Sep 13, 2002, 09:59 AM
Thread OP

What electric connectors do people recommend for a plug in wing tip?

I have a 110" wingspan Exploiter and the wing comes in three pieces. I have simply been using the normal servo connector coming out of the two outer wing panels plugged into a three foot servo extension wires to connect up the aileron servos. The problem is there isn't enough room to handle the excess wiring where the wing comes together. I want to hard wire and glue male/female electrical connectors that will automatically connect when I plug in the wing panels. (No excess wire to deal with then.) Any recommendations for the electrical connectors I should use and where to buy them? I have some Deans three pin connectors but they seem very tight for automatic connectors that will be glued with the female in the center wing panel and the males in the wing tips. Thanks for any help. Mike
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2002, 10:16 AM
Thread OP
Attached is a picture of the Exploiter
Sep 13, 2002, 11:59 AM
Mike-
I haven't tried it yet myself, but several people at the field I fly use the Deans 3-pin for an 'automatic' servo connection. They glue the connectors with a compliant adhesive (like RTV?). The male connector goes on the wing panel with the joiner to help protect the pins during transport.

-Tracy
Sep 13, 2002, 12:48 PM
MTT
MTT
I care about rising air !

Plug-in wing wiring connectors

Mike, I have used the 5-pin Multiplex connectors for this already on several sailplanes, with good results. These connectors are available here in the US from Multiplex USA, look here : Multiplex R/C accesories

I am also using this type of connectors on my Cumulus e from CHK/Shredair.
It has a 4-piece wing, and I made the connection between the outer and inner panels this way :
These are 4-pin connectors, which came with the kit, similiar to the 5-pin Multiplex connectors:
The connection is made automatically, when joining the panels.
Also see here :
Cumulus e from Shredair/CHK

Michael
Last edited by MTT; Sep 13, 2002 at 12:51 PM.
Sep 13, 2002, 02:41 PM
I like the Multiplex 6-pin high current connectors. Lots of surface area.

Pete
Sep 13, 2002, 03:15 PM
Thread OP
I want to thank you three for the quick responses. I like the Multiplex five pine connectors for future projects. I think I will try the deans three pins for this plane since people Tracy knows has had success with them and I already have them on hand. I suspect that if they are too tight I will experience my problem pluggin in while the plane is on the ground and while that will be a bummer it shouldn't damage the plane just be an inconvience if I have to rework it in the future. Next time I have to place an order with Multiplex I will get some of the other pin connectors recommended. Thanks again. Mike
Sep 13, 2002, 04:21 PM
deans 3 pin or multiplex are the 4 best way to go

Quick Reply