motor Maniac
Thread OP
Question

Eclipse TX with V-tail, setup?

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but I'm a newbie when it comes to HLG. Transitioning from my FocusIII to my Eclipse for a V-tail HLG (Gambler from Wright Brothers RC), no ailerons or other control surfaces. I have the two servos on CH2 and CH4 per the Eclipse instructions. With the V-tail mode enabled I have elevator control the right stick and rudder control on the left stick. I can understand this is preferable if you have a glider with ailerons as you would want them on the right stick. But how about with a simple V-tail like this? Should I try the Elevon configuration or use mixes to get the rudder-type control on the right stick so I am just using a single-stick for control?

Thanks in advance.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2002, 03:43 PM
You should just be using a single stick for control on your Gambler. I don't have an Eclipse Tx but you should easily be able to do this in the V-Tail mode. I'm just guessing but maybe you should connect the servos to channels 1 & 2 rather than 2 & 4.

Greg
Sep 13, 2002, 03:52 PM
You need to add a mix.

Need to mix ailerons to rudder at 50-100%.

That way when you move the right stick for ailerons, it'll activate the rudder part of the V-tail mix. This is SOP for setting up R/E gliders with V-tails.

ian
Sep 13, 2002, 04:27 PM
I'm not sure about the Eclipse, but on a Futaba you can control a V-tail by using using channels 1 and 2 and setting it up for elevons. This allows you to control it using the right stick. You may have to play with the servo reversing and switching which servos go to which channel, but you should be able to get it to work.
Sep 13, 2002, 04:38 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
Same thing on a Flash 5 so the Eclpise shoul be the same.

V-Tail enabled on channel 2&4 and the VT works fine, but moving the left stick will owrk the rudder too.
Sep 13, 2002, 05:53 PM
Fly Safe and Check 6
I have the Eclipse 7 and I'm using channel 1 and 2 and elevon mixing in ACRO mode. Seems to work good.

After reading the thread, can someone comment as to whether it would be better to run in Glider mode and use the v-tail option?

Victor
Sep 13, 2002, 06:18 PM
Registered Lifeform
Victor,

I think you are exactly right- for a rudder/elevator glider using an elevon or delta mix is the much simpler solution. There is no reason to have rudder control on two sticks, and no reason to do complicated programming for a simple glider.

Paul
Sep 15, 2002, 07:34 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
With the eclipse, you use the 'Elevon' mix for a 2-channel V-tail plane. The 'V-tail' mix puts the rudder and elevator into the mix, you really want the aileron and elevator mixed, and that is the elevon mix on the Eclipse.
Sep 15, 2002, 09:22 PM
Motor Maniac
Thread OP

Many thanks to all

Thanks for all the responses. For now I have settled on using the elevon mix on channels 1 and 2. This does seem the simplest way to set up a V-tail glider with no ailerons. Flew it a bit this weekend with this setup and liked it.

Ian, your method would work, but would take one more step in the setup. Nothing really wrong with doing it that way.

Greg, the Eclipse V-tail mix requires the two servos on channels 2 and 4. Ailerons are on channel 1. I guess this is different on different computer TX's.

Allan, got my best flight so far, 45 seconds. May not sound like much to veterans, but it was a major improvement for me. There wasn't much lift, just enough to eke out a few feet of altitude once or twice, but that was enough to add 20 seconds to my average flight time.
Sep 17, 2002, 10:35 AM

V-Tails

I have had a Flash5X and now have an Eclipse. You're right that it is simpler to set up a rudder-elevator V-tail ship as elevon, but if you're going to move toward aileron or flaperon ships in the future, you might as well set it up right with the V-tail mixes available on the Eclipse in GLID mode.

Most importantly, when you want to use preset launch, cruise, thermal and landing trims for rudder and elevator, using the Flight Condition and Flight Mode switches (VERY POWERFUL features) you'll have the servos plugged into the correct channels. With the rudder and elevator being run as elevons, the situation will be hopelessly confused.

Quick Reply