Jan 07, 2013, 09:43 AM
Visitor from Reality
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorh View Post
CB, Here's the link to the Each Way Bet that Nick mentioned. It started out as an April fool spoof 23 years ago and it's a topic that has come back to haunt me at intervals ever since. I'm in remission at the moment so don't get me started!
Back then, the UK magazines played heavily on the 'April Fool' spoof thing. 'Each Way Bet' involved lighthearted props - the one about mentally controlled FPV with a full laboratory setting built on a flying field with a model in flight was really good.

Now, it's really terrifying, as it can't be far away from being possible. Can you imagine the mental capacity of an iSpendPhone fanatic who'd be told to buy that stuff flying a model aircraft?

That's still more like Sci-Fi. Who's going to see if EWB works then?

I aren't! One - cluck, cluck, cluck. Two - still plucking up the nerve to build 'VSC' (Very Short Canard), which, I fervently hope, will be persuaded to fly in the usual direction...!

D
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2013, 10:06 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
"Don't get me started!"

As you say Dereck, I have enough trouble getting my planes to fly in the usual direction as it is.

Trevor, your web site is fascinating!

Jan 07, 2013, 01:23 PM
Hi all! Here are some pictures of my last model I built. A Graupner Canary kit I found at a swap meeting for just 10 €!
I followed exactly the building instruction contained in the kit but, instead to leave the model undoped as suggested, I used esaky tissue applied with polyurethane dope (two hands).
Just to clear the canard fore-plane from the ground during landing, I added a skid using spare GWS plastic parts.
By instructions, the canard plane is kept in place with a single nylon screw which let the canard rotate fore and after and allows the elevator to change incidence, so I modified the way the fore-plane is fixed adding two plywood pivots.
Instead of gluing the elevator servo inside the fuselage, with minimum effort I easily made it demountable.
Jan 07, 2013, 02:54 PM
Visitor from Reality
Lovely model Guizzo. Classy finish, plus the stitched hinge on the elevators is very tasteful. You got very lucky finding this kit for that price.

Regards

Dereck
Jan 07, 2013, 05:34 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
Neat covering job. Lots of color and it looks like it would be very visible in the air.

Ok, for those of us over here across the pond, 10 eruos, if I read it right, is about how many US dollars. I don't have any idea what the exchange rate would be.

Nice job.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Jan 08, 2013, 12:11 AM
AMA16634...Just Me
1 Euro equals
1.31 US Dollar

Google is your friend......
Jan 08, 2013, 08:02 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
So for about $13 he got a great kit and what a building job. Love the colors and it looks very sharp.

Never thought about google, ya gotta remember, some things I am still learning. I will keep that in my mind for future use.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred

Thanks again for the info.
Jan 08, 2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks all for your kind words.
I forgot to say that the final weight is 12Oz, just 1 oz above the weight suggested on the kit for a naked model (in general this datum is always quite optimistic for any kit and despite the brand name!)
This afternoon I made the flight test and I may say that the model flies well with no bad habits.
All in all a good small motor glider kit I got for 1/6 of its normal cost!
Jan 08, 2013, 04:27 PM
AMA16634...Just Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
.......ya gotta remember, some things I am still learning........
Conehead
Orrin Eldred

Thanks again for the info.
Hey Orrin, I think we are all learning, thanks to these forums and of course Google.....

Have a good one,

Don
Jan 13, 2013, 03:39 AM

Long EZ

Stang513

How's your EZ project? Here's a picture to inspire... This one flew all the way around the world.

Look at that tiny canard! I don't think we can get away with it in model sizes.
Jan 13, 2013, 01:05 PM
I actually would really love to own one of those planes in full sized scale. Maybe during retirement...maybe...
Jan 14, 2013, 03:25 AM
Quote:
I actually would really love to own one of those planes in full sized scale. Maybe during retirement...maybe...
Here's a really good blog of the round-the-world adventures of that one.

Jan 18, 2013, 10:14 AM
Jyester
Hey everyone taking some advice from conehead and I'm gonna post some pics of my little canard plane. Before I go any further I need to know a few things like CG and wing positions high wing canard vs. shoulder wing or low wing. Basically everything about canard wing aircraft. Will post pics after work thanks conehead and to anyone answering questions.
Jan 18, 2013, 02:59 PM
Hi Jyester!

It's impossible to describe a general rule on CG, in general and maybe even more concerning canards.
Therefore I'd like to recommend the use of a CG-calculator.
Here is one I got recommended to me by another fellow RCG-user, Coriolan, in a buildingthread that became centered, essentially, around an adaptation of the Dead-Simple-Wing into a canard design ( https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1676705 ). Btw, it's more than likely I'll revive that thread sometime...
CG-calculator: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...02&postcount=1 . It's fairly complete, though you don't have to use it in its entire complexity (complex wings and fuselages can be simulated, mass location can be taken into account and more...).
When i first took a glance at it, it seemed difficult to get to use, but I finaly found it much more approchable than expected.
Last edited by Chrizz; Jan 18, 2013 at 05:11 PM.
Jan 18, 2013, 04:49 PM
Here's a good one...

canard calculator. There's lots of other good pages on that site too.

Good luck Jyester, keep us posted.

Quick Reply