Jan 14, 2008, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777
Heres what I got so far. The canard is about 20-25% of the wing area, but all moving.
The flight control idea came from this link. There's 2 vids to see.
Let me know what you think. Butch
The potential issue with all-moving canards is that it may be possible to stall the canards due to control inputs, which results in a loss of pitch control. To avoid that, I would keep the canard control deflections very small for the initial flights and mostly rely on the elevons for control. There is probably more information in the Gripen 39 thread, but its a long time since I read through it.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2008, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canard addict
One before that page seven and its not the Robo preadator this ones a true cannard theres also one called trekki did I send u a scan Charles of the article?
Jan 14, 2008, 12:57 PM
Thread OP
Butch 777, I know you are having fun and it's good to know that our thread has helped. The foam fellows seem to have gone wild with all kinds of canard designs. This is a current one: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=8#post8908788 Airboat, I can't recall the Trekki. You have produced such a vast amount of material here and to me personally that my old memory just can't cope sometimes. How about a re-run if you can find it? I have the front wing of my sailplane started and will show soon. John, How about another peek at your project? Charles
Jan 14, 2008, 05:44 PM
I will try to sen it to you charles but search this site for UK unusuals its the old Nexus archive.... loads of stuff http://www.myhobbystore.com/GroupLis...d-956127099819
Jan 14, 2008, 07:34 PM
Hit the AMA show on Friday and saw this sitting on a table. Thought I would snap a couple and share with you guys.

Don't remember any details, but it was quite large. The mind is going due to a cold. Sorry.

Mike
Jan 14, 2008, 08:02 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, Smash. That is the first tail dragger I have seen. It may need tail weight. Charles
Jan 15, 2008, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canard addict
I have the front wing of my sailplane started and will show soon. John, How about another peek at your project? Charles
There isn't anything more to show. I have finalised the plans but there hasn't been any more build progress in 2008 so far. I am looking forward to see your latest!
Jan 15, 2008, 10:39 AM
Thread OP

Canard Sailplane Build

The canard wing is being built. It seems that it will be light and strong. The LE and TE are hard balsa and the center spars are spruce. The tips have been changed a little since the build started. The center section with the elevator control spar is getting tedious. Overall, The model still has the excitement. Charles
Jan 15, 2008, 06:46 PM
3d and EDF, some scale
hey guys. I've been off this thread for a few weeks and missed alot of conversation!. Been flying my Sabre Canard everytime I go to the field and it is just a fun very nice flying plane. I can hold full up elevator at half power and fly around the field under high alpha for as long as I want. I've been working on a Maule but this idea sparked into my head yesterday and I may just have it flying at FITS.Haven't been able to find a decent job so just building and flying for now.

I can't take pics of my drawing since my cam just broke

Basically the idea is to take a profile biplane type 3d plane and add a canard on the nose the same size and shape as the elevator.
Jan 15, 2008, 07:43 PM
Thread OP
Kyle ACE, good to hear from you and glad you are keeping a canard flying. We will not be able to attend FITS because of back to back cases of a winter bug. Are there any other Florida meets that you know of? We love to come down and get some warm air during winter. Maybe Spring Hill? Charles
Jan 15, 2008, 08:22 PM
3d and EDF, some scale
Charles,the only other FL event scheduled right now that I know of is our clubs. Hope you can make this one and get well soon! https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799364
Jan 16, 2008, 08:56 AM
YardGoat lives with mama
You all should just come up to Hodges for the Pop Curtis Memorial Fly-in 11-13 April. It is a great event for gas/glow/eletric alike. Not nearly as busy as SEFF.
Jan 16, 2008, 10:52 AM
Thread OP
Sounds great to me. I always enjoy flying there. Charles
Jan 16, 2008, 02:03 PM
I got the parts ruffed out. I just got to figure out all the mounting and controls. Butch
Jan 16, 2008, 02:29 PM
Thread OP
Butch, That looks sharp like a Firebat. Be sure to use elevons. Seems like you said you would. Charles

Quick Reply