Sep 20, 2021, 07:55 PM
The E-flite Champ is the best looking and most scale other than Sky's Champ. Sky's Champ flies like a Champ is supposed to. The E-flite is not a floater at all, and is way too heavy to fly scale. The Nosen/AA Champ's cowlings are so horrible and ugly in the .40 and 1/4 scale, they ruin the whole airplane. The Nosen Citabria is the same way, just horrible. Whoever made the molds for Nosen didnt have a clue, or eyes for that matter.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2021, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj3cub
The E-flite Champ is the best looking and most scale other than Sky's Champ. Sky's Champ flies like a Champ is supposed to. The E-flite is not a floater at all, and is way too heavy to fly scale. The Nosen/AA Champ's cowlings are so horrible and ugly in the .40 and 1/4 scale, they ruin the whole airplane. The Nosen Citabria is the same way, just horrible. Whoever made the molds for Nosen didnt have a clue, or eyes for that matter.
As I mentioned in the other thread that's why you use a Pilot cowl on the Nosen. It does seem something odd happened with the mold as the lower intake is wrong but I think I can fix it. I'll be documenting the build later this winter. After looking over the plans the main mistake I found with the cowl was on the Citabria they made it the same length as the Champ which is wrong. This makes it looks stubby. With the pilot cowl it should fit over the firewall a bit to snug it up against the windscreen properly and should look pretty correct. The other main problem with the Nosen is the top of the fuselage to the tail is the same width as the bottom which is incorrect. My plan is to narrow the top to get the lines right back there. Otherwise the Nosen fits the scale drawings fairly well.

Name: IMG_20210915_165005.jpg
Views: 18
Size: 121.0 KB
Description:

As for small Champs don't forget the ones by P. Trittle as they are extremely light for their size.
Sep 21, 2021, 10:06 AM
UC/RC Flyer

AA Industries

Lil ski well that’s some good info, theAA Industries Champ I don’t think was to scale. I started the wing build, and your right the belly is not right. And the longerons were not installed on the side and belly pan. Those are all easy fixes, I’ve reinforced several areas or plan to. Using lite plywood gussets.
Sep 21, 2021, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Brink
Lil ski well that’s some good info, theAA Industries Champ I don’t think was to scale. I started the wing build, and your right the belly is not right. And the longerons were not installed on the side and belly pan. Those are all easy fixes, I’ve reinforced several areas or plan to. Using lite plywood gussets.
Overall it's not terrible. The overall shape of the fuselage and tail feathers fit the scale drawings very well. It's just the little details that are off and are fairly easily fixable.
Sep 23, 2021, 08:12 PM
UC/RC Flyer
I went to my local hobby shop, 65 miles. And they had a big order of spruce. I was able to get the 1/4 inch square I needed to complete my left wing spars. Your right about the details, being an easy fix, just takes time and a little ingenuity, to make it work. I was wondering about the similarity’s between the Presedent from Europe and the bud AA Industries 1/4 scale version champ. Thy are pretty much the same, drawing wise, I rolled them back up and put them away, I had Hurd how similar they were ,but I never had compaired the two kits.
Sep 24, 2021, 08:54 AM
Lucky to have a hobby shop at all. All in Tucson closed ..
Sep 25, 2021, 06:19 PM
UC/RC Flyer

Tucson hobby shops!

Oh when I flew for Emery I use to visit a great hobby shop in Tucson, with in walking distance of the hotel. They had a lot of Sig kits, and a great engine parts counter. Used Kraft radios, receivers, and transmitter battery’s, I bought a few fir my Old Futaba six channel
Sep 29, 2021, 09:30 PM
UC/RC Flyer
I was wondering about Phoenix One of the shops had a U control facility and sold a lot of U control hardware. Guys flew their all the time. I know it’s a two hour drive from Tucson, Aviation is a big thing in .Arizona,
Sep 30, 2021, 06:22 AM
VSC Vintage Stunt Championship event is still held in Tucson with some beautiful Ucontrol airplanes
Sep 30, 2021, 04:15 PM
UC/RC Flyer
Ya I recall that, Saturday maybe it started on .friday. It was held at a baseball facility, really nice grass, lots of fun they had a Carrier event
Oct 02, 2021, 01:51 PM
UC/RC Flyer

Another hobby shop closing after maybe 40 years.

Well I got the shock treatment on Friday, that hobby shop I usually buy from is closing, they would not let me in, because I was only buying some wood,I’ve traded their for 30 years, and they treated me like a lepore, the owner was really mean, only a few hobby shops in the area right now,
Oct 05, 2021, 01:46 PM

I need to post .....

..... to be able to find the thread easily. Laramie.
Jul 28, 2022, 11:29 AM
UC/RC Flyer
Well back to posting can’t believe how time is flying by, still working on my Projects have several in the works, My Doctor tested me for .Dislexia and I have it, very hard to concentrate on one Item.
.I have to go from project to project in my building process. It can get confusing having so many projects going at once, but at 76 it keeps me going. And my mind working, some say that’s important and a good part of the sickness. Depression is the bad part realizing I may not get anything completed. Just have it in the assembly process. I need to get back to my Flying U Control. It’s better than the RC as far as simplicity. One of my wife’s grand son tore up my E flight simulator really made me mad, never offered to fix it. I really helped me in my control of flying RC. I really need to take it to a computer guy and see what is wrong, their you go another project!
Jul 28, 2022, 01:00 PM
Instead of U-control (I'm 73 and I know my balance is not as good as it was) how about going to 3 channel RC? Slow, easy fliers, fairly simple. My old Livewire Champ was simple and easy to fly. I'd like to get back to that kind of flying and building.

Sorry to hear about the medical issues. It's not fun. I keep reminding myself how much worse a lot of people my age have it. Sometimes that helps, sometimes it doesn't. Definitely the hobby helps keep me going.
Jul 31, 2022, 12:40 PM
UC/RC Flyer
Hey Buzzard good to hear your doing well, ya I know ,I am still very fortunate. The hobby has always kept me pretty happy, If more kids were into UC and RC I don’t think we would be seeing what we have been seeing lately. I use to live on the lake, but taxes and jet ski’s ran me off. Build a Hanger in 1989 and decided to build an Apartment, living quarters. My hobby hut is here, might be crazy,but been comtiplating selling off some of my Old kits and getting a 1/3 scale Champ. It’s been my dream for many many years. Still thinking about it. I sold a Balsa USA 1/3 scale J-3 got four hundred for it. I was a beautiful kit. I was sorry I sold it and should have asked more for it but I got it in 1991 I think. Three of us were going to build it, it just didn’t work out, not a big fan for J-3s but I sure like the 7 AC Aeronca Champ.

Quick Reply